1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Just catching up

Discussion in 'Exploring Computers!!' started by bates, January 2, 2005.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. bates

bates Shine on Benevolent Sun

City, State:
      Kingston, Ontario, Canada
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4dr
      Hey all, Just tryin to catch up on the technology during the last year. A couple from chat might remember I said I'd get a new computer when Intel came out with a 64 bit chip. Well I thought I saw an ad for one some place so I'm sorta in the market. But it seems that (no surprise) there are new sockets and different memory and all that crap so if you computer gurus would humour my questions I'd be thankful!

1: Is the AMD socket 754 64 bit worth getting anymore? Would I be better off with a 939? Or is the 940 the new wave?

2: WTF is 1394? Do I want this? Do I need this? Is 6 pins better than 4?

3: How big of a power supply do I need?

4: Do I need a really fancy fan/heatsink?

5: Will my ATA HD work with a board designed to use SATA?

6: What is the deal with DVD+/-? Is math involved?

7: Am I on crack or did I see an ad for the intel xeon 64? Should I be using it instead of the AMD?

This is all I can think of for now, Thanks in advance guys!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. Forder

Forder Active Member

City, State:
      West Point, NY
      '94 XLT, '05 Altima 3.5
      I been shoppin for parts for me to build a new puter for a while and I think I can answer some of your Qs from what I've learned so far.

1. Socket 754 is still fast enough for todays standards from what I've read, but I'm goin with a 939 just cuz I know they cant be slower or less efficient than a 754 and cuz they only offer the FX-55 as a 939 socket CPU, which is what I'm getting. Socket 940 is definitly not the way to go, mostly cuz there's not many mobos that support it that are worth a crap, that's why they started making the 939s.

2. I knew about this at one point, I can't remember off the top of my head, but I'm sure if you google it or went to www.howstuffworks.com you'd be able to find out a lot about it. I think it has something to do with networking.

3. Depends on what you are goin to be doing with your puter and what all you are going to have in it. If you are going to have like 2 optical drives, 2 Hard Drives, an nVidia 6800 series graphics card (they suck a lot of power), and more than a few fans in it, I wouldn't go any less than a 450 watt power supply. I got a 500 Watt power supply for my Termaltake case with 5 fans (w/ LED lights), 2 optical drives, 1 HD and an ATI Radeon x800 XT 256 MB graphics card. But most conventional PCs can get away with a 350 watt PSU, witch is pretty much the bare minimum of what you should buy for anything new these days.

4. You pay for what you get here. Most retail heatsink/fan combos that come with the CPU are good enoug to get the job done. But an aftermarket setup would definitly lower th temp a bit and mabye bring a small performance gain.

5. I'm pretty sure it would, but not 100% on that. Cuz you still have to use an IDE connector to plug the optical drives into the mobo, which is the same connector you use on an ATA or Ultra ATA HD. So the mobo would certainly have the ATA connector on it still.

6. This is mostly just different brand DVD players only supporting certain types of DVDs. Only certain brand DVD players would play DVD+ while others would only play DVD-. Don't ask me what the point was, but most DVD players now will play both. hehe, no math is involved.

7. Don't know much about Xeon CPUs besides that they are only meant to be used as network server CPUs and that they are expensive as crap. They are pretty impractical to use in a regular desktop puter as far as I know.

Hope I was able to inform ya a lil on some of these Qs. I tried, heh.

4. Flounder

Flounder Owns 10,000 Marbles Elite Explorer Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
      Pennsylvania
      '08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
      (2) is a firewire port, comparable in speed to USB 2.0. 4 pin firewires are common on laptop units; 6 pin (fullsize) common on desktop units. If you have a laptop 4 pin and you have a 6 pin device, you'll need an adapter.

Firewire has two speeds - 400 Mbps and 800 Mbps. That's about all I know off the top of my head.

I'm sure a Google search could provide more information than I know.

5. rfuree11

rfuree11 Official Bikini Inspector

City, State:
      Boston
      07 WRX Limited
      5- yes you will be able to use an ATA HD on a SATA board- i have 4 connections on mine- 2 SATA and 2 ATA

6. EliteConcept

EliteConcept Well-Known Member

City, State:
      LaPorte, Indiana
      04 Civic LX

7. bates

bates Shine on Benevolent Sun

City, State:
      Kingston, Ontario, Canada
      1991 Eddie Bauer 4x4 4dr