Just bought a '99 Mountaineer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just bought a '99 Mountaineer

GSmithFL

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey everyone,

Just bought a '99 Mountaineer tonight. Lotta things I like about it, but plenty to fix and learn about.

GSmith

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

V6 or V8?

By now these usually needs some fixes, or are showing their quirks.

It is the V6. I wanted a V8, but the unexpectedly quick sale of my old Saturn dictated a quick purchase.

Most of the Mountaineer's issues are cosmetic... or so I thought until after I signed the papers.

During the test drive I never got the truck over 50mph as the seller lives in the middle of this huge suburban enclave on the west coast of Florida. The nearest actual free flowing highway was over 20mins away.

Anyway, on the way home after the sale I got the flashing "O/D OFF" light. The transmission was still running buttery smooth, no smells, no noises, and I checked the fluid again. It still looked fine: good color, not dirty, no metal bits, no bad smells, etc. But I did notice that it was a little bit over the max "dot" on the dipstick and into the crosshatches. Could it just be overfilled?

I don't think the overdrive is kicking in: 60mph translated to 2800rpm on the way home. I think that should be lower?

I will look through the forums and see what I can find.

Thanks!

Yeah, that seems high for 60. The flashing OD means there is a stored transmission code. The level may seem high due to the fluid being overheated. The V6 transmissions aren’t the stoutest.

It doesn’t make any abnormal noises (rattles) on a cold start up does it?

Nope, no rattles that I have heard. It runs phenomenonally.

Could the light just be the TCC issue (did some reading last night). The light doesn't appear until the truck is warmed up and we get to highway speeds.

Hm... do I just went out and started the truck as I know it has been sitting for 13 hours.

Yep, there is a rattle. What does that mean?

Welcome to this forum! Find out what the code number is for the transmission issue, and don't continue driving it. The transmission feels fine because it's in FMEM mode, and the EPC solenoid raised the line pressure to compensate for the fault. The rattle might be coming from the timing chain & tensioner. What is the mileage?

The rattle is almost surely why the truck was sold. It’s the timing chain guides being worn or broken. Common issue on these 4.0s. Usually happens on a cold start after they loose their prime.

Yes, you have a 5r55e.

Well, I reviewed they step by step on changing the upper guides. I have done lots of other work on many other used cars that I'be owned. I think I am up for the challenge!

I’d get the transmission diagnosed first. If the transmission needs an overhaul I’d question whether or not I’d be fixing it.

That will be top of the list.

Are the 5r55e's known for having then TCC issue?

Pan drop, and valve body removal. Way easier than the timing chain repair.

GSmith, welcome.

So, I had Auto Zone rear the codes since mine is a basic reader. They did not come up with any tranny codes.

We only came up with:
P0113
P0102

The O/D light stayed off this morning until I got on the highway. It averages 20-22mpg on the highway, which seems about right. Not sure the tranny is misbehaving.

Maybe the fluid is too high? Do I need to get someone else to read it?

My wife's 99 Sport has had the flashing OD off light since we purchased it 7/2015. I tried to replace the torque converter solenoid on the valve body & it worked good for a while & then it started acting up again. Once she has driven it for a while the light comes on again.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back