fordbsg

Reaction score
City, State
Quartz Hill, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer xlt
Hello all,

Thanks for this cool site.

I have a 2000 Explorer XLT 4.0v-6 auto 2 wheel drive.

The Explorer idles fine but under load it runs super rough, pops, it only runs rough when you try to raise the idle over 1500 rpm, it will occasionally die but starts right up with out any problems. and it seams to only happen when it's warmed up, if I let it sit for a hour and restart it wont pop but as soon as it runs for over 2 minutes it starts again. and here is the kicker there are NO codes, nothing at all, the check engine light does NOT even come on when it does this, and the check engine light works, it comes on before start and turns off after start. but the computer is not registering any problems.

Any ideas?

Sounds more like a clogged exhaust...

If the convertor or muffler is restricted, the engine would run like you describe...And you would not get any CEL codes either...

Just a bad running truck when it gets hot...

But I would also check the fuel filter, ignition coils, and the crank sensor...Either or all could cause the popping sound and the engine dying symptoms...

Got it figuared out, the fuel pump was acting erratic, it was only allowing 15 psi of fuel and had no flow. Thanks all

Back