• Register Today It's free!

jvc double din install

justinf89

Reaction score
City, State
Hampton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 xlt 4x4
Ok well I've decided I want to get a new head unit for my ex since the cd changer in the console just crapped out. I think I'm going to go with the jvc KW-HDR720 but I have a question on the double din thing. I just want to make sure it will fit properly before I go buying things. The only modifying I have to do is to the outer dash bezel right? If the only mods are to the bezel, that's fine with me. I just don't want to have to actually make the hole in the dash bigger haha. The unit from crutchfield comes with dd mounting brackets so I guess that's all I need? Thanks guys for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With my pioneer head unit no dvd player or anything I just bought a din cage and the plastic adapter you can get from advance and it just slides in where the stock head was. I don't think 97s and 98s are different. But I had to do no modifications the either bezel to get it to work.

Dont forget the wiring harness to connect from jvc to expy. Should be about 10$. Check out metra to find part number.

I did a double din in my 2001 ranger. The stock opening should be slightly bigger but if your ordering from crutchfield they will send you everything you need for the install. Good luck.

Thanks guys, I think I'll call up crutchfield and order it monday. Their tech support is usually pretty good. I'll be sure to ask about the wire harness adapter since my ex has the premium(non jbl) sound. I guess that means I have an amp?

In the rear hatch, there's two horizontal vents toward the bottom, are those for speakers or subs?

Thanks guys, I think I'll call up crutchfield and order it monday. Their tech support is usually pretty good. I'll be sure to ask about the wire harness adapter since my ex has the premium(non jbl) sound. I guess that means I have an amp?

In the rear hatch, there's two horizontal vents toward the bottom, are those for speakers or subs?

There's no speakers in the rear hatch. You may have a factory sub in the rear passenger side compartment however.

Cant stand crutchfield. .. Well let me be more specific... I hate their prices. They are great though, customer service warranty etc... But just paying full price for alot of stuff i know i can get for sometimes half of what they have is just something i cannot justify, to myself or my bank account. but again to each his own.

At least Crutchfield is not saying that the double din radios don't fit the Explorer anymore...Years ago they still claimed that if a radio was not a perfect fit it didn't and they would not sell it to you...

Good luck on that unit...It looks really good and I bet it sounds fantastic!!!

Back