• Register Today It's free!

Just Bought a 99 Explorer XLS

AbbyExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLS
I just bought a 99 Explorer XLS (187,000 KM or 116,000 Miles), I want this explorer to last me a very long time. Everything seems to be working well. Anything I can do right now? change the spark plugs? Just got it rust proofed before snow comes.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just bought a 99 Explorer XLS (187,000 KM or 116,000 Miles), I want this explorer to last me a very long time. Everything seems to be working well. Anything I can do right now? change the spark plugs? Just got it rust proofed before snow comes.
Change all the fluids except the transmission oil

CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT......first thing to do on all new vehicle purchases.... cheap and EASY.... (easy on your 4.0 ohv engine) ....as we know....a failed $3 thermostat can quickly DESTROY a $3,000 engine - overheating. And if your coolant looks iffy flush it out.
Good purchase...your 4.0 ohv engine will easily make it to 300,000 miles (as long as you don't overheat it.)
On the trans fluid, I'm sure he was meaning that some seals that are in subpar shape after long use/ semi-high mileage - will be fine with existing build up around them.....but once you put in FRESH trans fluid with it's fresh / strong detergents they 'wash' away build-up around seals and whamo.....all of the sudden your trans is slipping......HAPPENS way more than you would think.
At 116K you could be safe doing it.... 140 and up I wouldn't risk it.
Our trans usually make it to 150-160k on average and then it's rebuild time..

CHANGE THE THERMOSTAT......first thing to do on all new vehicle purchases.... cheap and EASY.... (easy on your 4.0 ohv engine) ....as we know....a failed $3 thermostat can quickly DESTROY a $3,000 engine - overheating. And if your coolant looks iffy flush it out.
Good purchase...your 4.0 ohv engine will easily make it to 300,000 miles (as long as you don't overheat it.)
On the trans fluid, I'm sure he was meaning that some seals that are in subpar shape after long use/ semi-high mileage - will be fine with existing build up around them.....but once you put in FRESH trans fluid with it's fresh / strong detergents they 'wash' away build-up around seals and whamo.....all of the sudden your trans is slipping......HAPPENS way more than you would think.
At 116K you could be safe doing it.... 140 and up I wouldn't risk it.
Our trans usually make it to 150-160k on average and then it's rebuild time..
Thank you! Glad I joined and made this post. Going to be doing all this shortly. I really hope my 4.0 ohv makes it to 300,000 miles, love my explorer. They don't make anything close to this anymore. I will do whatever it takes to make this explorer last.

Previous owner who sold it to me told me New parts over the last year:
-New radiator and rad hoses
-Transmission filter and fluid change along with cooling lines to rad
-Four new tires
- Complete cat. back exhaust system
- New Brake pads and rotors on both front and rear along with new master cylinder.

Looks like im fine for transmission fluid change:)
I will be changing the thermostat very soon, hopefully within 7 days.

Previous owner who sold it to me told me New parts over the last year:
-New radiator and rad hoses
-Transmission filter and fluid change along with cooling lines to rad
-Four new tires
- Complete cat. back exhaust system
- New Brake pads and rotors on both front and rear along with new master cylinder.

Looks like im fine for transmission fluid change:)
I will be changing the thermostat very soon, hopefully within 7 days.

COOL! Great news on radiator especially

Usually someone who goes to the trouble of changing out a radiator and hoses will consider a t-stat change part of the process. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure.

Usually someone who goes to the trouble of changing out a radiator and hoses will consider a t-stat change part of the process. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell for sure.
Before you start dumping money into the truck , remove the thermostat completely run the truck without a thermostat and see how that works out

Check brake lines for excessive rust. Change differential fluid.

I would say you are safe doing a pan drop/filter change on the trans. Mine got its first at 100K. I've flushed it since. You can also install a trans pan with a plug and drop fluid once a year or so. There is a old wives tale that changing fluid on a trans can destroy it, but if it does you are on borrowed time anyway. If the fluid looks reasonably pink, go ahead.

Flushing a dirty transmission with new ATF supposedly can cause problems, but if your transmission is dirty, the fluid is expired and needs to be changed. Your transmission won't last long if you run dirty fluid in it.

As others have said, drop the pan and replace the 4-5 quarts of lost fluid, and install a new transmission filter.

Every month you can either 1) drop the pan again and replace another 4-5 quarts, or 2) get a suction pump and pull some fluid out of the dipstick hole. ATF is light enough that you can do this easily with a hand siphon or gear oil hand pump. Or, get a replacement pan up front with a drain plug.

This way, you'll slowly introduce fresh fluid into the transmission without worrying about dislodging a bunch of debris all at once.

There is a old wives tale that changing fluid on a trans can destroy it,

Had it happen to me. (different vehicle)...had it happen to a buddy of mine, buddy heard it happen to other people.... mine did it immediately after change...ran perfect just before. Yes if it's done on time then seals will be kept in proper condition....but if previous owner neglected or never changed then....
As Maso suggested it would be good to slowly introduce new fluid in this particular scenario via hand siphon extraction.

It's not an "old wive's tail" re changing the trans fluid on a high- mileage older vehicle. If your fluid looks brown or black and smells burnt changing it (or worse yet flushing it) can lead to transmission failure shortly thereafter. The reason for this is that the bands and friction plates are already worn and the only thing that may be allowing the transmission to not slip is the suspended friction material in the fluid. If this is the case replacing the fluid can then cause failure. Is your transmission living on borrowed time? Probably, but it can live on for quite a while with dirty fluid. It may start to slip within a week or two on clean fluid. Automatic transmissions eventually wear out. It's just a fact. Heat, more than any other factor, wears them out faster.

If your trans fluid still looks pink/pink'ish doing a pan drop and filter replacement with fresh ATF will probably be okay.

Back