Jack's SAS version 3.0 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jack's SAS version 3.0

I am consolidating my build thread and the sas build into one thread so below is a link to my original build thread in case anyone has too much time on their hands and wants to see how this whole ordeal started.

notajeep_wv build thread

the next step.. SAS parts update 2/18

Its time for a SAS, time to take making Jeeps look bad to the next level lol
Lets keeps track of how much this is costing me so I can look back at it later and think of all the other things I could have done with the money.

what ended up on the truck..

74 EB D44 with track bar, steering, 2 sets of RAs - $200
F150 knuckles, spindles, hubs, rotors, calipers - $35
MileMarker premium hubs - $80
4.89 G2 gear set - $175
4.88 G2 gear set - $200
D44 install kit - $80
5.5 WH coils - $160
Duff SAS trac bar bracket - $150
Duff Coil seats - $75
D44 TruTrac - $425
7* bushing kit - $50
Moog HD ball joints - $120
axle joints - $40
Duff steering - $350
Cooper 35x12.50 STTs - $840
custom built trac bar - $80
F250 shock towers - $30

eh, its a start

axle3.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

232.jpg

Here is the cross member I made for it before I extended my radius arms and went with ballistic joints

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

233.jpg

need to set the toe tomororw and the camber is way off, gonna call a friend at an alignment shop monday to see what he can do with it. only thing suspension wise left to do is make a tie bar for the radius arm brackets then check everything for clearance and make sure all the bolts are tight then I can drive this hunk of junk

that looks awesome!

I so want to do mine now

thanks!

it looks like thee truck sits higher in the front.but its actually level until I put gear in the back but the front coils will.settle.some.

it drives great minus the body roll from the soft coils. I need to find where I put my sway bar.

Job well done! Another project I can drool over until mine.

need a little help.. camber on both wheels are out same on each side, i figured the bushings in the diff for the ball joint were wore out since they were the only things i did not replace. i jacked up the driver side last night and as i got the tire off the ground it moved to a straight vertical position. I put it back on the ground and drive it and it goes back to leaning out slightly. wheel bearings are seated and tight, dont see the ball joints moving although its kind of hard to look when youre by yourself with a pry bar under the tire. any ideas? hate to ruin a new set of tires if the camber is gonna be out and im leaving friday for a trip to virginia for a club event.

I would check spindle nuts too. maybe it isn't the ball joints bushing and the spindle nuts are loose and the bearings are moving.

Absolutsly sure you have the correct bearings in the hub. How about jack up axle and remove tire. Then try to move hub. Did you shorten the axle tubes? Or place jack stands on axle tubes then use floor jack under hubs, pump up and see what moves.

Absolutsly sure you have the correct bearings in the hub. How about jack up axle and remove tire. Then try to move hub. Did you shorten the axle tubes? Or place jack stands on axle tubes then use floor jack under hubs, pump up and see what moves.

78-79 knuckles, spindles, bearings, rotors

will have to jack up the hubs again and see whats moving.. thats how i found out the spindles i had were garbage, bearings werent seated fully against the spindle.

one thing i did notice is there seems to be quite a bit of gap on the back of the rotor between the inner bearing and the seal? this is my first time messing with full size brakes/hubs. is that normal?

Thanks for all the pointers guys!

I thought I read on jeepinwv that you got new lug nuts. Are the lugnuts closed, they may be too short allowing your wheel not tighten up. Maybe I'm just under thinking it.

If you need pics of mine which is a 79 I could post some pics of the area behind the rotor and or post pics of yours.

1/2 ton 3/4 ton do take different spindles with one of the bearings a different diameter. Did you change spindles?

1/2 ton spindles and 1/2 ton brakes. the bearings are 2 different sizes, national A-35 adn A-37. ill pull it apart tonight and snag a pic, i wanted to repack the wheel bearings anyway. Thanks!

the lug nuts fully tighten the wheel, no issue there.

took the wheels off, placed the front axle on stands, jacked up on the hub and on the bottom of the knuckle, didnt see any movement, then again i was by myself. took the bearings out and repacked while i drained the front diff. couldnt see anything out of the ordinary. torqued the ball joints 'correctly' this time, put everything back together, still got it. i did not have the tool for the ball joint bushings to replace those. thats my next step.. but it will have to wait till after this weekend.

been noticing a noise from the right rear of the truck when going around turns or when weight shifts off of the rh side. only thing i can see is the frame side leaf spring bushing needs replaced. gonna put the truck on a lift tonight and go over a few things while i drain the tcase and rear diff.

Back