• Register Today It's free!

Is this a Dana 35

kdbstl

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4WD
The mounts look like the diagrams and like the one on my 00 XLT. I found this at the junkyard earlier last year sitting next to the explorers. I haven't had mine off my truck to compare. What gets me is that the gears are marked 865. I don't know if the cover markings help. Any help is always appreciated.

Attachments

• DSC00356.JPG
    DSC00356.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 232
  • diff 001.jpg
    diff 001.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 226

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I can get a few more pics if that would help. I really don't know what an 865 ratio equals to. I'm certain that this is a compatible pumpkin. I haven't found a marking on there that actually is "Dana 35". The cover does have Dana above the numbers.

State your goal first - what are you trying to do? Replace your front axle assembly?

As for the "865" number, that's not the ratio. If you have the carrier and ring gear assembly with the axle housing, all you need to do is count the number of teeth and you should be able to find the ratio.

I am just wanting to rebuild or at least replace bearings to swap out. I was thinking the ratio was stamped like that on the ring and pinion. I just need to match the 3.73 but did not see that on either one. I was just looking for info to see if I did end up with the correct assembly. Do you know if the side gears and pinions in the carrier have bearings to replace? They seem to look ok but I can see the wear pattern on them without any marking ink.

Dana gears typically have tooth count markings such as "41-11", "41-10" or "39-11" to indicate their ratio (3.73, 4.10 & 3.55 respectively). You'll find them on the side of the ring gear, and on the pinion shaft (would need to remove the pinion to see them).

Great. 41 on the ring. Any advise on the side gears in the differential? Any advise on a good vendor to buy a rebuild kit for the front. I have seen a few on e-bay and other sites but I think they are primarily for rear d35. Suppose I can find them if I ask. The r+p look to be in good shape so I won't do anything but bearings. Off subject: How do you like the locker? Is it worth the money for a mainly road vehicle?

Thanks again, that was the info I needed.

ericautopart sells axle and drive-train components through automotive parts unlimited. I've never purchased from him but i know a few people who have and said he was incredibly helpful.

Back