FirefighterJose

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Middle Tennessee
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT 4.0 4wd
Hey guys! ( And any Gals )

I've owned two 3rd gen explorers and I don't know why... but I LOVE them!

I've been out of my last one for ahwile and really want to get back into another.

This time, I want to stay and not wish it had a sunroof, or black leather etc....

So instead of a local auction I'm looking at spending big bucks to get what I want.

I found this

2005 Limited
175,000 Miles ( Slightly worries me. Then again, we paid 15k for my wifes 08 pathfinder with similar miles )
Silver (Pearl) exterior
Black Leather Interior (IMO the holy grail, I woudn't have it any other way)
3rd Row Seating
Rear Parking Sensors
All the buttons on the steering wheel
All the bells and wistles expected on the top tier explorer

I don't know if it has rear air, and I don't think it has DVD. That's all okay...

I asked how much they want and they said $5,800.

KBB and NADA both price it at 6500ish so I guess according to the books it's about where it should be...

Pics:

00E0E_8ynyOGbKaqp_600x450.jpg

00v0v_4hI4tCqflSt_600x450.jpg

01010_4QskbOjmcAm_600x450.jpg

00404_ET7a78V7J6_600x450.jpg

00E0E_1Ro44h1l7jg_600x450.jpg

00101_kqPoo0lewsE_600x450.jpg

00w0w_jyrOLkDX5qd_600x450.jpg

00R0R_fRlaKmOSqI5_600x450.jpg

00303_cvoRu5VqpT4_600x450.jpg

00P0P_d53eRJ1ijzd_600x450.jpg

00H0H_67TBf9MFMNR_600x450.jpg

00H0H_67TBf9MFMNR_600x450.jpg

00n0n_1mcqb5JVsJP_600x450.jpg

01111_HJeqzTMUif_600x450.jpg

00z0z_iQYdGYyhofU_600x450.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is a lot of miles but the V8 is pretty bulletproof if maintained. Any known issues with it? Make sure everything works properly. I assume it is being sold "As Is - No Warranty"? Is it from a dealer, auction yard, or private party? It looks really clean and well maintained. Probably a company car with mostly highway miles. You checked NADA and KBB so it looks to be priced appropriately. I'd offer $5k and settle at $5200 or $5300, maybe $5500 if you really want it. Then be prepared to do another few hundred in all fluids and filters, maybe put a set of brakes and shocks on it, coolant flush/fill, might need ball joints/bushings and what not. Tires OK?

PS: And if you don't like it, I'll have my bro-in-law drive over from Knoxville and take it off your hands! :D

Looks like a dealer. I'll find out more monday when I call them about it.

We really need to sell my wifes car or one of mine before I take it on.
I really want it though. :/

I paid $5900 for my 02 Mountaineer in 2012 with only 99k miles. That price for an 11 year old vehicle with that many miles is too much IMO.

Too many miles, too many $$$.

Tom

imo very high miles for the money.. i don't really care if the v8 is a bulletproof engine, it's the components attached to it that's problematic.
with that mileage expect to pay more on maintaining it unless you've checked what was replaced by the PO. If you know how to wrench, it will save you a lot of money, this is the point where major suspension (and other) components start to show signs of replacement. nice if you've bought it from a private individual because you could ask for it's history, dealers doesn't care..

Alright thanks.
Yeah I'm plenty mechanically inclined to replace the motor if something were to happen.
Not really worried about that, I'll do all the work.
(Dropping my 540I BMW transmission tomorrow actually)

Monday I'll find out more. What should I be looking at price wise. 5,000?
Or should I even try to dip intothe 4's even though KBB and NADA are showing it's worth more. I see lesser explorers for that price so it's hard to me to chalk it off as just being too much.

Thanks

Personally I wouldn't offer over $3k for it but I'll throw lowball offers to dealerships to let them know they are overpriced.

What should I be looking at price wise. 5,000?
Or should I even try to dip intothe 4's even though KBB and NADA are showing it's worth more. I see lesser explorers for that price so it's hard to me to chalk it off as just being too much.

Thanks

If it's a dealership that has the car, they probably picked it up at an auction or thru a trade in and they got it cheap. Try and find out if they got it from an auction. I know from having a few friends that have dealers licenses that they can buy vehicles at dealer auctions for $2,000-$4,000 under what the vehicle is actually worth, so they have room to work with you on the price. I would start at $3,500, maybe you meet in the middle at $4,500 or some where around there. GL with it, the vehicle looks pretty clean and solid. I noticed a Triple A sticker on the bumper, so who ever had a Triple A road side assistance package, probably took decent care of it. Looks like they did anyway.

I paid $5,600 for my 2002 Ford Explorer EB from Daytona Beach, FL area. ALL THE OPTIONS. Early build 2002. 02/02. If it was 03/02 it would have had Rear AC and DVD.

63K miles. Little old lady who hated it. (He husbands car, he passed away.) Put $1,500 into it (new tires and all the maintenance). That puts me right at book value of $7,000 to $7,100. (A bit high for 15 year old vehicles IMO!)

That was in May of 2014. That was after 4 months of constant searching on CL and like sites.

I now have 80K on it.

