Keyless Entry/Keyless Start Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry/Keyless Start Issues

drewsky121

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited 2WD
I've searched the web/google for my specific issue but I'm not having any luck and people keep directing me to do things that are irrelevant to the problem, so I turned here.

My wife and I both have a keyfob for our 2013 Explorer Limited and have owned the vehicle now for about 2.5 years. This issue has been getting progressively worse over the past 1-1.5 years. Our key fobs are just not being recognized. We have swapped out batteries but no improvement. Over the past year, we just have to keep getting closer and closer to the car in order for it to unlock/lock; we have to hit the buttons a million times for it to work or function. Half the time, the car doesn't recognize the key fob with it being in the vehicle, and sometimes, we would have to put it in the pocket of the arm rest to start it. Now, it seems to have continued to degrade, and it has reached the point where we have to remove the actual key from the fob to unlock the door and always stick it in the pocket to start. Sometimes we get lucky and if we put the key fob right next to the handle, we can do the auto unlock but that is rare now.

Both keyfobs act the exact same way. I am hoping that someone here has experienced this before and can help me with finding what I need. Is there a specific part that looks for/receives the keyfob signals that we can replace? Is it a keyfob issue or a car issue? Any help would be great. Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you by any chance have a charger or other item plugged in? They have been known to cause such issues. Are there any issues with locking/unlocking the doors using the touchpad on the handle or using the Securicode keyless entry pad? Has the vehicle battery been checked?

Peter

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
Do you by any chance have a charger or other item plugged in? They have been known to cause such issues. Are there any issues with locking/unlocking the doors using the touchpad on the handle or using the Securicode keyless entry pad? Has the vehicle battery been checked?

Peter

We have never used the touchpad because we were never sure how to reset it. We never knew the original combo when we bought it new. The button that is on the handle of the door is having a hard time working as well and often times, it does not. Would that be back to a key fob issue? Battery is two years old.

?
We have never used the touchpad because we were never sure how to reset it. We never knew the original combo when we bought it new. The button that is on the handle of the door is having a hard time working as well and often times, it does not. Would that be back to a key fob issue? Battery is two years old.
You should have been provided with the door code at the time of sale. In some cases it was in the glovebox or Owner's Manual. For the original code check this post; Factory Door Code (Securicode)
Does the "hard time working" apply to both handle buttons? It is difficult to say if that and the fob issue are related without knowing what the actual problem is.
I'm guessing that you don't have anything in the vehicle that is plugged in. If you have remote start and/or power liftgate, do they work?

Peter

Does your FOB have one or two batteries? The second battery is underneath the circuit board. It is that way on 2016 with IA. Check your owners manual regarding battery replacement for the FOB. Also check your vehicle's battery. If it's still original have it tested to make sure it is up to snuff. With so much electronics in the modern car a drop in voltage can cause the gremlins to play.

Back