1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Jarring Ride Over Bumps

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by goober71, December 13, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. goober71

goober71 New Member

City, State:
      SPRINGFIELD, MA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1998 XLT V8 AWD
      Hi,
      I bought a 1998 Explorer XLT AWD a couple of months back. The ride was jarring over bumps, so i took it to the dealer and they replaced the front shocks. The ride was still jarring and i brought it back to the dealer, but they said it was just the tires.
      I'm wondering if there is something more to it and they did not want to do anything about it, because the truck was still under warranty (2 month dealer warranty)? I saw a couple of articles on here about ball joints and i wonder if those are the problem?
      Any ideas/suggestions?
      Thanks.

Ro

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jayhawkexplorer

jayhawkexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mission, Kansas
      '97 XLT
      You can check your ball joints by jacking up the front end and trying to move the tire back and forth. Pick up a Haynes manual for your truck and they'll explain it well in there, well worth the $17. But I would guess that you're just not used to the ride of the Explorer yet. They may be a lot of good things, but having a comfortable ride is not a trait of our trucks.

4. unclemeat

unclemeat Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Richmond, VA
      91 sport
      Check your tire pressure. If the pressure is high the spring rate is also high. Try running the tires at the minimum recommend pressure. You may also need a new tire pressure gage.