Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

J Turns - port the option to non-piu?

Discussion in 'Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility PIU' started by bigtexan99, March 5, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bigtexan99

bigtexan99 Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2016 Explorer Sport
      I read somewhere that the PIU are programmed to detect when a J turn maneuver is being performed and to assist with the execution.

Is it possible to port that programming to a non PIU model?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. kobresia

kobresia Member

City, State:
      Black Hawk
      2013 PI Utility
      I'd think that any transmission calibration & learned strategies are stored in the module on the front of the transmission.

I don't know if that can be reprogrammed through FORSCAN, although there is a powertrain calibration code on the doorjam label. If I had to guess, folks with IDS can enter that code somewhere in the interface to push a new calibration strategy to the PCM, essentially telling it that it's a different part number.

Another thing to be aware of is that those calibration strategies seem to take all elements of the powertrain into consideration, including tire size and axle ratios.

4. Kikinz24

Kikinz24 Active Member

City, State:
      Youngstown, ohio
      2015 Explorer base
      The tune itself is different in the transmission. I have hp tuners and pulled files from my piu a stock sport . Fuel and spark is pretty much exact. But the transmission values are different . It's not so much a j turn option . It's faster kickdown in gears. The 3-2 and 3-1 kickdown is different for faster downshift and acceleration. You would need an actual pcm tuner to actually change these..