Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex) | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Josh's 4 door 1st gen explorer crawler (SGT Ex)

Read about this on P4x4 earlier. My Explorer didn't look that bad when I rolled it. If you keep the same body, its time for a cage. Once the pillars are compromised, they won't hold up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Read about this on P4x4 earlier. My Explorer didn't look that bad when I rolled it. If you keep the same body, its time for a cage. Once the pillars are compromised, they won't hold up.

I just realized what your SN is over there. lol

There is a sweet blue 91 in Descanso that is just begging to become the next Ex. If it is still there next weekend, I'm going to pick it up to start prepping it to be the donor

Also, here is a better video of start to stuck for those not on Pirate

I guess you didn't hear me telling you go to straight while I was watching the video. PM me if you need an extra set of hands. La Mesa is about 20 minutes from my house.

I guess you didn't hear me telling you go to straight while I was watching the video. PM me if you need an extra set of hands. La Mesa is about 20 minutes from my house.

Will do. Thanks for the help sir.

Sarge made it into the Top 5 vehicles of Tierra del Sol 2017 by Offroad Xtreme. Congrats to Dan (reclinaholic) for building a bad ass explorer that I have taken all over to beat the **** out of.

Here is the link: http://www.offroadxtreme.com/features/car-features/top-5-vehicles-from-2017-tierra-del-sol/

here are some pics:
2017-03-14_20-29-34_zpsh2uoa2xd.jpg

2017-03-14_20-29-28_zpszgehh3uy.jpg

2017-03-14_20-29-40_zpsx9ofyjfn.jpg

2017-03-14_20-29-42_zpsk9t7qxte.jpg

2017-03-14_20-29-07_zpsyorvsujx.jpg

2017-03-14_20-30-03_zpsy3g3on49.jpg

a little late, but an update to the truck's status and how Truckhaven round 2 went...

We arrived around 11 and while we were waiting on another one of the jaheeps to arrive, we went and played around in the proving grounds.

0921DA37-DD32-4016-8172-01117C768D25_zpsobur70kr.jpg

C15E663A-0989-4FE9-AAC6-27F4438B063A_zpsfhvn2zgm.jpg

8DB7312A-E08F-4C31-A1BD-4926BD0BCE66_zpsdopvuew4.jpg

E0F96CCA-222C-453C-AB8E-C0D6D1A58DA8_zpslnplehmp.jpg

After about 20 mins of playing around, the hub popped again. I had 1 extra spare, and the whole reason we went to truckhaven was to run shoots & ladders again, and I just popped another lockout.

We pulled around to the shade and took a look at the hub and when I pulled out the lockout, I noticed what I missed the last time... The hub itself had expanded to a point where the lockout was loose and was spinning inside the hub, and breaking the cap.

I knew I had 1 more hub, and we were going to be running the notches and **** that all can be ran in 3 wheel drive, so I decided this was my last chance to run S&L, knowing I would likely pop the other lockout, but should make it through the trail before that happened.

replaced the lockout, cleaned out the hub a little, and went back in

516A0419-F8B8-4B2D-9A5C-E92A796070ED_zpsu35d5kvq.jpg

the first corner is very tight, so it took some wigglin' to get the big girl in there

2A85F552-BC3A-4726-BF86-B8F99A865CA8_zpsgyqtjn83.jpg

5DF99A77-0A02-4E20-B3A4-D3CD9D44CDE3_zpstab4ohf3.jpg

D16F00F8-C743-4F04-9410-467670B3DA70_zpsmr8rhhgc.jpg

8C1E7E1E-1357-44BD-9B19-DC889C887CC0_zpsuuvxzdnn.jpg

Truck was doing great, then all the sudden my buddy on the right yells "Your leaking from the front. Holy **** you're pouring water!"

So I immediately put it in reverse to try and get out before I lost all the coolant so I could get back to camp, but in backing up, i pinned it, and then the lock out popped. Shut her down, pulled cable and pulled myself out.

F3B2FCD6-35FD-4C35-80CA-46CEAB8E656D_zpswp01k6up.jpg

Then i had to be towed back to camp by a jeep :(
1471943359507117_1169265512233764994_o_zpskpluktl8.jpg

and of course, he gave me so much **** for it.

So, end of the story is, Sarge blew a radiator, 2 hubs, still didn't finish the obstacle, and is now sitting at the house with no driver door, a blown radiator, and a broken hub. and will likely sit there for a little while as we finish our remodel on the house.

Surprised the Jeep didn't blow an axle towing you. Don't feel too bad, I have towed lots of Jeeps over the years.

Surprised the Jeep didn't blow an axle towing you. Don't feel too bad, I have towed lots of Jeeps over the years.

He actually ended up towing a silver JK that blew out the throwout bearing later in the day. So he was giving him **** too for having a JK. lol

Actually Ron's LJ (the jeep that towed me) is setup really well and works REALLY well. rubicon 44s, 35s, super flexy long arm kit, air lockers, and that's about it. Just works really well. But he also has like 40k in it since he bought it brand new

Well hopefully someday you will be able to get thru S&L with out a miss hap.

This is one of my favorite explorer's on the board. Hope it works out man.

Thanks sir. The sploder will be just fine. Really starting to get the itch to get it back together though. My house is taking up every free second of my life though. As soon as that thing is done, I can start playing with this one again. For now, she is just sitting there next to the house, keeping the property taxes low

Hey gents, I have a question for all of you....

Do the 2nd gen trucks have the same roof and door as the 1st gens? Looking at the 95-97 ones, it looks like they do, just wanted to ask y'all.

I appreciate any input you have. House is very close to being finished, so Ex will be back front and center getting some much needed repairs completed throughout the month of July.

Hey gents, I have a question for all of you....

Do the 2nd gen trucks have the same roof and door as the 1st gens? Looking at the 95-97 ones, it looks like they do, just wanted to ask y'all.

I appreciate any input you have. House is very close to being finished, so Ex will be back front and center getting some much needed repairs completed throughout the month of July.
I want to say that 95-01 does interchange, but the electric stuff is different and a hassle to mess with. Minor differences with body trim.

I want to say that 95-01 does interchange, but the electric stuff is different and a hassle to mess with. Minor differences with body trim.

oh yeaaaaaa, they changed the plug design in the later trucks right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back