Justin's 97 Sport -- "Sue" | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin's 97 Sport -- "Sue"

Hey all,

I've been around for maybe a year, looking at various things to do, but i figured i might as well put what i've done so far out there and what i hope to do.

I have Christened her Sue.

97 sport
4wd
leather interior
premium sound
sun roof
4.0 SOHC
4.10 Gears w/ "towing Package"

SueStock.jpg

I got my explorer in February of 2007 for 7000 with a one year bumper to bumper warranty with 90098 miles.

This isn't mine, but it's about as stock as i could find a picture of a sport.

Anyways, current and previous mods are:
Sony Explod head Unit 52WX4 ($243 w/ install)
2 12" Sony 1000W peak @ 4ohm subs ($130 with box)
Sony explod 1200W 2way amp ($199.99)
3way pioneers 6X8 in the back ($70)
4way pioneers 6x8 in the front ($30)
LED's in Cup holders, underside of the doors( $10, 100LEDs)
Stock 16s painted Black with Chrome center caps ($20 Krylon ultra flat camo (X3))
Removed Nerf Bars (Freebie)
Painted Vents black (Freebie)
Painted Speaker Grills black (Freebie)
Cobra 12 band (Freebie)
Magellen Roadmate 1200 ($170)
Fog Light Mod (Freebie)
Brown Wire Mod (Freebie)
8000k Bi-xenon HID's (110 shipped)
Custom Intake ($70)
Fuel Rail Magnets ( $30)
Tornado ($8.95)(Don't flame... willing to try anything to get more out of this poor ex)
Throttle Body Screws dremeled down (Freebie)
Shift Glow Digital vacuum Gauge ($65)
8k HID 800 series ($60 w/ shipping)
Blue/Red LED bars w/ Controller (23.99 w/ shipping)
desert bar w/ hella ($125) from Joshuaj
2 inch lift shackles ($20) From joshuaj
Sony explod 600w peak box ($130)
black out Headlights ($80) 410Fortune
dual xdvd8183 ($320)
Transmission Rebuilt with Trans-go Shift kit ($1300)
Transfer Case ($250)
Krylon bed liner X6 ($45)
Expedition Tow Hooks X2 ($20)

Current Total: $10,575.93

Repairs from 2 deer: $125(thank you E-bay)

As She sits now
DSC00620.jpg

Intake
Intake.jpg

Blacked Vents
Ventsdrying.jpg

installed
BlackVents.jpg

Black Speaker Grills
BlackSpeakergrills.jpg

LED's
Cupholders.jpg

Puddlelightsnighttime.jpg

Hit 107,000 over the weekend, still running strong
SpeedoCluster.jpg

Sound System
HeadUnit.jpg

Subbox.jpg

Amp.jpg

And the HIDs
DSC00340.jpg

Future Plans

4dr springs + helper springs
TT + either bulging the fenders or buying fiberglass fenders
v8 swap
Manual t-case
285s or 33s
98+ hatch conversion

Let me know what you think

You've all be very informative and helpful

Thanks,

Justin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Updates on the truck:

I need a new Passenger side CV axle, (long side?) and a drivers side wheel bearing, so i need to replace the hub. Currently my truck is sitting dead, so i need to purchase a new battery, it has a habit of dying while i'm away from school, it works fine while I'm driving it home on break everyday, but when it sits for longer then two or three weeks the battery always dies. So I'm going to be getting an optima, not sure whether Red, Yellow, or Blue (http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=262764) And i may need a IAC, but i'm going to see if the battery is the problem first.

I have a set of passenger side 4dr springs on the side at the junkyard waiting to be picked up those were 100 dollars.

Justin

EDIT: My parents needed my truck over the break, so they installed a battery for me that i had to buy... ??? so i now have a Diehard Gold. Should be good for a long time.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

nice build up you've got here! sucks about your rust, i just pulled my plastic trim pieces off my 03 sport and had some sweet rust starting to show up. I like the look as well without the plastic, but i'm thinking i'm going to fix up the rust myself and paint the moldings black and put em back on to cover my sweet body work ;-)

have you made any more progress with yours?

Very nice ride you have, and great progress...
Ive been reading so much on here about everyone deciding to pop theyre running boards/rockers off, and find a horror show of rust, and im scared to death to even think about doing mine, but then again, I could get my shop teacher to weld it for free or DIRT ass cheap, so idk lol

thank you guys for the interest. Well as far as progress. i haven't made much on the rust. i'm kinda letting it sit. i covered it with the paint and it's chilling for right now. over the summer i will try cutting it out and welding new plates in. As for other progress i've made, i removed the lower valence and moved my fog lights into the bumper by mounting them from the top of the bumper as opposed to the bottom. I'll be posting that up as soon as i get my computer back instead of having to use my parents for short spurts.

this winter's concentration has been mainly the sound system. i have to post videos when i finish the install. should be fun.

Justin

New kinda fog light mod (adaptation from Vroomzoomboom)

I was over a friends house, and we didn't have anything to do. this is very dangerous haha. I decided that I was going to increase my offroad ability by increasing my approach angle. this required moving my fog lights somewhere, and removing the crappy plastic valence.

bumper removed
0107002144a.jpg

Then we set everything up to start deciding where to put it.
0107002144.jpg

Then we mocked up where they should go, we decided that the best possible place for them was to take them and move them up to the top fold in the bumper as opposed to the bottom fold like it is stock, effectively moving it... about 3 inches up.
0107002211.jpg

0107002211a.jpg

I then used my amazing measuring device to draw on the back of the bumper where i was going to cut into my bumper with the angle grinder i had just purchased.

