Jakee's 4.0 SOHC Build up discussion and motivation thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Jakee's 4.0 SOHC Build up discussion and motivation thread

After Camber adjusters, Body bushings, rear sway bar, and brakes are complete, I'll be posting baseline dyno numbers. First things first. Must be safe!

EDIT (11-6-2007)

Let me save you some time by posting the summary to this thread. The thread is filled with a bunch of off topic ramblings. Read on if you want but be warned.

Summary to this thread....

I'm going to attempt to close this thread because the N/A goal is coming to an end. I really lost interest in the N/A goal a few months back, and It just doesn't make sense (from a $/HP perspective) to buy anymore bolt-ons when the force feed options are available for us 4.0 SOHC guys. I would rather save the money to buy a turbo than to keep spending big bucks for little gains. And so, this is what I did, and these are my opinions on how the mod worked out.

The first thing was the intake. I can remember going around in circles trying to figure out which one to buy. The Volant? no, the K&N....wait a minute, the MAC is cheaper? Anyways, I finally decided on the MAC intake because of the cost. All and all, an intake is an intake. You're not going to see a big huge difference between any of them, but I still feel the best out there is the Volant. I believe in a "Closed" intake. In other words; I don't like the idea of sucking hot engine air thru an open filter under the hood. That's just me and the difference between a "Closed" intake and an "Open" is very small. I did, however, see a gain from customizing the MAC intake by closing in the air filter with a trash can....Yes, you heard me right, a freaking trash can that I cut to fit in the engine bay. It worked good and people usually don't notice what it is. They just think it looks cool. Anyways, I also replaced the MAC filter with a Volant filter; cut a 3-1/2" hole thru the fender and placed a Volant filter thru it. No water can get to it, well....not from this area....I then added spectra hoses from the front of the vehicle where the fog lights were for a "Ram air" attempt. I had a couple of aluminum parts machined for a clean install. That was it for the intake.

Next, I believe I ordered the 73MM C&L from hensonperfromance. This housing uses the same electronics but is just a bit bigger than the stock plastic MAF housing. The gain was small, but was worth it. I believe I've found dyno's of a 7 RWHP gain? Not sure, but there is a gain there.

The TB was the next thing. I purchased a 4.6 TB from KBX performance because I heard a guy named James had discovered it to work with the 4.0 SOHC. I later fooled around and half shafted it. Basically, what that does is removes half the rod that the butterfly is attached too. Do a search on "half shafting a TB" or something like that to get more details. I believe this mod really doesn't give big HP; more throttle response than anything but it's worth it.

When I had the TB off, I noticed this big tube right in the way of the airflow. The tube is the EGR valve and the reason it's sticking in there is to evenly vent exhaust gases back in the intake. Do not remove the EGR valve; it actually helps you. What I did was remove the part that's in the way of the air-flow. I have no idea if this helped me, but It felt like it did. The only ill effect I can think of is maybe one side of the engine is getting more EGR flow; however, I haven't seen traces of this on the spark plugs so I believe it's good.

Now for the exhaust....yeah, it's hard to get a 4.0 SOHC to sound good. In fact, I think mine still sounds pretty bad. I started off with the Gibson Cat back and if your looking for a "Slightly louder than stock" exhaust, then this is the one for you. The gain was good and I liked the sound but I wasn't satisfied. I felt there might be just a little more power I could unleash so I tried a higher flow muffler; a magna-flow. I started off by having a custom Y-pipe made. It has 2-1/4" primaries that y's into a 3" single exhaust. The pipes run back a little ways and goes into a 3" magnaflow cat, then into a 2-1/2" magnaflow muffler, and dumps right before the rear axle. The flow is there but the sound.....I hate it.

I also added JBA stainless headers. I have to say that headers are very expensive for the 4.0 SOHC but there is gain, trust me. If your looking for EVERYTHING you can from the engine, add headers to it later on down the road.

Next is under-drive pulleys....This is one of the better mods in my opinion. The under-drive crank pulley works by slowing down the serpentine belt, which in return, slows down all the accessories running off the belt. The result is more power to your back tires. The only problem I had was it slows the alternator down too much. The fix is an overdrive alt pulley and I added one to speed the alt back up. Problem solved. I'm also running a underdrive water pump pulley with no problems what so ever.

Another good mod is a electric fan. I went with the flex-a-lite 180 and haven't had a problem yet. Very good quality pc.

The best mod, in my opinion, is a tuner. I went with a SCT XCAL II that I picked up from hensonperformance. I think this changed my truck the most and I'm very pleased.

I believe this about sums it up. Every pc of info I just typed here is on the net, and most is right here in this forum, but I wanted to compile some of it for reference purposes....

I made a goal at the begining of this thread, but I'm really not interested anymore. It doesn't make a hill of beans to have high dyno numbers, but it is nice. The only dyno I had sucked; I made 189 to the rear wheels. I'm thinking I'm a bit higher than that but I'm not worried about it.

Next project......TURBO!! and I'll probably do a baseline for this. If so, I'll add the baseline dyno here so there will be N/A results.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is this a rebuild of the 4.0 SOHC engine itself?

IZwack said:
Is this a rebuild of the 4.0 SOHC engine itself?

No sir.

I'm gonna take a little different route, from the norm around here, as far as bolt ons are concerned. My small goal(s) are to have the highest dyno numbers, lowest 1/4 times, and cheapest $/HP N/A for the 4.0 SOHC while maintaining drivability period. That's it. Nothing real impressive here.

