1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

It's official - No more Red Light Camera's in L.A.

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by Tbars4, July 31, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Tbars4

Tbars4 Moderator Emeritus Elite In Memoriam

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...Cities across America have been watching this close but today it's official..L.A. city no longer will use Red Light Cameras..

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/28/earlyshow/main20084633.shtml

..But while the rest of So Cal is unsure..

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lan...ey-will-keep-red-light-cameras-operating.html

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. Hartman

Hartman Explorer Addict

City, State:
    Indianapolis, IN
    1996 5.0
    It's all about revenues and social engineering. Turns out that they were such a bad investment that even the social planners agreed unanimously to pull the plug :D

4. joecrna

joecrna Active Member

City, State:
    Las Flores, CA
    98 XLT 4X4 sohc
    It can be a no brainer for jurisdictions looking for revenue. A private company takes all the risk, runs them and gets their cut. The city sits back, does nothing and collects a bit of cash. Not right, but they only really care about funds. Keep up the pressure on elected officials to eliminate them everywhere. By the way, no one has ever demonstrated a long term improvement in saftey.

5. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    They're pulling them in a town near us as well. They found that accidents actually went up at intersections where they were located.

Thankfully they pulled the cams from our freeways about a year ago. Now that was REALLY bad... People slammed on their brakes as they approached the cameras then punched it once they passed them. With cameras just a mile apart in some areas it created a really bad situation on our freeways.

6. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    yeah i saw people were just getting away with not paying the tickets.

7. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..I've heard various things about the safety issue...I hated the cameras as people would slam on the brakes as soon as a light turned yellow..:rolleyes:

..A couple reports from those fighting to keep the cameras showed accidents went down at those intersections but lacked other pertinent info as to cause and effect..

...Those fighting against the cameras showed the same results if they extended the yellow light time duration..

..The whole thing that got this started was the actual lease cost of the cameras...A few hot topics on paying the tickets is, this will now let the camera owners go after the individuals who got the tickets and they are going to go after them personaly and also effect their credit ratings..

...Another item is, they did get a ticket and FTA (Failure to appear) warrants and violations against their drivers license will also be administered..

...Personally, I'm against the camera's, their cost and have actually seen a better deterrent by placing a life size dummy (in officer's clothing) in an official police car seven days a week...(Boulder City Nevada)..They would then swap out on any given day an officer who would radio ahead from the same exact spot whom to have pulled over..Saved millions against what a camera would cost..

8. lynchy wa

lynchy wa Down Under Beer Explorer Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Albany, Western Australia
    2008 ford falcon XR8 ute
    That sound's like common sense mate! We can't have that.:D:thumbsup:

9. Scotty J.

Scotty J. Packin

City, State:
    Little Rock, Ar
    '02 Ford Ranger XLT
    They had one of those in Chicago, someone put a box of Krispy Kremes on the hood of the car. Now THAT was one of the funniest things I had ever seen.

Seriously though, that approach works better if the have the radar running too.

10. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..Radar was active but is only enforceable if a live dummy is operating it...:D

11. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    they have been doing that here downtown with just unoccupied police cars parked at troublesome intersections

12. sodjer6

sodjer6 Active Member

City, State:
    Lincoln, NE
    '96 Sport/'04 XLT
    They do that here as well. We have a few sections of roads that drop from 35mph zones to 25. Normally people disregard this fact, however they park a cruiser there and suddenly everyone is going the speed limit :D

We have cameras at various intersections, they look like red light cameras, but they aren't. They just monitor the traffic, and you can even stream them - exciting!:p:

13. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..I would like to add to this since one of the links I posted made it sound like the camera's only took a picture of the plates so people were contesting they weren't driving their vehicle, someone else was...:rolleyes:

..I had previously sold a vehicle and a couple months later I received a ticket in the mail..It was a red light camera ticket and had a link to a site to view the pictures...I went to the site and it not only had pictures but it had video from 3 angles...

..You could clearly see who was driving and all the videos were from green light thru the yellow and all the way thru the red and did not stop until the driver was out of wide angle camera range...

