Is this a 2WD or 4x4?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
Trying to help a buddy of mine out living across the states. He picked up an 06 EB, says it has the 4.0 he thinks but hasn't got a chance to send me an engine bay pic yet. It doesn't have the 4x4 buttons on the dash so I assumed it was AWD but now from these pics I'm thinking it's 2WD.

C42F1607-B8A5-43CC-96D1-7A91AE71ECB4_zpslrslwvmx.jpg

33314977-645F-4D96-B44A-194224738FBC_zpsvvhxccqy.jpg

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2WD. No front drive shafts

Also, the AWD's all came with 4x4 high and Low.

But still. Absences of a mechanical drive to the front wheels = no front drive = 2WD.

No CV shafts, also, can he look under to see if it's got the pumpkin ?

Bummer. I was thinking about buying it from him too, good price and its clean aside from the hood needing to be re-clearcoated.

Don't think a 2WD Explorer would be fun in Michigan with long drives to/from work. Plus, I wouldn't be able to lift it with pride knowing its only 2WD

Thanks guys. I thought it was 2WD, but the splines/holes in the front hubs made me think otherwise.

Could pick it up for about $3000. 160k miles, Georgia vehicle, no rust. Interior looks spotless. Loaded minus nav/backup sensors/dvd system. The 2WD is really a deal breaker for me though. I haven't handled one of these Winters without AWD or auto 4WD in my 9 years of driving, don't know if id want to.

Back