0107002328.jpg

and here are the results of my labors, i think it came out fairly well, i need to get a better picture during the day but i'll update that after i finish the body work
0107002347.jpg

0107002325.jpg

0108001117.jpg

My current problem is that they are so far recessed into the bumper that they do not throw as much light as they did when they were in the stock position. I need to extend them forward, any ideas?

Looks good man, I was thinking of doing the same thing to my 96 putting my small fogs inside the bumper, and with the piece cut out weld that up and use it as part of the mounting bracket.

halfway finished painting my trim... it kinda sucks because it looks so good, but i'll have to wait til i'm home for the summer probably... anyway here's the drivers side. I also Bedlined my rims. i think it came out very good. :feedback:

Attachments

• 0208001232.jpg
    0208001232.jpg
    152.2 KB · Views: 346

Personally I like the rims in black but I wouldnt have used the bedliner. It is a PITA to clean and I dont think it holds up the greatest. Thats just my opinion and you know what they say bout them!

I have already thrown some rocks at them, they hold up pretty well.. so i think i made a good choice on the bedliner. I had to remove The chrome plate that they put on from the factory. That was an adventure, and underneath that there was a LOT of rust. Seems to be a common theme in my truck. In any case, once the cover was pulled and the rust was dealt with they were given three coats and it seems to be holding up really well. How've you and your truck been, i haven't seen you around campus at all lately

Sound System, (No pictures ;-/)

I completely finished my sound system. I'm happy with how everything sounds. here's the set up

Head Unit:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9835_Dual+XDVD8183.html

Speakers:
Front: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11133_Pioneer+TS-A6882R.html
Rear: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11132_Pioneer+TS-A6872R.html

Amps:
Speakers: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11792_Kenwood+KAC-6404.html
Sub: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11550_Kicker+08ZX500.1.html

Sub:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_7779_Kicker+06VS12L52+-+VS12L5+2+ohms+-.html

Wiring kit that i started out with:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_18411_Metra+The+InstallBay+AK01.html
But is sucked. So i upgraded my power wire to KnuKonceptz

Main Power Wire
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KLMX0BL

Power from the splitter to the amps
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KFX4BL

And the Ground
http://www.knukonceptz.com/productDetail.cfm?prodID=KFX4BK

I was getting alternator interference because i originally had both amps grounded to the seatbelt bolts, but i routed them through grommet in the back to the frame and now it's good. but i'm gonna have to upgrade my engine to frame and frame to battery again.

I'll try to remember to take pictures of the setup when i go home first week of march.

Justin

I have already thrown some rocks at them, they hold up pretty well.. so i think i made a good choice on the bedliner. I had to remove The chrome plate that they put on from the factory. That was an adventure, and underneath that there was a LOT of rust. Seems to be a common theme in my truck. In any case, once the cover was pulled and the rust was dealt with they were given three coats and it seems to be holding up really well. How've you and your truck been, i haven't seen you around campus at all lately

thats cool! good luck with it. truck is still running, however it needs a new front diff! I dont get down there anymore since kelsey and i seperated. No need to go to campus!

thats cool! good luck with it. truck is still running, however it needs a new front diff! I dont get down there anymore since kelsey and i seperated. No need to go to campus!

What's up with the front diff? making noise? or not working correctly?

looking good I like that pre runner style bar!

Nice man...I cant believe those are only 8000k headlights!? Mine are 10,000k and not even half that blue lol.

What bulb did you get for your fogs? I keep putting off ordering a set because im not 100% sure on what fog bulb I need..

Brian -- Well if you're planning on getting the 99+ bumper then i would wait. because the bulbs are different. but If you're planning on keeping that front end you need a 880 series, i'm debating on trying the 55 watt as the square housings are glass and metal.

And if you're talking about the day time picture, i didn't realize they were that blue until after i posted that picture up here, i'm sure if you took a picture during the day, yours would look about the same.

Super_Swamper98 -- Thanks for the compliment, I love this bar, it has really tied the front end in, if i can get the stance wider i think it'll complete the look. I'm not entirely sure, but i believe it's from a toyota :crazy: If you wanted to know more about it, you could as joshuaj0214, i bought the bar off of him. The Hella lights currently on there are a new set because the wiring broke on the other set, so i think i may convert those to HID and mount them on the bar as well.

Justin

that thing is looking good, Justin! All you need now is some fiberglass fenders and quarterpanels and some bigger tires and that prerunner bar will look right at home!

That's a real nice looking Explorer. Nice job. Wish mine looked like that.

that thing is looking good, Justin! All you need now is some fiberglass fenders and quarterpanels and some bigger tires and that prerunner bar will look right at home!

I'm pretty sure there won't be any fiberglass on this truck as I would find a way to destroy it haha. But there will be bigger tires on there hopefully be the end of the summer depending on money with a tt and 4door leaves thanks for the kind words

1997_4.0xlt it's been a long time coming and I've been doing mainly daily driver mods but I don't think it matters much anymore so I'm making it more offroad worthy find out what you like and go for it

Justin

Super_Swamper98 -- Thanks for the compliment, I love this bar, it has really tied the front end in, if i can get the stance wider i think it'll complete the look. I'm not entirely sure, but i believe it's from a toyota :crazy: If you wanted to know more about it, you could as joshuaj0214, i bought the bar off of him. The Hella lights currently on there are a new set because the wiring broke on the other set, so i think i may convert those to HID and mount them on the bar as well.

Justin

Yea It really sets it off! I found one online I think imgoing to pickup its for a 95-96 but im shure it will work. http://www.offroadwarehouse.com/products/sfID1/61/sfID2/278/sfID3/17/productID/3717

Back