1. Tip...
    If you hold most smartphones sideways
    you can bring up a more full featured version of the forum.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Just want to shut check engine light off

Discussion in 'General Explorations!!' started by o6tnineo, December 16, 2004.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. o6tnineo

o6tnineo New Member

City, State:
      Omaha,Ne
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      My check engine light has been on for the the last 30,000 miles. Its been running perfectly fine. I've had my codes scanned, rescanned, and rescanned. (My buddy is a mechanic and offers me free help on my X) However, we still can not figure out the meaning of the light. So I was wondering if there was a fuse I could pull that would just shut off the light, or do I have to take apart the gauge cluster and take the bulb out?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. jimbo74

jimbo74 Elite Exploder Elite Explorer

Media:
      Albums:
      City, State:
      Nor*Cal
      2001, F150, XLT 4x4
      well you need to figure out why its on... otehrwise you wont pass inspection... you could just pull the bulb out..... or stick electrical tape over the area on the cluster

4. NusenseSD

NusenseSD Active Member

City, State:
      Sandy Eggo, Cali
      2002 XLS Sport
      if you have to turn it off for inspection you can't just turn it off.. If its a emission check they look for the check engine light to come on and go off during start up.

What I would do is go to your local Kragen, Autozone, Pep Boys etc and ask them to scan your truck. They will elt you know what it is and should even be able to clear it for you if its something that was taken care of.

Also if you remove the power from the battery for about 5 minutes it will reset the check engine light. If it comes back on then there is a reason for it so go and get the code read and fix it..

5. o6tnineo

o6tnineo New Member

City, State:
      Omaha,Ne
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      Inspection!??? I don't think we have anything like that here in Nebraska. Its just annoying when friends pile in and say "Hey, your check engine light is on".

6. aldive

aldive Elite In Memoriam

1999 XLT
      What code(s) did the scan determine?

7. o6tnineo

o6tnineo New Member

City, State:
      Omaha,Ne
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      1. ~ 3 years ago - MAS (so I cleaned it, reset the codes, light went off)
      2. ~ 2.5 years ago - IAC (had it replaced, reset the codes, light went off)
      3. ~ 2 years ago - Banks 1 & 2 were lean (replaced O2 sensors, reset codes, light went off)
      4. Currently running good, however light came back on about 1.5 years ago throwing the same bad O2 sensor codes again. So I replaced the same ones again (temporarily) , reset the codes, light came back on with Banks 1 & 2. So I then put the 6 months old O2 sensors back in and woila, the light came back on.

I've cleared the codes on multiple occasions, just to have that d@mn check engine light come back on and tell me that my banks 1&2 were still running lean.

I'm open to any ideas y'all might have.

8. Billy177

Billy177 Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Redding CT
      99 Explorer XLT SOHC 4x4
      it is prorally loose intake manifold bolts. they like to back out over time. just re torque em and reset the computer. it should run better and get better milage

9. MrShorty

MrShorty Explorer Addict

City, State:
      Spanish Fork, UT
      92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
      Important thing to remember, even on EEC-V vehicles -- trouble codes point to circuits. Rarely can you determine what's wrong solely from the trouble code. For example, an O2 sensor code can be set by:
      1) Incorrect fuel pressure
      2) Vacuum leak
      3) Incorrect input from MAF
      4) Exhaust leak
      5) Misfire
      6) Bad computer ground
      7) Bad connection between sensor and computer
      8) Bad O2 sensor
      and I'm sure many other possibilities. I don't know many of the specifics of the EEC-V system, but these are some general things to check.

10. o6tnineo

o6tnineo New Member

City, State:
      Omaha,Ne
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      Thanks everyone, now I have some things to try before I resort to just pulling the bulb.

BTW, anyone here have any experience with re-upolstering the console lid in a '96 (tan). I saw a kit on ebay for 25 bux from fixyourford.com. Any opinions!?

11. Rico1956

Rico1956 New Member

City, State:
      Madison, MS
      '96 XLT
      This is my first post, and I have absolutely no mechanical knowledge of anything, but I do have a '96 XLT that had the same problem (check engine light).

It also had another problem, and by fixing one, the other seems to be fixed too. Maybe it will work for you...

My Explorer had a problem every now and then with starting. It wouldn't happen often, but every couple of weeks when I turned the key, the engine would turn over, but it sounded like it wasn't getting any fuel. Usually though, after just letting it sit a little while, it would suddenly start with no problem.

I took it to the shop several times, but of course it always seemed to be working perfectly when they looked at it, and finally they suggested that I replace the fuel pump, which I did.

A week later, same problem. I waited a while (in the middle of nowhere!), and after thirty minutes or so, I heard a "click" sound from the engine compartment. I turned the key, and started up just fine!

Took it back to the mechanic- he said that it sounded like a resistor (sp) which he replaced at no charge.

That seemed to have solved my problem (it still happens occasionally, but I just jiggle the resistor, and it starts right up), and as an added benefit, the check engine light that had been glaring at me for 20,000 miles turned off- not instantly, but after I drove it around a few times...

You might want to give it a shot- I don't have any idea as to why this worked, but suspect that maybe the resistor has something to do with the emission, or fuel pump, or whatever. Then again, maybe not- could have been some kind of Voodoo thing....

HTH,
      Dave

12. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      2006 Impala SS
      I've done it and it was a PITA...likely b/c i used a better grade (thicker) vinyl.
      The process is pretty simple, especially if you use standard thickness vinyl. Just find a fabric store and buy the stuff yourself - it's about $5 for a yard or so (and you'll get a couple cuts out of it). Buy more, it's cheap and you'll need it when you mess up the first one.

13. o6tnineo

o6tnineo New Member

City, State:
      Omaha,Ne
      '05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
      I might just give the resistor replacement a try. As for the cosole lid, I guess i'll just have to try that too, OTOH, I can't make the console lid look any worse than it is now!!!

haha

14. BuffaloXplorer

BuffaloXplorer The X had to go!

City, State:
      Buffalo, New York
      2006 Impala SS
      The underside of the lid, the part that holds the fabric in place, has tiny teeth that WILL bite! I started from the front and after folding over the edges of the vinyl, re-screw the underside back in one screw at a time. Because you need to keep tucking the vinyl between the "frame," you're going to get you finger caught once or twice. The front is the hardest part (well, for me, b/c i had a thicker vinyl) b/c you'll want to tuck it in neatly to avoid ugly pleats. Good luck with that

15. 2talll

2talll Member

City, State:
      Ansonia, CT
      99 Explorer Sport
      Ford recall 00m12 should help with the check engine light. I just found out today that there is a recall for the intake manifold gaskets- there are leaks around the o-rings or something like that that causes hard starts in cold temperatures and air to get in causing the O2 sensors to read lean making the light go on.

My check engine light has been on for 2 years- nice of Ford to tell me of the recall. Instead of telling me about that they give me a list of things that they need to fix that would have cost over $650 if I didn't tell them to shove it. Going to have the dealership where I bought the car (back at my parents) do the recall work.

16. Jonny813

Jonny813 Member

City, State:
      Tampa, Florida
      '04 Sport Trac XLT Prem
      When was the last time you changed your fuel filter? Clogged fuel filter can cause it to run lean on bank 1 / 2, thats whats going on with mine right now.