Just got back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got back

gsueagle2424

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Sport
I just got back from a pretty lengthy trip. We drove from Savannah, GA to the Trenton, NJ area in our '11 EX Limited. Here are a couple of the pro's and con's from me on this long trip.

Pro's
1.) Comfortable! - We had four adults, one sat in the second row and the other in the third row. Both were able to stretch out and sleep if they wanted. The passenger in the third row said it was a little cramped do to the wheel wells but other than that was comfortable.
- I personally thought the drivers seat was extremely comfortable and allowed me to stretch out during the long drive.
2.) Gas Mileage - We averaged right at 23 mpg's cruising right at 80 mph the whole way. This average is including about 2 hours of stop and go traffic in Washington DC.
3.)Performance IMO this is one of the best engines Ford has put out. The 3.5 V-6 puts out ample power for the average driver. Also, being able to cruise at 80mph at 2k rpms is pretty nice.
4.)My Ford Touch I thought the system worked pretty well for the most part. While there are some bugs that need to be worked out overall I was very happy with its performance.

Con's
1.)Sync - For some reason my phone will connect with sync but it never recognizes my voice. There was also one point in the trip that my phone wouldn't connect and a black screen that said, "SYNC Scheduled Maintenance - please stand by" showed up for about 5 minutes and the phone started to connect again.
2.)Second Row Seat-belt I sat in the back for a little while and that stupid seat-belt constantly locked up on me!!
3.)Spare TireAlthough I have not had to use the spare the simple fact of knowing they didn't put a full size spare in a SUV makes me mad.

Overall, I love the new Explorer!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got back from a pretty lengthy trip. We drove from Savannah, GA to the Trenton, NJ area in our '11 EX Limited. Here are a couple of the pro's and con's from me on this long trip.

Pro's
1.) Comfortable! - We had four adults, one sat in the second row and the other in the third row. Both were able to stretch out and sleep if they wanted. The passenger in the third row said it was a little cramped do to the wheel wells but other than that was comfortable.
- I personally thought the drivers seat was extremely comfortable and allowed me to stretch out during the long drive.
2.) Gas Mileage - We averaged right at 23 mpg's cruising right at 80 mph the whole way. This average is including about 2 hours of stop and go traffic in Washington DC.
3.)Performance IMO this is one of the best engines Ford has put out. The 3.5 V-6 puts out ample power for the average driver. Also, being able to cruise at 80mph at 2k rpms is pretty nice.
4.)My Ford Touch I thought the system worked pretty well for the most part. While there are some bugs that need to be worked out overall I was very happy with its performance.

Con's
1.)Sync - For some reason my phone will connect with sync but it never recognizes my voice. There was also one point in the trip that my phone wouldn't connect and a black screen that said, "SYNC Scheduled Maintenance - please stand by" showed up for about 5 minutes and the phone started to connect again.
2.)Second Row Seat-belt I sat in the back for a little while and that stupid seat-belt constantly locked up on me!!
3.)Spare TireAlthough I have not had to use the spare the simple fact of knowing they didn't put a full size spare in a SUV makes me mad.

Overall, I love the new Explorer!!

Do you have the FWD or 4WD? I was hoping to get that kind of mileage out of my 4WD, but at 70 MPH I could only pull 22, so I can't imagine getting 23 at 80 MPH.....

Has to be FWD. There is now way your getting that milage in a 4WD. If you are congrats!!!!!!!!!! You get 2k rpm at 80 mph out of a V6 3.5 litre engine? Mine is over 2000rpm at 70mph. Strange. I have an 4WD. Question for everyone. At what MPH do you go over 2k RPM? Thanks.
Oh, don't mean to hi jack the thread. Just that the original poster opened up some large questions for me.

Are your Second Row Seat-Belts the airbag inflatable seat belts?

It is a FWD. And at 80mph it was just barely over 2k rpm. I don't have the inflatable seat belts they just keep locking up!

Nice to hear such good news!! Mine is in production this week and looking forward to getting it soon too!!

Thanks for the report!

Doesn't the ability to maintain speed @ a certain RPM depend on wind resistance? It's hard to make an overall generalization on this.

Good to hear you iked the drive. I'm driving From Northern Virginia to Greenville, SC next week. As much as I enjoy this truck, I can't wait for the trip.

I just sat on the second row (bucket seats) yesterday for a 7 hour trip. Same thing; the damn seat-belt kept locking up!!! UGH!

I just sat on the second row (bucket seats) yesterday for a 7 hour trip. Same thing; the damn seat-belt kept locking up!!! UGH!

I have had this happen in all makes of vehicles I have owned so Ford doesn't have the market on this issue. The service depatments always say it is supposed to do that.

Back