Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Pinole, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 F250/XLT Superduty
Callsign
KG6MAX
My Wife is traveling most of July, and some of August with out. I do have couple of days vacation that I can use to go up in the Sierra's.

Interested in any ideas of where to go, nothing too hard. I need to make sure I do not break the JKUR so it's good for my daily drive.

I know of Ebbet's pass & Hermit Valley campground and the alpine lakes in that area, along with set of trails in that area, I really want to do Deer Valley trail. (which the campground is one end of)

Let's hear the suggestions.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will my new to me H2 fit the trails without damage??

Down by Fresno you could do Bald Mountain loop. Brewer lake is perfect for stock rigs the last 100 yards or so to the lake can be a bit much but it is a short walk. You could also go to West lake and Strawberry lake. We have taken Stock JKs to Red lake but it does take some rock stacking and careful driving to avoid damage in a few spots. Ham radios will hit repeaters on all the trails I listed so I wouldn't be to worried about running any of them solo.

Subscribing

Which part of the Sierras?

Just outside of Sacramento off Highway 50 is the Prairie Creek SVRA. It's a great place to try things out b4 getting too far off grid.

Prairie City SVRA

In the Sierras there are plenty of logging roads that qualify as off road without being too strenuous. Try Emmigrant Gap, take Texas Hill as far as you can and look at the roads there.
Or go further up 80. Go to Lodgepole Campground by Lake Valley and take 19 up to the top of Black Mountain...

I'm watching this thread with the hope that I will be able to travel by the time this comes up.

I'm hoping I can make it if something gets planned. But my current transmission condition may prevent me from going.

Back