1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

is this normal on cold startup?

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by gensic11, December 23, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

i was one of the many who was hit with the real bad snow storm.. i am noticing when the truck hasn't been warmed up for a long time (overnight or what not) it wants to die for a long time before it reaches a steady normal RPM.. now i know my truck idles normally around 700-1000 when it's warm.. but it drops in a heartbeat when its cold and almost dies.. it usually picks itself up around 400RPM to around 2000.. but then drops again.. i have to sit on the gas until it warms up decently.. now it hasn't died yet.. but it drops real hard and shakes bad like its gonna die.. i dont think this is very normal, is there anything i could do to get it not to do this?? any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. j602

j602 resident douche

City, State:
      Dothan, AL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '92 XLT
      You could try running some SeaFoam through it to smooth out the idle.

4. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      Your IAC is probably starting to crap out. Your truck should start and run fine at 0 degrees after sitting for a whole week. Something is hookey.

5. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

yea i think you're right about the IAC.. i think seafoam would help but for the long run i dont think it would do much good.. i just know cars aren't supposed to almost die just cause it's cold out.. how much are new IAC's for explorers and how hard is installation

6. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      I think my last one was 40, and takes about 5 minutes. It's right out in the open, and uses torx bolts.

7. j602

j602 resident douche

City, State:
      Dothan, AL
      '92 XLT
      40? Where did you buy it at? I was checking price awhile back on RockAuto because I thought mine was about to go out, and they were like 75 bucks!

Last edited: December 24, 2004
    8. j602

j602 resident douche

City, State:
      Dothan, AL
      '92 XLT
      EDIT: Server said my post didn't go through. Guess it did.

Last edited: December 24, 2004
    9. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

so where can i get a new IAC?

10. 2talll

2talll Member

City, State:
      Ansonia, CT
      99 Explorer Sport
      It might be the intake manifold gaskets. I have the same problem and came across some info on a recall from Ford (00m12) that should fix the problem. You can search for it on Google to get more info from people who had similiar problems. Going to call Ford on Monday and ask them why they failed to mention this recall when I asked them about this problem- they said I'd need to fork over $650 to replace the thermostat, the drive belt and the intakes.

11. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
    12. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

ok so are you saying the intake manifold gaskets is an extended warranty or would it be a recall? i have 68k+ miles on my 1997 so im guessing that would mean i'm not ok for the warranty on them... but if it's a recall i can take it in whenever so.. i did a little search for it but it sounded like you were talking about a warranty on them and not a recall..

secondly i saw a search for transmission making a whisteling noise.. or a whining noise.. mine does that when i idle - it goes away when i hit the gas and someone said there was a fix for that too, anyone know why it does that?

13. Mbrooks420

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Erie, Pennsylvania
      1998 Mountaineer AWD
      If your whistling goes away when you press the gas it is likely the IAC valve on the motor. Very easy to replace, and cost's around $50.

14. gensic11

gensic11 Guest

ya.. the thing is it sounds like its comin from the tranny - there is no whistling in the motor bay at all

15. 2talll

2talll Member

City, State:
      Ansonia, CT
      99 Explorer Sport
      My dad called the dealership where we bought my explorer and they said it is an extended warranty (6 years, 72,000 miles). They are going to look at it on Wednesday and replace what needs to be replaced. Funny how when he explained the hard start/idle problem and the check engine light comiing up running lean- they immediately though of the intake manifold gasket and filled my dad in on the warranty. My local ford on the other hand gave me a list of $650+ worht of stuff to do to try to fix it, not mentioning this at all.