It looks really clean. Check out the seats. Expect the drivers side to have a crack/split on the side. If the back are worn, or even the passenger, then it's had "use."
If all the seats are good, that's a good maintenance insight.

Create a free account at www.mycarfax.com and add it as one of 'your' vehicles. If your lucky, this will give you insight into its maintenance history.

The radio bezel and steering wheel controls are clean and intact, this tells me a woman didn't own it. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a 'Marines' sticker on the bumper. Probably owned by an older individual.

My only concern, is it has the ashtray/cigarette lighter option. I've NEVER seen this.

Mileage is high. If the engine and trans are original, the trans should go to the low 200's without issue. I'd demand to cold start the engine. Show up first thing, before they open so you can guarantee the engine hasn't been run for the day. Listen for chain rattle.

The '05 was the most solid version of the 3rd gen. Take it for a spin, get the lunging left and right hand turns. See if the bearings howl. Look for busted upper ball joint boots. See if the brake pedal pad is really worn.

If you could get it for $5k that'd be awesome. But someone else will pay the $5,800.

If it's as clean as it looks and you want to stay in this gen, get it. Body and trim say a lot. I'm willing to drop in an engine or trans if I can get the amenities in the vehicle I want.

I'm with you, it looks like it has everything I want in one. Middle Tennessee isn't too far, huh, let me know where it is and I'll "check it out for you."

Coworker just bought an '06 pathfinder with only 110k on it. After driving for a month, it had a miss. Cylinder 6 only has 30 psi. He wanted that or an Explorer. As he's not mechanically inclined, I told him to stay away from the Explorer. Oh well.

Edit: Found it BTW. It's not a dealer, they usually post their info on the ads. It's a used car seller at least. Auction car? Doesn't seem like the condition of a vehicle that goes to auction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 238

I have an X with ~172k miles on it, so hopefully I can provide a little bit of insight. Hopefully, most of the maintenance was done and any problems were fixed in good time.

Here are a few things to look for, all of which I've personally replaced in the last year or will be replacing in the very near future:

• Transmission (How does it shift between gears in Drive? How about going from Drive to Neutral to Reverse, etc.?)
  • Front upper & lower ball joints (Boots cracked? Wheels wiggle when not under a load?)
  • Tie rods (Play in the steering? Again, wheels wiggling)
  • Exhaust (mine blew apart behind the rear catalytic convertor a few months back)
  • Coil-overs (F&R -- I currently have a cracked rear spring which I'm about to swap out, the fronts were done last May)
  • Wheel bearings (F&R)
  • Multi-function switch (blinker/brights/wipers)
  • Parking/Emergency brake (does it hold the vehicle on a flat surface? on a hill?)

That one looks to be in 10x better condition, cosmetically, than my '04. I hope everything underneath is comparably good. If so, this thing might last you another 100k+ miles.

The price does seem a little steep, considering the age, but I'm sure $5800 leaves some room for negotiation. He probably picked it up for ~$4000-4500 if he's looking to make nearly $6k out of the deal.

[edit] any URLs in my post were auto-added, based on formatting. I'm not personally endorsing any sites or products

Cosmetically this one looks great.

My biggest concern would be the transmission. Having dealt with my own tranny nightmare on my 3rd gen I would be extremely hesitant unless the tranny has been replaced. It seems with the 5r55 it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when for most people

To give some perspective, I paid $2700 for my 2003 4.6 Eddie Bauer with 132k miles. I then dumped $1600 into the tranny within 6 months. On top of that about another $1000ish on struts, brakes, ect. Minus the tranny I did all my own work

Just based on the tranny issues with the 3rd gens I'll be avoid them in the future. I'm shopping for a 4th gen when I head to Florida in the next couple months.

Unless I'm mistaken, that's a 'Marines' sticker on the bumper. Probably owned by an older individual.

I noticed that sticker too, it seemed odd that it wasn't removed before the pictures were taken, but it looks like the National Rifle Association seal. Regardless of the content of the sticker, just make sure it isn't hiding a hole in the bumper!

I contacted them, it's a dealer and they quoted me $5,500. So they are somewhat flexible. If I was in the market, I'd definitly take a look at it.

[MENTION=148723]p71[/MENTION], you are right, you can just make out the words.

thanks guys

What about this deal. Just needs a tranny solenoid pack according to them....

How are the 06's.
http://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/5530869592.html

I talked them down to 3200. I think I can get it a little bit lower.

My wife and I are expecting, and we have to sell her suv to get rid of the pathfinder and she can't drive my truck.
So, if this 06 explorer looks promising I'm willing to take a chance at it....
They told me it was perfect until they found the transmission would pop out of gear and took it to a transmission shop.
The shop said it was definitely the solenoid sensor on the transmission. Well, the entire pack is $150 and I can replace it myself.
This would be great for my family if it panned out.

I'd go with the '05 personally.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd go with the '05 personally.

Ya, if one is going to go 4th Gen one should go 2010 then keep it forever since it's the last REAL Explorer, lol.

Maybe Ford will bring back the Bronco II or something I hope. I hate there being no mid-size RWD SUV by Ford anymore only the big ass Expedition.

Back