K&N Cold Air Intake System | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Cold Air Intake System

Reaction score
City, State
Aurora, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer xls
Sorry if this is something that has been posted before, I'm new here!!

Well fellas I got my Flowmaster Cat system and Gibson exhaust installed on my xls 4.0. Thank God my buddy's nabe had a lift, I don't think we would have been able to properly get the system installed without it. Although the system sounds great on the outside, I am still getting used to it inside but I did notice a bit of extra power.

My question is regarding the K&N cold air intake system, I have heard that some vehicles really do not like them and depending it can actually affect the mpg in a bad way.

What are your guys opinions on these kits with 2002 4.0 and is it really worth it?

Thanks,

Merlin

Unless you block it off, "cold air intakes" will suck hotter air than your factory intake. If you block it off and avoid this you would still need a tune to get the small advantage of a maybe 10hp increase. Its really pointless to spend a decent amount of money on an intake just to have it perform worse than your factory intake thats already blocked off and tuned for your specific vehicle. Also, you have a higher chance of hydro-locking your engine in mud with an exposed intake. However, some people think they make they make their cars faster, but that is probably more likely due to it being louder, so it makes you think you're moving faster.

Unless you block it off, "cold air intakes" will suck hotter air than your factory intake. If you block it off and avoid this you would still need a tune to get the small advantage of a maybe 10hp increase. Its really pointless to spend a decent amount of money on an intake just to have it perform worse than your factory intake thats already blocked off and tuned for your specific vehicle. Also, you have a higher chance of hydro-locking your engine in mud with an exposed intake. However, some people think they make they make their cars faster, but that is probably more likely due to it being louder, so it makes you think you're moving faster.

Thanks for the reply!

One other thing that I found is that I may risk fouling up the MAF sensor if the filter is not maintained properly. As tempting as it is I cannot justify spending around $350 dollars for a system that is only going to potentailly cause problems. I have no intention of taking my vehicle on off road trips, I just want it to run solid and improve it where needed.

Thanks Again,

Merlin

Back