Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

just installed drive belt, keeps comming off.

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by cantspell, November 28, 2002.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. cantspell

cantspell Active Member

City, State:
    Toronto. Canada
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1998 xlt
    Hey there, i just got my x a week ago, and i love it, but it started squeeling afer a day, i checked and the belt was probally the original. Anyways, yesterday i put it on, and then today, at like 6am, driving to work the damn thing comes off on the highway...less than thrilling (tyring to steer).
    Anyays, everything looks to be in order, i put it back on, but i don't think the tensioner is working as well as it should....it's a little more forward of the other pulley's and i thought it was pushing out more then i took the first belt off??? To loosen it i turned the nut counterclock wise, and i tightened it back, but how tight do i have to torque this thing?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. mdrut

mdrut Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Inverness, Fl.
    '91 sport
    If it is squelling, it may not be the belt.. If the pulley is moving front to rear, or has ANY wobble in it, then you need to replace it. On the 91-94, there are 2 idler pulleys..Cheap and easy fix..Think I gave $14 for the last one I bought...

4. cantspell

cantspell Active Member

City, State:
    Toronto. Canada
    1998 xlt
    i have a soch 98'. and it's not the pulley's as it stoped squeeling once i had put on the newer belt, it's just that it came off after a day of driving. And it seems either the tensioner is not putting enough pressure on the belt? or it's not inline with the other pulley's???

5. mrboyle

mrboyle I Drive By Brail Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Montrose, CO
    '95 Bronco '80 Toy
    It sounds like the tensioner took a crap.

6. cantspell

cantspell Active Member

City, State:
    Toronto. Canada
    1998 xlt
    It turned out to be that the original belt was shot, and when i put on the new one, i put in on wrong, with the tensioner out of line (the little slot was not matching up with the notch on the block). SO i finally got it on right, it's a hell of a lot of pressure you need to push the tensioner down enough to slip the belt on...now no problem!

7. Crankcase

Crankcase Moderator Emeritus Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Vancouver B.C, Canada
    1992 XL Ex-Police
    I know all about it, I pulled my arm out of alignment when I did an emergency belt replacement with inferior tools.....