Keyless entry and keypad on '95 Limited ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry and keypad on '95 Limited ?

stilbo

Reaction score
City, State
Bloomington, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 XL Base
I've done a little searching on the site for specific info and will search some more, but does anybody know about getting the codes for the keyless entry touchpads?
Also how can I find out if my Limited is equiped for remote controled locks?
I bought it used and just got one key.....

I went to local dealership and asked about the codes for the touch pad and the service manger looked either way then told me in hushed tones to "look on top ove the rear computer housing in the rear cargo area" like he was afraid someone would over hear him.

I checked the rear computer and also the entire area inside the access panel and didn't see any numbers.

As always,
Very grateful for yer help.

Stilbo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's back there. Check the rear jack compartment real well, there is a black or gray box in there with a sticker on it. On that sticker, there will be a 5 digit code. It may take a flashlight and inspection mirror to find, but it is there.
I am not sure on the remotes.

Robb

If you have a keypad I think you have to have keyless entry as well.

As for the code.. mine is in the jack compartment but waaaay north of the door. You gotta look pretty far up and use a flashlight.

yes-it's in the jack compartment as stated above and is a pretty tough 5-digit number to read it's small-plus it's dark back there so as stated above use a flashlight. As for the remote-i bought one from Ford during summer and it cost me 62$-they programmed it for me.

Robb and S525,

Thanks guys!

The only time I looked I was in a hurry cause the service manager dude seemed like he was either freaking out or giving out top secret info (at no charge).

I'm going out to the garage right now and get the halogen flashlight out.

Still would be cool if I could get a remote from Ford...

Oh yeh...

My Limited is a '96!

Thanks again!

Stilbo

Thanks White96x,

Just knowing that Ford makes them available (and why wouldn't they at $62.00?) helps.

I guess that they just use the VIN to find the codes?

ya i'm pretty positive they use the VIN numbers to get the codes.

While I'm here.....

white96x,

Noticed that you have Flowmaster dual set up w/o delta...

How you like that set up?

Make a big difference?

well i haven't heard an explorer with a delta-the only difference that the guy who installed my mufflers said that the interior noise level is greater with a non-delta rather than a delta. but ya i love my exhaust-sometimes i'll even turn down my radio just to listen to it!

stilbo, you can get the remotes on eBay much cheaper.

Robb

My '91 Sport is like my '71 Harley....

I like the sound of the mechanicals and a nice amount of exhaust music so I don't have a radio in either one!
I DO want to be kind to the public's ears so straight pipes on the '91 are out. I did try it for a week (hey I'm RURAL) and I felt like I was invading the planet with a loud snarley 4x4 alien scout craft.

Thanks also for the Ebay availablity of the remote! How do dey program them?

THANKS!

to program the remote-while inside the car you have to hit lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock, lock, unlock then press and hold either lock or unlock on the remote thats how the guy at ford did it and it took him like 5 seconds-he made it look pretty simple.

Actually I think you have to cycle the ignition something like 6 or 8 times (until the locks automatically lock) all within 10 seconds. When you hear the locks lock.. hit the lock or unlock button on the remote. Thats it. But you can do a search on here for the exact amount of ign. cycles.

Backlight on keypad

My X's keypad didn't light up when I bought it and the dealer didn't know if is was suppose to.

At home I pressed on it hard once and it light up. Hasn't lit up since?

Anyone have a fix???

I have a 95 limited , and if you r looking fot the code its definitly in the jack area, hard to find but its there, as for the remote yes your x has the ability to have a remote,,,( buy it at ebay alot cheaper then dealer approx $20) . Your keypad should light up when you press any key on it...and it lights up you inside lights too.

hey man i had the same problem with my keypad code and trying to find it. i looked everywhere for days in that compartment and i mean everywhere. finally i went to the dealer and they hooked it up to the machine to read the code. they charged me like 30 bucks. by the way the instructions for programming the keyless entry remotes is right in the owners guide. it tells you the whole process. it should be under the securilock section. it is really easy to program.

by the way i also called fords customer number for it there. i used the vin thing but then they said that they can only give the code out to a registered dealer with their dealer authorization code. blah blah blah blah. and whatnot. go figure. but it was worth the 30 bucks because now i can never lock my keys in my car.

Originally posted by rocket 5979
hey man i had the same problem with my keypad code and trying to find it. i looked everywhere for days in that compartment and i mean everywhere. finally i went to the dealer and they hooked it up to the machine to read the code. they charged me like 30 bucks. by the way the instructions for programming the keyless entry remotes is right in the owners guide. it tells you the whole process. it should be under the securilock section. it is really easy to program.

Ford didn't put the procedure in the Owner's Guide until they came out with Securilock. It is not in the '95-'97 Explorer Owner's Guides. Ford also puts some procedures in the Owner's Guide one year only to take it back out the next. I have came across several different procdures during the year that at one time or another found their way into a certain year's Owner's Guide however they weren't in my '97s. Some of the procedures are:

1) press 3 & 5 on the radio to disable rear seat radio controls
2) press 3 & 6 on the radio to do a speaker test
3) procedure to adjust the sensativity of the electrochromatic mirror
4) location of the key pad code
5) procedure to program key fobs.
6) procedure to adjust the programable interval wiper speed.

section525 was right about the programming you have to turn the key while in the ignition 5 times until the doors lock and unlock automatically then press and hold either lock or unlock on the remote and that is how it is programmed- sorry- thanks for catching that, Section!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is correct remotes on ebay cheap.
I just bought one for my X cost was 13.00 or so for a new one with the programing sheet.
BTW if any one needs a copy of the sheet (covers all models and years from 1992-2000 let me know.
Ed

If your question is in regards to my remote the answer is yes, alarm, panic, all work and if you push the button once it works only the drivers door push it again and all doors lock/unlock.

Back