J Turns - port the option to non-piu? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

J Turns - port the option to non-piu?

bigtexan99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
I read somewhere that the PIU are programmed to detect when a J turn maneuver is being performed and to assist with the execution.

Is it possible to port that programming to a non PIU model?

I'd think that any transmission calibration & learned strategies are stored in the module on the front of the transmission.

I don't know if that can be reprogrammed through FORSCAN, although there is a powertrain calibration code on the doorjam label. If I had to guess, folks with IDS can enter that code somewhere in the interface to push a new calibration strategy to the PCM, essentially telling it that it's a different part number.

Another thing to be aware of is that those calibration strategies seem to take all elements of the powertrain into consideration, including tire size and axle ratios.

The tune itself is different in the transmission. I have hp tuners and pulled files from my piu a stock sport . Fuel and spark is pretty much exact. But the transmission values are different . It's not so much a j turn option . It's faster kickdown in gears. The 3-2 and 3-1 kickdown is different for faster downshift and acceleration. You would need an actual pcm tuner to actually change these..

Back