Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Jumpin' Volt Gauge

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by shauste, October 9, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. shauste

shauste New Member

City, State:
      Deatsville AL
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 Ranger XLT
      I have a 91 Eddie Bauer with 128K miles. My problem is a jumping volt gauge. The needle jumps back and forth intermittently. I have replaced both the positive and negative battery cables and terminals with no results. I thought for sure this would fix the problem. My battery is strong and the alternator is charging. Once the needle settles down, it reads normal. Any clues?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Howard

Howard Moderator Elite Explorer Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
      Milton Keynes
      1998 SOHC UK SPEC
      That sounds very like a bad connection inside the diode pack of the alternator. (sorts itself out when warmed up) Does the needle jump with just the ignition turned on (not started). Just for a test you could try pulling the fuse for the alternator #M14 (Light green 30 amp). If there is no diference then something like a relay is probably arcing and rapidly switching which you should be able to hear if you pop the hood and listen near the fuse box. All the best.

4. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      Take out a real voltmeter and see if its due to the POS Ford "meter" or if you have a real proble,.

Good luck.....

5. shauste

shauste New Member

City, State:
      Deatsville AL
      93 Ranger XLT
      Howard/Al,

Thanks for the replies. I will check out both of your suggestions and get back with you with what I discover. Thanks

Shauste