just installed drive belt, keeps comming off. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

just installed drive belt, keeps comming off.

cantspell

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
Hey there, i just got my x a week ago, and i love it, but it started squeeling afer a day, i checked and the belt was probally the original. Anyways, yesterday i put it on, and then today, at like 6am, driving to work the damn thing comes off on the highway...less than thrilling (tyring to steer).
Anyays, everything looks to be in order, i put it back on, but i don't think the tensioner is working as well as it should....it's a little more forward of the other pulley's and i thought it was pushing out more then i took the first belt off??? To loosen it i turned the nut counterclock wise, and i tightened it back, but how tight do i have to torque this thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it is squelling, it may not be the belt.. If the pulley is moving front to rear, or has ANY wobble in it, then you need to replace it. On the 91-94, there are 2 idler pulleys..Cheap and easy fix..Think I gave $14 for the last one I bought...

i have a soch 98'. and it's not the pulley's as it stoped squeeling once i had put on the newer belt, it's just that it came off after a day of driving. And it seems either the tensioner is not putting enough pressure on the belt? or it's not inline with the other pulley's???

It sounds like the tensioner took a crap.

It turned out to be that the original belt was shot, and when i put on the new one, i put in on wrong, with the tensioner out of line (the little slot was not matching up with the notch on the block). SO i finally got it on right, it's a hell of a lot of pressure you need to push the tensioner down enough to slip the belt on...now no problem!

Originally posted by cantspell
SO i finally got it on right, it's a hell of a lot of pressure you need to push the tensioner down enough to slip the belt on...now no problem!

I know all about it, I pulled my arm out of alignment when I did an emergency belt replacement with inferior tools.....

Back