Is this my intake manifold gasket? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Is this my intake manifold gasket?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I have a coolant leak that I thought might be the waterpump before I started tearing down to allow a better view, as I posted in this thread: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=275205

After removal of the alternator and the bracket that holds it and the belt tensioner, I could see where my leak is. I'm guessing it's the lower intake manifold gasket, but I've never done any engine work of any kind, so if anyone can ID this spot...

First pic is to show you the general location, pic taken from passenger headlight.
All pics show what I think is a chunk of gasket hanging out, highlighted with the red ring. Last pic is from above for a better perspective.

Also, the yellow ring is showing one of the three bolt holes for the alternator bracket. It's oily, but oil is not leaking out. The other two holes were 'dry'. Does that mean a problem, or does that bolt just protrude into the block?

Attachments

• intakepics 001.jpg
    intakepics 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 2,634
  • intakepics 003.jpg
    intakepics 003.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 2,504
  • intakepics 004.jpg
    intakepics 004.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 2,497
  • intakepics 005.jpg
    intakepics 005.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 2,440

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh yeah, this is on my 93 Ranger, it's the 4.0 OHV, and no part of the engine has ever been touched, mileage is ~240,000.

I see a few things it might be.

The lower intake leaking where it meets the head/block and the heater hose connection.

It looks like you still have the cooling system closed. If so, I'd pressurize the cooling system after you clean off all the goop and see if you can find the leak. Harbor Fright makes a pressure tester. I'd bring the pressure up to no more than 18-20 lbs. That will be higher than your normally have when running but it will help find the leaks/weak spots.

The oily stuff could just be dirt/road grime sticking to the coolant residue. Could also be valve covers but I can't tell from the pic but at 240k miles it won't take much of a seep/leak to end up making that big of a mess.

~Mark

Holy greese monkeys BATMAN!!! :eek:

I think you need one of these to find the engine first Bill! :p:

scraper.jpg

Gaskets

Whats happening here? It looks like your cover gasket is getting shoved out too.

BillsCover-vi.jpg

That could be where the oil came from.

Well, after searching and reading here and other sites, I have a slightly better idea of it all. That corner apparently is a common spot for gasket failure. And a found a pic that shows there's a water passage right there, too. (you guys probably knew that).
Here's a couple links for future reference for anyone else with this problem:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/232373-coolant-loss-4-0l-ohv-lower-intake-gasket.html
Lots of good discussion here, especially on choosing the best gasket brand.

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~rockledge/RangerPictureGallery/40LIntakeGasketReplacement.pdf
This is a good writeup by the thread starter in the first link. Takes a minute to load, but worth it.
Any other links to good info is appreciated.

So first thing is I'll clean things up a little, starting with a putty knife, Steve! ;)
Yeah Bob, it does look like the valve cover gasket is slipping, and also like the cover lip was pried or bent up at some point. From my reading , I'll have to do the valve cover gaskets anyway when doing the intake, yes?

So here's the big question. How would you guys rate this job in difficulty/skill level required? I don't believe I could do this correctly myself, but who knows...
How many hours for an actual mechanic to do it?

Thanks.

Not a major engine repair job. But it does require the complete removal of the intakes. I would rate it at medium or advanced-beginner. Just depends on how comfortable you are with tackling this job. You know what they say "For every experience, there is a first time." Give it a try.

Bob

...The links I posted in the other thread also say what gaskets and the amount of time, they mentioned a tsb, and that the original gaskets did not have metal while the new ones do...;)

...I haven't tore down a small 4.0 yet but they had mentioned it took two guys with intermediate skills and air tools about 4 hours...They also recommended verifying the torque on the heads while you are in there...:hammer:

Well, after searching and reading here and other sites, I have a slightly better idea of it all. That corner apparently is a common spot for gasket failure. And a found a pic that shows there's a water passage right there, too. (you guys probably knew that).
Here's a couple links for future reference for anyone else with this problem:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/232373-coolant-loss-4-0l-ohv-lower-intake-gasket.html
Lots of good discussion here, especially on choosing the best gasket brand.

http://rockledge.home.comcast.net/~rockledge/RangerPictureGallery/40LIntakeGasketReplacement.pdf
This is a good writeup by the thread starter in the first link. Takes a minute to load, but worth it.
Any other links to good info is appreciated.

So first thing is I'll clean things up a little, starting with a putty knife, Steve! ;)
Yeah Bob, it does look like the valve cover gasket is slipping, and also like the cover lip was pried or bent up at some point. From my reading , I'll have to do the valve cover gaskets anyway when doing the intake, yes?

