• Register Today It's free!

Jerking while driving

ICUFFEM

Reaction score
City, State
Crest Hill, Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer XLT 4.0
Hey yall. I have a 2008 ex with the truxxx 2.5 in lift amd running 255 75 17. I hit a guard rail last week and tore my ex up. Ive had to replace both control arms on the passenger side as well as the axle and rack and pinion. I finished it up today and on my first test drive i keep hearing a loud whining noise ki da sounds lime a power steering pump with no fluid and it continuously jerks while driving. Ill also add that the spare is on the left rear with the oringinal 245 65 17. Upon inspecting the right front i noticed the out put shaft side of the cv axle was very hot... its a brand new part. No reman. Could it be the bearing? The spare? Im at a total loss right now. No lights on the dash either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How hot was your wheel?

Not extremely hot but it was noticably hot to the touch.

Regarding the "jerking". Is the steering wheel shaking? If so, did you turn the wheels with the engine OFF while replacing the control arms or doing the other work? Pretty common to aerate the power steering fluid without the engine running. Easy fix is starting the engine and driving slowly while turning the steering wheel lock-to-lock repeatedly until the shaking subsides. No clue on the hot CV half shaft.

The power steering is fine now. Its not the steering thats jerking. Its the whole vehicle. Lime maybe that smaller wheel and tire are throwing off abs or shifting? It bucks like a damn bronco going town the road.

It really sounds like something is binding. Get the front end off the ground and spin the wheels.

On a side note - when I saw the thread title this time I got a little chuckle.
Reminds me of the time, on another forum, where a poster asked the following question:

"Is it OK if I ******** my pumpkin?"

If it's 4wd you need to get 4 tires on there that are the same size. Your mismatched tires would be keeping 4wd engaged and causing the bucking...

my tires are 235/65/17 and my spare is still 245/65/17 and while on the e-way doing 70+ mph it does not jerk but on any turn it makes a binding pop and its worse the slower I go down to less than 20mph where you start thinking this thing aint making it home.... I dont know of your size difference is way more than mine.... when I had my 98 if i turned the wheels with front jacked and engine off air would get mixed in and later doing 60+ it would death wobble..... only thing i can throw in is do you have the band sensors for the tpms.... I had 3 of the bands break and all was good till after 65mph then all hell would break loose..... I took a wheel off and it sounded like someone threw all of their spare change in there...... but on another note jerking while driving can be somewhat acceptable if you have a 10 inch lift on 50" tires and nobody can look down on you while you drive

Back