Just got the Apten Chip! | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just got the Apten Chip!

Dead Link Removed

New buy on the chips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Black Magic, im a fellow St. Louisan!~ We could meet up sometime, im actually in st charles, off of hwy 94.

Anyways, i barely got beat by my friends Grand Prix GTP last night, and i think that if i had some electric fans, and an apten chip i could have took him. BTW, i have a 98 NASCAR F150, not an explorer sorry...

About the tranny thing, the chip will in fact extend the life of your tranny, to some extent. The chip is not a real shift kit, all it does is increase the fluid pressure. Thats why i will get a Transgo shift kit in addition to the apten chip, someday when i find 400 bucks lying on the sidewalk. lol.

Id like to keep up with this thread, its very interesting!

- Rick -

Originally posted by NASCARMAN
Anyways, i barely got beat by my friends Grand Prix GTP last night, and i think that if i had some electric fans, and an apten chip i could have took him. BTW, i have a 98 NASCAR F150, not an explorer sorry... - Rick -

Whats the diff between a reg f150 and a nascar one?

Hello, NASCARMAN, How are you? Yea, I want to get a midwest meet sometime for everyone arround here.

The Nascar F-150 was a Special Edition, it had Black steel wheels, Nascar graphics, Yellow letter Goodyear tires, and more stuff like that. They are pretty cool looking!

IMG11A.jpg

Yeah, the NASCAR Edition has checkered graphics along the bed and tailgate. Mine originally had black steel wheels until the previous owner put on 17inch American Racing 6 spoke polished aluminum wheels. Im still looking for yellow lettered tires that will fit my wheels. The interior has the two tone dash, "NASCAR Official Truck" embroidered on the headrests and floormats.

I plan on getting an Apten diablo chip, electric fans, and a Transgo shift kit as soon as i get the money...

It was hard losing by a car length to a grand prix gtp so maybe this chip could put me ahead.

Anyways, Black Magic, i live in st chuck off of hwy 94 right where the Page extension intersects 94. BTW, how much does a dyno cost??

Thanks guys!

- Rick -

Rick,

I would suggest doing a search on using electric fans. It may not cool your radiator fast enough.

Matt,

If I can remember correct its about $250-300ish. I think it was listed somewhere on Brians site.

When I went to the dyno it was $100 for three runs. Depends on the place, but usually it's about $30-50 a run depending on "options" or about $200-300 an hour.

Hey i was just talking to my bud in LA about computer chips. He said he wont buy a performance one because it takes a while for the performance to kick in. He was saying that even with the new chip, it has to relearn the perameters, and it will take a week or so before the power comes. Is this true? Or is the power increase instant?

- Rick -

The moment I first drove after the install of my Apten chip, I thought I was in a different truck. The power was there instantly. It does get better as it learns though.

Originally posted by NASCARMAN
Hey i was just talking to my bud in LA about computer chips. He said he wont buy a performance one because it takes a while for the performance to kick in. He was saying that even with the new chip, it has to relearn the perameters, and it will take a week or so before the power comes. Is this true? Or is the power increase instant?

- Rick -

That is not true at all. I pulled those dyno's with in minutes of each other and you see the difference.

See Dyno information here

Immediate Results

Ditto on immediate results. Even my wife, without knowing I had installed one, noticed the big change in drivability. Much better response in normal driving as well as when you stomp on it.

I am considering asking Brian to reflash with a little less timing advance, though. Even with 92-93 octane, during warm-up I get some pinging. I just haven't wanted to part with it long enough to have him do it. I think it's that good.

By the way, even if it did (or does) have to have a week of driving to get the full benefit (as someone's friend suggested), wouldn't it still be just as valuable and worth buying? I've worked on other projects for more than a week and gotten less response. Hell, I wish I could lose this extra weight in a week <grin>.

dang that made a pretty good difference

ok, normally this chip costs like 350 bucks. If i join a group buy, how much would it cost? Are there anymore group buys going on here anyways??

- Rick -

APTEN is a Godsend

Well, got my single program Apten in the mail today, to save time, I'll post the email that I sent Brian.

>Well, ignore that last email...

I got the chip today, and about peed my pants while putting it in, I couldnt wait. About half hour after it came out of my box, it was in the truck. Holy ****, I knew it was going to change things, but my Lord man, the truck acts like its on steroids now. #1 thing about it--the shifts. I didnt realize how sloppy my tranny was until your chip came along to show me what my Sport could do. Its like the freakin Energizer bunny now...just keeps going and going and going.....Sounds a lot growlier now too, almost V8ish, which is a nice bonus that I wasnt expecting.

Thanks for your work and excellent support. I have a buddy with a Sport that used to take me off the line, simply because hes got 4.10s...needless to say he wants to know what the hell I did to my truck. I didnt want to tell him, but I did.

Todd<

So, basically, that might have been the best 2 bills Ive ever spent. I guess I had the same code as Black Magic, so I have a program very similar to his. Plan on looking into dynoing the Sport here soon, both with and sans chip.

As far as mileage increases...your asking the wrong person. My gas pedal has two settings, on and off.

For what its worth, I found a HUGE gain in the middle like 30-60mph. The truck seemed to go flat at those speeds like it needed more fuel at WOT. After installing the chip it pulls right through to redline without that flat spot feeling. Not to mention everyone that drives it cant believe the throttle response. Thank you Brian.:D

hey are you guys gonna do this group buy again?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey are you guys gonna do this group buy again?

I second that request. I am tired of running 89 octane to stop the pinging, and still have it ping on 85º+ days. I live in Florida, so it does it all summer.

Back