..It was kind of eerie like in a spy movie how much of this was caught on tape like this person was under surveillance..It seemed to be hi-def and you could make out the people in their cars in nearby parking lots too..:(

..Not to long ago I was working in San Juan Capistrano where they have a notorious red light camera and a bike cop too at the same intersection..I was down there one early Sunday morning and was the only one at this 3 way stop light waiting for the red light to change..

..Out of the clear blue the camera goes off while I'm waiting for the light to change..I keep looking in my mail expecting to find a ticket..:confused:

14. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ..The State of Cali assembly approved a new "Bill" today about these red light cameras..:popcorn:
    http://www.sacbee.com/2011/08/30/3873069/bill-would-restricting-use-of.html

15. joecrna

joecrna Active Member

City, State:
    Las Flores, CA
    98 XLT 4X4 sohc
    Ted, watch Glendale. They are still using theirs. Hard to tell when you are in LA or somewhere else. They too have high def video you can access on-line. $475 fine. By the way, I too had a Red light camera flash me when not running the light. Never got a ticket. I bet they actually use that video sometimes and relized I wasn't doing anything wrong.

16. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...Today they announced since yesterdays Bill approval by the assembly, other California cities will be dropping the red light cameras..

..Tonight I couldn't find what cities they are but I am sure to post when I hear more..;)

..I did however run across this bit of news on how to fight the red light camera tickets in California..:biggthump
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2011/08/31/prweb8757928.DTL

17. Stic-o

Stic-o Elite Movie Star Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Lake View Terrace, CA
    '91 Navajo '99 XL '16 XLT
    My Co-worker got one of these. She asked me how to fight it. I saw the video of her rolling right around the corner on a red light without stopping. I just laughed and said Guilty!:(

18. Tbars4

Media:
    City, State:
    anaheim hills,california
    95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
    ...Have her read toward the bottom of the last link I posted...;)

19. mattadams

mattadams Tall Man Little Escape Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Longmont, CO
    2010 Escape XLT
    Maybe I'm an old fuddy duddy, but I like the cameras. I like speed cameras too. Personally, if the speed limit is 65, and you are going 80, you deserve a ticket, whether a cop sees you doing it or not. Now maybe if you are going 68 maybe you don't deserve one, but most speed traffic cameras I've seen have a limit, just like a cop sitting there wouldn't pull you over for doing 68. If you are rolling through a red light, you are a danger to other drivers and whether a cop sees you doing it or not, you deserve a ticket for it.
    For what its worth, I got one of these tickets for running a red light. I totally remembered doing it, don't remember there being any signs about a camera (why should they need one? I was obviously breaking the law) and watched the video online there was absolutely no contesting it... I saw the yellow light and punched it, and didn't make it before it was clearly red but I went anyways. I deserved the ticket, and I paid it, and I watched my driving habits going forward.

20. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Sorry Matt, but you get a thumbs down for that one ;)

21. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Didn't have time to fully respond before.

AZ was the first and possibly the only state in the US to place photo cams on a freeway system. For some stretches they were placed every mile, other areas they were more spread out.

The cameras were set to go off at 11mph over the limit. Sounds reasonable right??? Well picture this (pun intended) you're traveling at 66 in the left lane in a 65MPH zone. The speed limit drops to 55. The ONLY speed limit sign is on the RIGHT hand shoulder. There are big trucks in the lanes to your right completely obscuring the speed limit sign. There is a camera immediately after the speed drops, BAMMO! You just got a ticket for doing 66 in a 55 when you thought you were driving 1mph over the limit. Not a fictional scenario at all, that's the way it was set up and LEFT for a couple years until our state finally did away with the freeway cams.

Additionally we have had less accidents since the cameras went down.
    People slammed on their brakes to well below the speed limit until they passed the cameras then they would floor it until they got to the next one.

The cameras did more harm than good. They were there as a money making tool, not as a safety device.

(edit) I just looked up our states accident statistics for 2008, when the cameras were in full swing, and in 2010, after the cameras went down.

2008 - 119,588 total accidents
    2010 - 106,177 " "

http://www.azdot.gov/mvd/statistics/crash/index.asp