I think you actually have that backwards. In order to do the valve cover gaskets, you have to remove the upper intake. I could be wrong, but I don't think you have remove the valve covers to do the intake, although I can see how they might be in the way of getting out the lower intake. In any case, with 240,000 miles, you might as well do them anyway, even if you know they don't leak. You've already done the hard part, once you remove the upper intake.

You need Fel-Pro Intake Manifold Gasket Set Part# MS98005T, at Autozone, $107. It comes with lower intake gaskets, uppper intake plenum gaskets, and valve cover gaskets. The picture looks like it might also come with a small tube of RTV sealant.

While you are it, you might also want to change the thermostat, water pump (if it's the original, or hasn't been changed in a long time), and all your cooling system hoses (unless they have been changed recently), as preventative maintenance.

Also, since you'll have it out and accesible, it would be a good idea to take a few minutes to clean your throttle body, as well as the inside of the intake manifold(s). I'm sure plenty of carbon buildup has accumulated over 240,000miles.

Dont Touch

...They also recommended verifying the torque on the heads while you are in there...:hammer:

Oh No..... :nono:

I could be wrong, my Ford service manuals only go back to 98. But the push rod 4.0 head bolts are Torque to Yield Bolts. If disturbed they Must be replaced.

Ill post you a link about Torque to Yield bolts as soon as I find it.

Bob

4 hours for a couple people that haven't done it before sounds about right..

I'm to the point that I can pull the upper intake off in about an hour now with air tools.

One trick to help speed things up.. Don't take the torx studs that hold the fuel rail off. You don't need to when your just pulling the lower intake off. If you take the fuel rail off you will have fun getting all the injectors/o-rings lined up again.

Also, the valve covers DO have to come off to get the intake off. You can see in this pic that the valve covers overhang the lower intake.

2343573297_131b89aa25_b.jpg

Also, as stated recently above, don't touch the head bolts. They are TTY so you can't just go back and re-check if they are tight.

In the last 3 years I've helped work on 2 different motors and one of them had the heads off twice (bad rebuilt heads, twice). I got the the point I could get the heads off in < 2 hours by myself.

~Mark

So here's the big question. How would you guys rate this job in difficulty/skill level required? I don't believe I could do this correctly myself, but who knows...
If you've got a full afternoon, you could get it done. And if you decide to give it a try, feel free to give me holler if you want a hand.

How many hours for an actual mechanic to do it?
The book calls 3.6 hours labor to do upper and lower intake gaskets. And 1.9 hours for right valve cover gasket, 2.2 hours left side and 3.5 hours total for both valve covers.

...Oh Crop, I guess I didn't post the link to those threads...:rolleyes:

...and I mis-stated what I meant so I will dodge that and just say, If I was going that far and the gasket kit includes the head gaskets, I would get new head bolts, take the heads off and take a look inside...:eek:...But that's just me...:p:

...Oh Crop, I guess I didn't post the link to those threads...:rolleyes:

...and I mis-stated what I meant so I will dodge that and just say, If I was going that far and the gasket kit includes the head gaskets, I would get new head bolts, take the heads off and take a look inside...:eek:...But that's just me...:p:

Ok, thats completely different, never-mind. :cool:

Ted, I read the threads you linked, more info is always a good thing!

CarGuy, either way, I'm doing the valve covers. :thumbsup: And I have a full set of new hoses to go in. Water pump...I'm usually 'if it ain't broke', but maybe I'll replace it. And yeah, I bet there's a good amount of buildup to clean throughout.

Bob, I won't touch the head bolts. :salute:

Mark, is that your engine??? Purdy!

Bob, I have time, and could use a hand! How's next weekend? ;) Maybe Mark will roadtrip out. :D

I spent some time today cleaning the engine, starting with a putty knife, then wire brush, then some engine degreaser. There's actually metal under there! Maybe I'll take a pic tomorrow.

Thanks for all the help and opinions so far. I'm sure I'll need more.

Bob, I have time, and could use a hand! How's next weekend? ;)

Saturday is a no-go for me, gotta work. But Sunday is good.

I meant to say Sunday, yeah, that's it. ;)

...My bad on actually not posting the link I was talking about earlier...It was really good though...I will search for it this weekend...:D

...and I rushed my earlier post....We've got rain coming and I'm still at the beach...It was my turn to BBQ up on the roof and to burn the burgers...:biggthump

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Road Trip?

Bob, I have time, and could use a hand! How's next weekend? ;) Maybe Mark will roadtrip out. :D.

If your referring to me, ya sure, why not, its only half way across the country and I haven't been out to California for a while. Just send me the gas money and Ill buy the beer when I get there. :D

Back