Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

key will start expl. but won't open door lock ??

Discussion in 'Stock 2002 - 2005 Explorers' started by 99!fxdwg, July 17, 2011.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. 99!fxdwg

99!fxdwg New Member

City, State:
      Somerset, Wisconsin
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 Explorer XLT
      Bought this 2003 explorer and since we have owned it I've never been able to get the key to open the door lock. have 2 key both act the same. They start the vehicle fine, but we have to use the remote (which we only have one of) to open the doors.

ANy help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. da2962

da2962 Member

City, State:
      Norwalk, CT
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2003 4.0 XLT
      Could be as simple as a stuck tumbler. Try lubricating the lock (a little WD40) sprayed into the keyhole. Then work the key in and out a couple of times to distribute the lube. If this dosen't work you might have to pull the lock and take it to a locksmith to be re-built. Its not too expensive to do this depending on your area (I'm a locksmith and charge between $25 and $35 for this service if the customer pulls the lock from the vehicle) I'm assuming the key dosen't even turn in the lock. If the key turns but dosen't unlock the door, then the rod attached to the lock is disconnected. If this is the case pull the door panel and reattach the locking rod.