K & N causing problems, need input.... | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N causing problems, need input....

Called the ford guys. It seems to be a built in rev limitter when in neutral or park.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The rev limiter is correct. Ford started putting them (the N/P limiter) on the Explorer in either 2000 or 2001. My '97 will rev all the way to 6000 RPM in N and P. I've read other reports from people with later models that wouldn't go past 3000 in P or N.

how do you like your chip?

I like my chip. Unfortunately, I miss it big time right now. My engine developed a ping last summer and I want'ed to eliminate the possiblity of it being related to the chip so I removed it. After a couple of tanks of gas the pinging came back, but then our gas prices went up to over $2 a gallon for unleaded so I haven't put the chip back in. Once gas prices go back down to where they should be I'll put the chip back in.

rough idle

Its seems I have found the problem, plug wires, replaced them yesterday seems to idle fine now.........

rough idle

I was wrong, it seems that when I first start the car it stills has a rough idle, or like a slight miss to the idle. After I drive for awhile it seems to idle almost perfect but not 100%, maybe 85-90%. I have a question on the 00m12 recall. Is it up to the dealer to decide or if I take it in and ask for it to be done do they have to do it? What now?????

mhochman said:
I have a question on the 00m12 recall. Is it up to the dealer to decide or if I take it in and ask for it to be done do they have to do it? What now?????

I believe that it is considered to be a "service campaign" rather than a "recall", so it is up to you to ask them to fix it.

It seems like your rough idle goes away when the engine is warm which fits in with the scenario of a vacuum leak when cold (upper intake gasket leak).

rough idle

Thanks for the quick reply. When I call the dealer and they run my VIN # they mention nothing about the 00m12. But they do mention the other TSB which was the speed control cable and a seat bolt. When I put my VIN # into Alldata.com it comes back with the 00m12.

The thing you have to keep in mind with Ford is, ultimately, they aren't going to fix anything they don't have to. There may be a specific VIN range that Ford is Specifically targetting with the recall, but if you give them the recall number, they will replace it.

That's what I've found with Ford, you have to come to them with the TSB number to get anything done.

On my Explorer, there's a problem with the gas pedal mount where the spot welds give out. I had to go to the Parts guy to get him to print me out the "Official" Instructions from Ford on how to fix the problem (So it matched warranty specs). The service department told me that no such thing existed even when I gave them the number, but mysteriously, the parts guy sitting two counters down had no problem finding it and printing it for me.

You've gotta treat them like babies sometimes and spoon feed them everything (sorry if you sense the tension, if I didn't have a Ford Extended Warranty, I wouldn't ever deal with them).

I'm not sure which model years are covered by 00M12. I know that the early SOHC's (97) were covered, but they may have a cutoff for the later models. Robert would know this because he had it done on his truck.

dogfriend-
There's 2 different recalls. One is for the '97 up 4.0 SOHC's. This is for the primary timing chain (similar problem). The second one is for '01 up 4.0 SOHC's. This is for the secondary timing chain cassette.

So, basically, they fixed one problem just to replace it with another... I love Ford but sometimes they even baffle me.

Every solution creates new problems. ;)

rough idle

do you the printed info with my vin# from Alldata has any weight at the dealer?

sorry,
do you think....

From Ford's letter to the dealer regarding ONP 00M12:
"AFFECTED VEHICLES:

1) Certain 1997 through 2000 Explorer and Mountaineer vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC engines built at the Louisville Assembly Plant and St. Louis Assembly Plants from Job #1, 1997 through April 7, 2000.

2) Certain 2001 Explorer Sport and Sport-Trac vehicles equipped with 4.0L SOHC engines built at the Louisville Assembly Pant from Job #1 through April 7, 2000."

Back