Josh P's new 1994 Aerostar. | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Josh P's new 1994 Aerostar.

come on josh.i need a 351 in my van...:D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

come on josh.i need a 351 in my van...:D
Move the gas pedal about 3 inches to the left, same with the brake pedal and widen the tunnel. It would slide right in.

a 302 should be enough.or a 347 302 stroker....

How is this project coming along?
Not much to update on this project yet. I'm working on rebuilding the axle I pulled out of my other van. I'll do the same to the rear of this van and get some new springs. What makes it difficult is I can't pull the front subframe out with it sitting in my driveway for the long term work I need to do on it. City code enforcement would give me a citation. I may search for a 2wd subframe to set under the van so it looks complete while I work on it.

Not much to update on this project yet. I'm working on rebuilding the axle I pulled out of my other van. I'll do the same to the rear of this van and get some new springs. What makes it difficult is I can't pull the front subframe out with it sitting in my driveway for the long term work I need to do on it. City code enforcement would give me a citation. I may search for a 2wd subframe to set under the van so it looks complete while I work on it.

Sometimes it's such a PITA to be a car guy. I went through the same stuff at my last house. I understand the thoughts behind it, but it can be frustrating. I'm definitely gonna keep checking back on this project.

Sometimes it's such a PITA to be a car guy. I went through the same stuff at my last house. I understand the thoughts behind it, but it can be frustrating. I'm definitely gonna keep checking back on this project.
I get it too, no one wants to look at a car in pieces for months or longer. Since work has been slow for the last few weeks I have extended my driveway down the side of my house to the backyard. I still need a fence or gate on the side of the house so the vehicle can't be seen from the street once I roll it to the back. I've still got a couple projects ahead of this one, building a shed and replacing the roof on my house.

I got the parts off the silver van. The springs, brakes, etc were for this van, I had used them on the other van. I'm slowly rebuilding the 8.8 axle I am going to use. Once I get the axle complete and painted, I will post pictures. The only thing I'm missing is an engine.

north carolina no longer requires inspections on cars older than 30 years so swapping in a bigger engine sounds very appealing.

north carolina no longer requires inspections on cars older than 30 years so swapping in a bigger engine sounds very appealing.
I agree, I'm still gathering parts for this build. What engine would you swap into your van?

I agree, I'm still gathering parts for this build. What engine would you swap into your van?
gm lsi seem to be the preferred engine for swaps although oil pan clearance othen makes the decision for you.and width.

gm lsi seem to be the preferred engine for swaps although oil pan clearance othen makes the decision for you.and width.
LS swaps are popular. A 302 would be easier.

i glanced under the hood while doing my daily refilling the radiator.the 3.0 barely fits under there.i don't see how a v8 would fit without moving the firewall several inches.

i glanced under the hood while doing my daily refilling the radiator.the 3.0 barely fits under there.i don't see how a v8 would fit without moving the firewall several inches.
im wondering how much wider a 4.0 sohc is than a 4.0 it might fit.55 more hp and might bolt in to the mounts and trans.wiring would be a problem.

im wondering how much wider a 4.0 sohc is than a 4.0 it might fit.55 more hp and might bolt in to the mounts and trans.wiring would be a problem.
The 4.0 sohc is wider than a 5.0, more bolt ons, transmission choices and reliability with the V8.

The 4.0 sohc is wider than a 5.0, more bolt ons, transmission choices and reliability with the V8.
i really like my aerostars and im hoping you will post a viable power source to keep them on the road.with lots of details.

my extended four liter van is now a five cylinder because of a broken lifter.im surprised of how much torque it still has.if it wasn't SUCH a ***** to work on id swap in a hotter cam and later closed chamber heads with dual exhaust with dual high flow cats.[my van is now inspection exempt].

my extended four liter van is now a five cylinder because of a broken lifter.im surprised of how much torque it still has.if it wasn't SUCH a ***** to work on id swap in a hotter cam and later closed chamber heads with dual exhaust with dual high flow cats.[my van is now inspection exempt].
Headers don't fit very well, I had to use a hammer to get enough clearance. I did like how it ran above 4k rpm. It was fun rowing through the gears bouncing off the rev limiter. If you were to swap engines, what would you choose?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back