Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Keyfob hard to open truck?

Discussion in '2007 - 2010 Explorer Sport Trac' started by outatime, February 19, 2018.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. outatime

outatime New Member

City, State:
      davenport florida
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      2007 sport trac
      Hi again

Not sure if this is a common issue but I own a 2007 Sport Trac V8 Ltd and for about a year I have issues locking and unlocking the truck. Unless I stand with the keyfob pushed up against or near the window I can't open the truck. Of course first thing I did was change the batteries but no difference and its not a bad fob as I then went to my spare and the exact same issue. Strange one.

Anyone ever had this before?

Thanks

Stuart

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. mrcube07

mrcube07 New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2007 explorer sport trac
      Mine has a hard time unlocking in my parking garage if there is a lot of interference, such as other cars ect. Try to go to an auto parts store and test the fobs JUST to be sure, there should be a testing station right by the counter. Maybe try testing it in an open parking lot. Dose the panic alarm do the same thing? Sorry if I cant be much help :/ these are just things off the top of my head.

4. rmcalis

rmcalis Active Member

City, State:
      Collinsville, OK
      2016 Platinum; 2010 STA
      Coincidentally, just last night I tested the range of my fob (I occasionally do this to check my battery) . I was in a grocery store parking lot and was able to open the doors at about 60 paces (close to 180 feet). I could tell when the doors unlocked by the cargo lights on the cab.

5. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Busted antenna wire on the receiver or something. I can unlock mine half way across the parking lot at work.

6. mrcube07

mrcube07 New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2007 explorer sport trac
      That could also be a possibility, on my old bronco there was an antenna wire that if you unplugged it. The truck would be hard to unlock, with the sport tracs, I don't think that there is a replaceable antenna. Meaning it COULD be the smart junction box. Now I'm not saying that this is it, it is only a possibility, I personally never seen a SJB antenna only fail I would test the remotes 100% before replacing the 200+ dollar box of course. Do you have a keypad? If so does the keypad work fine?

7. Tike

Tike Active Member

City, State:
      Greater Philadelphia
      08 Ford Sport Trac XLT
      smart junction boxes are burried in the dash. dealer charges 550+ to replace and configure. could do it your self no problem over a weekend. just need to get it configured at a dealer. it will change your master key pad code entry if u have one.

can send u instructions if u want.

8. mrcube07

mrcube07 New Member

City, State:
      Chicago
      2007 explorer sport trac
      So I found out that the antenna that the SJB uses is the same for the radio! try changing the radio antenna out AND MAKE SURE there is not bluetooth adapters near the truck that will cause your issue. Some one had a bluetooth adapter in his truck and you would only be able to unlock it 5 inches from the truck with it plugged in. If he unplugged it, the truck would unlock from like 100+ feet away. Try those before spending 550+ ;)

9. Tike

Tike Active Member

City, State:
      Greater Philadelphia
      08 Ford Sport Trac XLT

Do you happen to know the Freqeuncy of the FOBs? that could help when buying Bluetooth products! i have Bluetooth and wifi radio no issues, now im curious

10. Tech By Trade

Tech By Trade Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Your mom's house
      07 Sport Trac
      Just checked on my agilent E4442A PSA on my work bench. the unlock and lock pulses are at 314.25 MHZ.

• Thanks Thanks x 1