Jack's 1993 Explorer build thread | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack's 1993 Explorer build thread

Heres a quick rundown of my 1993 Ford Explorer Sport

4.0L OHV
A4LD auto trans
4.88s
narrowed hp 44 with spartan lunchbox
8.8 with powertrax no-slip
roughly 6" of overall lift
trans temp guage
rear tube bumper
custom front winch bumper
Rugged Ridge 10.5lb winch
38.5x14.50r15 TSL SXs on DIY TMI beadlocks
internal roll cage
corbeau reclining seats
no glass
dents
scrapes
good times

winter project: extended radius arms with ballistic joints

My 93 2dr was the first vehicle I bought and paid for myself which is one of the reasons I still have it today. The other reason.. do I need to explain? We all know why we have our trucks. I got the vehicle when I was 19 as a daily driver to school and work. This is the oldest picture I can find of the truck, and I already had started putting money into it.

130.jpg

I wasnt a big fan of the deerprints so I had a set of 5 spoke steelies from an old BII of ours powdercoated black and put on a set of 30x9.50 TA K/Os. Winter was coming and I had had other explorers with auto hubs fail on me when I needed them so off they came and on went a set of Warns. The truck looked great with the wheel/tire combo and the factory black trim, cant find a pic though.

When I got the truck it had 85K miles on the odometer, a few years and 45K miles later the engine finally gave out. The truck sat for a year or so but I couldnt get rid of it. A friend from work helped me get ahold of a 90K mile 4.0L and $600 later (including install and other parts) the truck was back on the road.

Found another good deal through a friend on some 31x10.50 BFG Long Trails mounted on American Racing 15x8 Outlaw IIs...

131.jpg

But I had a very slight rub at full lock.. so I had to lift it a little, right? RoughCountry leveling springs and Warrior shackles were on it the next week.

132.jpg

Those springs were stiff.. I took it for an alignment and they said I needed drop brackets before they could align it. Dissappointed I drove home, with horrible camber. Thats when it hit me.. If I need to buy drop brackets I might as well buy a 4" lift, and some shocks, and a pitman arm, and some AALs and get some 4dr leaf packs from the salvage yard and.. well you get the idea.

133.jpg
134.jpg

As you can see.. everything held together during the first 'test run' of the new suspension.

135.jpg

I dont drive my 93 every day.. gas is too much for the 50 mile round trip drive to work. That doesnt mean it sits at home though. Ive taken it on a few trips this summer and take it out on the weekends to have some fun.

136.jpg

I have been a member of this site for some time now and I felt it was time for me to jump up to Elite and make a contribution after all the help, advice, feedback and knowledge I have gained from the other members. It wasnt till I found this site that I thought I would be able to do this kind of work myself, and with everyones help I have. I'll keep this updated as changes are made.

20170519_120533 - Copy.jpg

- Jack

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

autozone use to carry spectre maf adapters that were slotted to fit a wide array of mafs. i got this one shipped for $10 and its drilled to match the mat housing perfectly, also, it is 3.5" where the one i had from auto zone was only 3"

thanks man. im still on the hunt for a 4.10 dana 35 for the front.. having someone set up gears is going to be too expensive for this build. the front section is looking like its going to be hard to find as none of the local yards have any. after 4.10s and rear discs it goes in for rust repair. then its done for a while.. has to be, i need to save up money for a wedding.

good work there.. im getting ready to start a lot of that stuff my self, front extended break lines and the quick disconects in front.

hopefully when i stop at the post office today my tailgate handle is there. I also ordered some hella 430 fog lights to replace the cheapos in the EE grille.

oh, and for some reason i bought this

before you guys say anything.. its getting painted maroon. to match mine.

so you did get your tailgate handle today?

...Congrats on the future plans of getting married...And I hope she understands that your X is your mistress...:D

so you did get your tailgate handle today?

why yes i did, and it works great! hopefully its not raining in the morning and i can put it on

...Congrats on the future plans of getting married...And I hope she understands that your X is your mistress...:D

thanks! shes well aware of my love for my explorer. shes grown to like my 93, she absolutely loves the 97 and drives it once in a while if her subaru is out of commission. This summer I'm going to try and get her more comfortable going off-road.. she gets nervous.

thanks for the sale... lol

Looks great. When you first did the warrior lift how were the brake lines? Did they stretch? And where did you find the mag lite clips I've been looking for that for like 2 years.

the rear hard lines and the rear brake hose were fine after the shackles, and would have been fine after the leaf springs if i had supported the rear end and not let it fall and pull apart the hose.

the mag lite mounts i got from zbattery.com, although i just went on there and cant remember where i found them on the site.

The Hella Comet 450 55w fog beam lights I purchased came in the other day. It was a close fit, let me tell you. The height was dead on with the opening in the EE grille. Hopefully the beam pattern is sufficient with them being up higher in the grille because I dont have room to adjust them down. If anything I will have to cut out another bar in the grille and move the mount up to allow for vertical adjustment. Can't wait to try them out tonight to see how they perform, forcast calls for fog, rain, all that good stuff.
114.jpg
115.jpg
116.jpg

Another thing I'm worried about is the grille guard getting in the way of the beam since the lights are recessed so far back by being in the grille. Id hate to have to take it off, i've grown to like how it looks on the truck.

I took the Hella 500 series fog beam lights off. They were getting hit with rocks and debris that other cars kicked up and my 97 was in need of some better auxillary lighting.

117.jpg

i was bored tonight.. and theres a huge new housing delepment a few miles up the road sooooo long story short as soon as it got dark, i was heading up to the development site. nothing too rough.. some washes, waterway crossings, and some pretty eroded roads from all the rain we had recently. the truck did great, but i did notice the trans temp went right up to 180 and stayed there the entire time. which leads me to my dilemna.. money wise junk yard diffs and sliders to replace my rockers is going to cost me about the same, which do i do first? 4.10s would be plenty for me i think with 32s, i dont plan on going any bigger and i dont do any 'hardcore' offroading. then again the rust is getting BAD and i alreayd have a guy lined up to tackle it.

if you have any advice let me know, i wanna hear it.

with you having the 3.27's jumping to a 4.10 would be worth it, I'd rather have rusted rockers, then %*@ked up gears. The thing is having the X paid for.......... PERIOD. Keep an eye on those rockers though, wouldn't let them get outta hand. The X looks great with the 32's:thumbsup:

Back