Just say NO!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just say NO!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rick:
This is actually a tough one for us Utahns.
We all get bad press from those who don't tread lightly. The abusers are the ones pointed out when these debates open. Although almost half of Utah is already protected by BLM, some of the best trails are still open to us. Don't think Moab is the only place to go. The problem I see is they promise that trails will be kept open, then have them close them to us when we approve the measure.
I have voted No on this measure, but it would be a lot easier on us if everyone was a little more responsible when tracking through the wilderness. Pictures of tread marks all over a rock incline don't do us any good.
By the way, most of us here opposed the last wilderness measure, (pushed by Clinton), and will oppose any further measures. But if you're looking for some wilderness terrain, check out southwest and south central Utah. Rock climbing in Moab is only a small part of 4wheeling in Utah.

The trouble with the "wilderness" designation is that all motorized vehicle traffic is disallowed forever once it's in place. If they say the trails will be kept open they are either lieing or it's not true "wilderness".

I am a heavy believer in the Tread Lightly etiquette. I love the outdoors and don't want to see it trashed. However I want to be able to drive my 4x4 into extremly remote locations where I wouldn't normally go because I'm not a hiker or rock climber.

As far as tire marks on sandstone or granite...What is it hurting??? The rocks already have discolorations from tree sap, bird droppings, acid rain, cow poop, etc. Two dark tracks on red rock should not ruin someones outdoor experience.

I have no problem sharing the trail with bikers, hikers, ATV's or anyone. I just wish they would feel the same way. If a mountain biker is going so fast that he rides smack into the front of my truck is that my fault for being there? I don't think so! It's his fault for riding his bike beyond his control. Just as it would be my fault if I rolled my vehicle doing a tricky rock crawling manuver.

When the hiker, bicyclist or rock climber breaks an ankle while in the backcountry I'm sure they would all of a sudden feel very happy to have a four wheeler around to help evacuate them.

You know many fourwheelers now make it part of their job to pack out trash left by others on the trail. Maybe it would be good etiquette to ask hikers if we could pack out any of their trash when we see them on the trail. That would mean less for them to carry and would give us a good public relations boost.

It used to be that wilderness had to have so many miles of roadless terrain before it could get that designation. Now they are taking the old mining roads off the maps so they can claim there are no roads in the area. The Grand Escalante area is a good example of that. From what I understand many existing roads were included in that wilderness area.

If we don't stand up for what we have the only four wheeling we will be allowed to do will be in 4x4 amusement parks built in a K-mart parking lot.

------------------
Rick Horwitz
explorer@4x4central.com
Editor
www.4x4central.com

Back