Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Keeps Jumping Timing

Discussion in '2001-2005 Explorer Sport Trac' started by Lighthouse66, July 11, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. Lighthouse66

Lighthouse66 New Member

City, State:
      Hagerstown MD
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2004 Explorer Sport trac
      `04 Sport Trac 4.0 SOHC

Has anyone a clue what might cause timing to keep jumping? I rebuilt the motor with all new parts. The only item that I am now questioning is the left timing chain casette. It was very tight and hard to move back and forth. I worked it a little and it seemed like it loosened up some, but I installed it thinking it would loosen up with time while running.

From the initial rebuild, it started up a few times. Then all it would do is crank. When I pulled the covers and checked the timing, it was off. So I re-timed it, put everything back together and after a couple cranks, it went back out of time.

I guess the next step is to re-time it and look at the chains while it is cranking to see if I can see where or why it is jumping out of time.

Any thoughts?
      Thank You

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. 1AJeremyD

1AJeremyD Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mass
      95 XLT 4.0
      I would have to agree with something not holding the chain correctly. If it is getting hard and soft on you then it is obviously doing this at 1500 RPM when the engine cranks over. Do what you said by looking at the cassettes and if it does it again grab another kit or just the cassettes. Let us know how it all goes!

4. Lighthouse66

Lighthouse66 New Member

City, State:
      Hagerstown MD
      2004 Explorer Sport trac
      After looking at the timing chains, while hand cranking the engine, the left side does seem to be not working properly. The chain guides do not move at all. I will be replacing the left side timing chain cassette and see how it runs after that.

5. Lighthouse66

Lighthouse66 New Member

City, State:
      Hagerstown MD
      2004 Explorer Sport trac
      Fixed It

After taking the front timing chain cover off, I seen that the Chain tensioner was destroyed.

It was due to the fact that the Left Timing Chain Cassette was bad.

Lesson learned for myself: never go with an aftermarket part for an internal engine replacement.

Replaced: Left Timing Chain Cassette, Main Timing Chain, Main Chain Tensioner and runs perfect.

6. 1AJeremyD

1AJeremyD Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Mass
      95 XLT 4.0
      Doesn't sounds like it was fun. Glad ya got it all replaced. Who was the company that you purchased the kit from? Did they offer any new part for you under a warranty?

7. Lighthouse66

Lighthouse66 New Member

City, State:
      Hagerstown MD
      2004 Explorer Sport trac
      I got a engine rebuild kit that included the 4 timing chains, tensioners and guides from Advanced Auto. Where they sourced the parts from, I'm not sure. They did offer a 30 day warrenty, but by the time I got around to repairing it and realized the part was actually defective, it was well over that. So huge lesson learned for me.