Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Just cannot figure it out

Discussion in 'Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers' started by fordbsg, June 22, 2011.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. fordbsg

fordbsg New Member

City, State:
    Quartz Hill, CA
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2000 Explorer xlt
    Hello all,

Thanks for this cool site.

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0v-6 auto 2 wheel drive.

The Explorer idles fine but under load it runs super rough, pops, it only runs rough when you try to raise the idle over 1500 rpm, it will occasionally die but starts right up with out any problems. and it seams to only happen when it's warmed up, if I let it sit for a hour and restart it wont pop but as soon as it runs for over 2 minutes it starts again. and here is the kicker there are NO codes, nothing at all, the check engine light does NOT even come on when it does this, and the check engine light works, it comes on before start and turns off after start. but the computer is not registering any problems.

Any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. gmanpaint

gmanpaint Back in 5 minutes Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    STL MO
    Modified 95 XLT
    Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a blown intake gasket to me. This same scenario happened to mine, and had no CEL.

4. ranger7ltr

ranger7ltr Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Great State of Texas
    1999 Sport
    Sounds more like a clogged exhaust...

If the convertor or muffler is restricted, the engine would run like you describe...And you would not get any CEL codes either...

Just a bad running truck when it gets hot...

But I would also check the fuel filter, ignition coils, and the crank sensor...Either or all could cause the popping sound and the engine dying symptoms...

5. fordbsg

fordbsg New Member

City, State:
    Quartz Hill, CA
    2000 Explorer xlt
    Got it figuared out, the fuel pump was acting erratic, it was only allowing 15 psi of fuel and had no flow. Thanks all

We Support Our Troops!