It's engine time!!! 250K on the clock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

It's engine time!!! 250K on the clock

tweakedlogic

Reaction score
City, State
memphis, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
My 01 job 1 has a quarter million miles on it. While it still gets me to work every day, it makes rattle noises and marks it's territory.
What I really want is to install a 3.o diesel from an Audi A6,:burnout: but I don't have the time, money, or fab skills to make that happen. I am resigned to swap in the thirsty ***** that is the 4.0 SOHC.

I have been finding conflicting info for the motor swap. Some say the Mustang 4.0 drops in no problem, others say the only engine I can install is the Job 1 engine. At a local junk yard he says the engine is $1800. the same junk yard says the mustang 4.0 is $1100.
While I'm sure the cam profiles and possibly intake or ECU tuning is different for the smaller muscle car vs the 3 ton 4x4 truck, since the truck sees mostly highway and little towing other than a couple motorcycles in the back, I don't think I would have any problems.
I have also found an engine from a 2010 Ranger, but plastered all over says only fits Rangers... why?

So as long as it is the truth, I want you to tell me that any 4.0 SOHC will play nicely and drop into my engine bay and connect to the transmission with little more trouble than re-running sensor wires.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '01 Job 1 Sport Trac has a Job 2 engine. It was already in it when I bought it, so I don't know what, if anything, had to be changed to make it work.

:salute: Thank you, but not very helpful. -_-

Kinda in the same boat. My '05 has 150k and I want to get a jump on the engine stuff now. Had no idea the Rangers were still running the 4.0 SOHC that late, good to know. From my preliminary and limited understanding, I'd doubt the mechanical aspects have changed all that much, but rather the electrical and sensory. Thank you emissions laws. That and the Ford computer running it. Don't see why you couldn't gut the 2010 Ranger and install all of it in the Trac... perhaps minus some of its gauges expecting a signal within a certain range. Although some of the systems may have dependencies on others... I have no idea though, these are semi-educated guesses from someone halfway familiar with the circuitry involved and only learning auto mechanics now.
For the record, I'm leaning toward something more backwards in time for my first engine swap. The 302 is fairly ubiquitous. I figure if I mess it up I can go get another one from the salvage yard. Gas mileage almost certainly be more of a ***** though.

Yeah Beefman, That's what I'm homing for. find the latest engine and possibly the ECU and engine wire harness to drop in. I like that newer engines pollute less (and often get better mileage. I'm just hoping someone will share their knowledge, or at least point me in the right direction to do this. My searches are yielding more questions than answers.

Back