Please provide a list/outline of what you are planning to do.

Thanks ...

Interesting. keep us posted

aldive said:
Please provide a list/outline of what you are planning to do.

Thanks ...
Al
he will do all i have told him to do, he needs to be the HP king of SOHC V6s(N/A) A crown i hold by the way :D
Are two more bolton mods that can get jakee 232 RWHP, but he will never find them :)

spindlecone said:
Al
he will do all i have told him to do, he needs to be the HP king of SOHC V6s(N/A) A crown i hold by the way :D
Are two more bolton mods that can get jakee 232 RWHP, but he will never find them :)

I'm not doing all that you have done. You wasted your money on a couple of mods and you had problems with a couple more. I know it and you know it.

And i'll betcha your bottom dollar that I know every mod that can be done just bolten on. I told you that much research was needed and I did the research.

Al - You'll see them all as I post Dyno sheets. No, it's nothing you probably haven't already seen and no I don't have too many secrets. I've learned from others mistakes. And I don't think they even realized what mistakes they made.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I don't think I am.

Jakee said:
I'm not doing all that you have done. You wasted your money on a couple of mods and you had problems with a couple more. I know it and you know it.

And i'll betcha your bottom dollar that I know every mod that can be done just bolten on. I told you that much research was needed and I did the research.

Al - You'll see them all as I post Dyno sheets. No, it's nothing you probably haven't already seen and no I don't have too many secrets. I've learned from others mistakes. And I don't think they even realized what mistakes they made.

If I'm wrong then I'm wrong but I don't think I am.
I wasted my money, and had some problems with some mod?
NOT, put your money where your mouth is jakee.
will paypal you 500 bux dude, you don't reach my numbers in two mos, the cash is yours, just do it.
Your all show and no go, you will never get there, trust me.
you been talkin trash, and you have yet to do anything.
when you actually do something (anything) post the results.No more BS talk.

its getting warm up in this piece - lets all chillax for a sec

i can think of an easy bolt on mod that will get 300 hp out of it

this should be interesting anyways

spindle- what kind of hp numbers are the new v6 mustangs putting down with just bolt-on stuff?

I smell popcorn. I think I'll pull up a seat. :D

spindlecone said:
I wasted my money, and had some problems with some mod?
NOT, put your money where your mouth is jakee.
will paypal you 500 bux dude, you don't reach my numbers in two mos, the cash is yours, just do it.
Your all show and no go, you will never get there, trust me.
you been talkin trash, and you have yet to do anything.
when you actually do something (anything) post the results.No more BS talk.

Spindle - If I'll never catch your numbers, you have nothing to be worried about.

Yes - You wasted your money bro on two mods.

No - I don't want your money and no I don't accept that challenge. I won't be able to do it in two months. However, it is my goal, and I WILL reach it.

I just ordered an intake. Do I need to post the receipt to prove it?

spindle can paypal me 500 bux if he wants too. Besides, easy on the "I am better at knowing about all these secret mods that no one else here knows about" talk- who cares really, no one has come close to anything super impressive for RWHP for a SOHC 4.0 on this entire site. Really what it all comes down to is cash- the more you have, the more you can afford to spend on custom, one off "bolt on" mods.

I am however interested in seeing some dyno results jakee, any improvement is better than none.

Spindle - Much respect to you. I'm not trying to piss you off.

Guys, I apoligize if I came off as a "****" talker. I will be proving what I say. Win or loose.

Hoping for next Sat for the baseline. That will tell me real quick if this is going to happen.

Jakee said:
Spindle - Much respect to you. I'm not trying to piss you off.

Guys, I apoligize if I came off as a "****" talker. I will be proving what I say. Win or loose.

Hoping for next Sat for the baseline. That will tell me real quick if this is going to happen.
Not Pissed in the least,Just have fun with the task at hand.
Now, what two mods did I waste my money on?

spindlecone said:

I don't care what you wasted your money on, what did you spend your money on that worked :D

-Rich

churd69 said:
I don't care what you wasted your money on, what did you spend your money on that worked :D

-Rich
Probably the best "mod" that he spent his money on was that new 06 Roush Stage 3. :D

churd69 said:

-Rich
A killer SCT tune, intake, Exhaust,Y-Pipe-UD pully,E-fan,Pro-M,ported TB= 210 RWHP, 235 RWTQ, simple **** is all :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

spindlecone said:

My opinions only!!!

The TB and the MAF Housing. Both could of been done without paying and it's not hard. Some say it's a "hack" job but it does the same thing. There's no reason what so ever to have a TB put on a Mill.

The only bolt-ons I can think of that could gain you 20HP (N/A) and you haven't done is an Electric water pump of some sort (Not even sure if this can be done) and headers. I disagree that headers won't do anything. I know the SOHC needs back pressure but that should be the exhaust. Yes, the manifolds are not bad but could be better even with a unmodded internal. THey do have heads and cams too but I don't know anyone that's going to go thru the trouble of changing them or taking the chance without doing the whole engine. And when you get there it may be better to swap or buy a mustang. By the way, that stang you have looks very good. That's where you should spend the 500$.

Like I said, these are my opinions only. I'm not trying to talk crap and I'm not trying to pretend I know everything. I'm putting my money where my mouth is.

Back