• Register Today It's free!

Just got a 97 explorer sport!

FordExploder94

Reaction score
City, State
new england
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer Sport
hey guys ive posted on this site a few times before. i used to have a 94 explorer that was in less than good condition, the water pump recently went and it has to many miles on it to fix. so after saving up a few pay checks and gettin my tax refund it was time for me to start looking for another vechicle. i knew i wanted something with 4x4 and more room than a single cab. so after looking on craigslist for a while i came across a 5 speed 97 Ford Explorer Sport. It has 105,000 miles on it. the latest owner was a mechanic and he showed me all the recepits on everything he put into it. well over $2000 dollars was put into the car (parts& labor) the clutch and transfer case both have less than 20k miles on them. its a 5 speed witch is freaking awsome! it has sport trac or w.e so its auto 4x4 but i can switch it between high and low. motor purrs and no noises. the rocker panels were replaced on both sides. the tires have about 75% tred left on them. the only thing it needs is a back bumber (it has rott and it is pushed in on the drivers side) it needs a cable for the hood relase (i can still shut and open it its just a pain in the butt) and it needs rear shocks, but im going to replace the shocks in the front and the back. Other than that the truck is mechanicly solid. the interior is grey cloth and is extra clean (a few stains on the rug but nothing some floor mats wont fix) I am using this truck as my main means of transportation. i drive about 60 miles round trip to work and back 5 days a week. i want this truck to last me as long as possible so i am going to try everything in my power to keep it running good. I want to do a full tune up to the engine. (spark plugs, igntion wires, air filter, etc) Could some one give me a list of things i can do to tune up the engine. also i want to get some nice aftermarket/performance shocks all around. can any one suggest me some good shocks or a good site to buy them from. Also i want to put some big tires on it. as big as i can get with out them rubbing or having to get a lift. i also need 2 center caps for the rims in the back. does any one know where i can get those? thanks for taking the time to read this, i am going to come back and post pics after thanks!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

frontviewj.jpg

Looks Mint from the front!
bumperw.jpg

You can see the damage on the left side
odomy.jpg

104k miles !!!!!!
sideviewa.jpg

My new truck!!!

Click on the link in my signature its a list of how to videos I have made. Do numbers 1,2,3,5,7,8,13,14,16,17a and b,20, 26 is a copperhead 2" lift shackle review.

Nice ride. Enjoy :)

hey thanks for the link usefull info! but i see that they are for a 96 5.0, is that the same as my truck?

i love this new ride!

hey thanks for the link usefull info! but i see that they are for a 96 5.0, is that the same as my truck?

i love this new ride!

Most of the information in the videos will match any explorer.

ok excellent i want to get....
-Aftermarket Shocks
-Flow master Muffler
-Exhaust Tip
-Big Tires
-Chrome bumper
-Skid Plates for underneath
-Grille Guard
-Aftermarket Grill
-Side Steps
-Hydraulic arm for back gate
-Hood Release cable
-Rubber coat the frame

Start savin your pennies lol.

Im goin with bilstein shocks.

www.shockwarehouse.com has a deal buy 3 shocks get 1 free for bilsteins.

nice sport u got there come check it out my sport i got an 01 sport 4x2 with some mods listed on my signature but i wanna do more to it.

i got pics but they are 9 months old but here is link anyways.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

tell me what u think

nice sport u got there come check it out my sport i got an 01 sport 4x2 with some mods listed on my signature but i wanna do more to it.

i got pics but they are 9 months old but here is link anyways.

www.cardomain.com/id/sams01xplrsprt

tell me what u think

i really like the dual flowmasters, i want to put dual pipes on my truck but will it be alot harder than just doing one?

sam u got a nice truck i love that style explorers!

Get rid of the mono leaf springs and put in 4 door leaf pack, do the brown wire mod.

Get rid of the mono leaf springs and put in 4 door leaf pack, do the brown wire mod.

is that a hard application?? will it give me better suspension?

also what is the brown wire mod? is that to trick the computer to think i am in 4x4 but im really still in 2wd?:thumbdwn:

Back