K&N Filter or Performance Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Filter or Performance Intake

2010Adrenalin

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Sport Trac Adrenalin
I just bought a 2010 Sport Trac and i was wondering if anyone knew of any performance intakes on the market. I found one from KKM http://www.kustomz.com/054004.html but couldnt find much for my 4L V6. I just traded my Mustang GT for my 2010 Adrenalin so i am use to there being a different performance intake for everyday of the year. :eek: Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a drop-in K&N on my 4.0 ST - it definitely improved/strengthened the intake noise and maybe a bit better throttle response, but that could've been just my perception.

I wouldn't recommend the KKM kit as it opens up your intake to heat from the engine. The ST's intake design is actually really nice compared to many other vehicles. The slotted plastic on the pass. side about level with the Ford badge is where the air goes into a short pipe and into the airbox (my new 2011 Forester practically sucks air through a bent straw).
One member here on EF nicely modified his KKM intake though.

You could cut up the plastic slats and replace them with just some metal mesh (you wouldn't want nothing - bugs would end up in there. I actually found a dragonfly in my airbox once despite me not messing with the slats at all). In the thread linked, you can see in the last photo where they cut up the plastic slats.

Tony Morana Racing makes some fanciness for the 4.0 if you really want to spend some money.

Overall, I'd say K&N drop-in for fun intake sound and maybe some minor performance gains, a Superchips tuner if you just want notable performance gains and then Tony Morana or similar if you want to go all out.

Thanks FLOFFroad. I think i will just probably make things easy and pick up a K&N filter this weekend. Cheaper than the KKM and quick install. I will look into the superchip tuner as well. :D

you can get a spectre filter for $13.. and its just like the k&n in every way

That was a nice set up using the stock airbox :thumbsup: I went ahead today and got the spectre air filter. I can definitely feel a difference. Just feels like it breathes better.

Back