Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Just got pulled over by the Secret Service for cb antennas

Discussion in 'Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications' started by nmpfeiff, April 15, 2010.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Zacspizza

Zacspizza New Member

City, State:
    oc, California
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '00 XLT
    He was trying to trick you...

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    My antenna flag is the little $1 Walmart flag on a wooden stick that I zip tied around my antenna for the trip. I never figured it would hold on all the way up I-95 running that fast but it held on and looked pretty good.

I had a hard time taking these guys seriously bc there were probably more important things they need to be worried about. They must have just been bored. Funny thing is I had the S.S. on the passenger side interrogating me and Capitol Police on my window trying to tell me how he used to party back in N.C. when he was stationed at Fort Bragg. He asked me my birthday and I thought he was serious and when I told him his response was "S**t yall were just little toddlers when I was raising cane down south." Why pull me over if you don't care and take it seriously. I think they were just bored and needed something to do since the Nuclear Summit was over. lol

4. (fordguy7)

(fordguy7) New Member

City, State:
    Palm Coast, FL
    '96 Eddie Bauer 5.0
    Sounds to me like DC is paranoid. It was country boys that started this great country, so I guess the city boys figure a CB radio makes a dangerous rebel. I've always wanted to visit Washington, but with my whip, Bonnie Blue decal, and my Come and Take It decal, I think we'll take the Taurus.

5. Scott B.

Scott B. Well-Known Member

City, State:
    GA
    '93 Ranger XLT
    I doubt any of the current establishment knows what that is...

6. YBCold

YBCold Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Las Vegas NV
    91 ×∟┬
    so now its a crime to have CB radios? i would just flipped the bird and drove off. maybe u should have mooned them or something. or better yet just wear a turbine and army jacket and get an airsoft AK 47.

7. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    Ha they would still have you sitting in jail.

8. Rick

Rick Pumpkin Pilot Staff Member Admin Elite Explorer

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    I wonder what they would have done to this guy??

[​IMG]

Better yet...

[​IMG]

9. nmpfeiff

nmpfeiff Member

City, State:
    Advance, NC
    2002 Eddie Bauer
    That might be the greatest thing I have ever seen. They would probably have shot him on site. All I had was one standard CB radio in my truck and they spent like 15 min inspecting it and looking for other radio's in the back. He would have probably had his vehicle impounded for a year because they would have had to check everyone of those radio's.

10. High_Order1

High_Order1 Active Member

City, State:
    near Oak Ridge, TN
    2005 Jack Bauer Edition
    Apparently, y'all don't get how critical communications are these days, and why they would be paying attention to vehicles capable of carrying any weight and having a bunch of antennas means. Its' not just the White House; there are a lot of National Defense Areas that don't want people taking an interest in them. Its' not paranoid. For instance, its' public knowledge that a group of people with an assload of technical intercept gear drove across the United States a few years back surveying many, many sensitive sites.

No, many states flag a drivers license to let police officers know the person they are checking is a weapons permit holder. He asked if he had guns, then he maybe he found out he had a permit, then he asked to see what the response was.

Really? Like what? Hey, its' not like you were IN FRONT OF THE WHITE HOUSE or anything...

Or, they got intel that something might be getting ready to happen, and pay more attention to certain types of behaviors or vehicles.

Let me put it to you another way. Without getting into a whole nother area, that I'm not going to talk about, what if you had a jammer in that vehicle? That big spiral loading coil you have is rated for a thousand watts, and looks similar to certain other types of equipment that concern communications people. Did you know that the military and Federal Government still talk a LOT on frequencies that are very, very close to childrens' band?

Also, consider this: how many other non-governmental vehicles did you notice with those kinds of antennas on it? Hey, it might be popular here in Stinky Neck, Tennessee, but Citizens Band isn't exactly de rigeur in DC. lol

Uh, they were being friendly with you, and keeping you talking to see what your behavior was, while waiting for your face pictures and information to traverse some huge, huge databases. They coulda stood there and just stared, too.

yeah. that.

you should do that.
    You know, sometimes you can almost feel the eyeball of those snipers on your neck when you are in that area.

That's because what they were looking for would have been mounted in the boot. Too big to be anywhere else.

Nope. The tech guy watching you on the closed circuit feed would have known what they were. Those aren't as much interest as what they were concerned about.

Funny topic, though!

Shawn

11. Keeper0311

Keeper0311 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Riverside, CA
    2000 XLT 4x4
  12. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    ANY cell phone is more advanced technology than a CB or Ham Radio. You no longer need big antennas to communicate across the world by voice, or data.

The thought that terrorists would be running around with massive antennas on their vehicles is laughable.

13. IZwack

IZwack Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Germantown, MD
    1998 Ford Explorer
    Agreed but cell phones is just one form of communication at a specific range of frequencies. Other frequencies and modes of transmission depend on an exposed antenna.

Crackers and hackers for example prefer a wireless card with an external antenna (with a pigtail or a cord) for "war driving" because such antennas are better at snooping on WiFi signals.

14. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Crooklyn NY!
    considering most hackers use cars with cb antennas to sniff out unsecured networks its cheaper to pull over every car with antennas then enforce IT policy's

15. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    The frequency range "war drivers" are after don't require 9ft whip antennas... WiFi frequencies are much closer to cellular frequencies than they are to any HF frequencies which requires a long whip antenna. The wardrivers I've seen use a small verticle antenna, or a small beam.

[​IMG]
    Photo courtesy of a Google search..

The really long mobile antennas are only useful for HF communications. HF has been all, but phased out in any kind of urban law enforcement environment.

16. reapereviltwin

reapereviltwin Keep on wheelin John Rock Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Glen Rock, Pa
    '92 Explorer
    This has turned into a interesting thread.

IMHO, the S.S. was simply doing their job and just checking a vehicle out just to make sure the driver and passenger(s) were no threat. They most likley did have better things to do but couldn't since they had to do this. Who knows, there might of been evidence that a vehicle is trying to intercept communctions from the White House. Every time I have been pulled over, one of the things the LEO asks me if I am carrying a weapon. The officer speaking of what he did while stationed at Ft. Bragg might of just been him finding a common reference and speaking to the driver in an effort to help keep the situation calm.
    Sniper eyeballs on the back of your neck? They must be up in the Washington Memorial, since Willy Nelson smoked a joint on top of the White House I really don't think they are positioned there. Even tho there is open areas in that vicinity, the White House itself would be in the LOF.
    As for the comments about the rifle, army jacket, turbin, just sarcasim.
    "near Oak Ridge, Tn" and "without gettin into a whole nother area that I am not going to talk about" looks kinda odd itself.
    Since it takes less power to send a signal to the Mars Rover than to power a flashlight, it does seem like all the folks taking pics with their cell phones might need to have "sniper eyeballs" on the back of their necks also.

:popcorn:

17. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Crooklyn NY!
    think the nsa has nothing better else to do imo. or spend our money on.

you can buy powered antenna's and see ranges over 5 miles now.... think they do it to put a show on, after being humiliated on the news over someone with a laptop and scanning networks.

the real question is how many civil rights did they break!

18. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    Who needs a scanner with an external antenna these days? There are "apps for that":D

19. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Crooklyn NY!
    lol

20. Rick

Media:
    Albums:
    City, State:
    Wayoutin, Aridzona
    '93 XL Pumpkin Edition
    Callsign:
    AB7FH
    There really are... We were listening to police calls at the last Truck Haven run. Mrs. Zukman had an app for that on her Android phone:D

21. waskly

waskly Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Crooklyn NY!
    wow, nice.

was it an htc android phone i know they need headphones plugged in to get a fm antenna signal.