• Register Today It's free!

keyless entry problems

taderz

Reaction score
City, State
frostburg, maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 2dr sport
i have a 93 explorer sport i recently purchased this vehicle and was told the previous owners had lost the keyless entry remote, so i purchased one on the web that supposidly came with instructions on how to program it. well needless to say they were inacurate. does anyone know how to program this bleaping thing. any help would be much appreciated thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1993 Explorer Sport - I don't believe keyless entry was available on the Sport. It was first available on the Limited in either 1993 or 1994, and then on the regular models with the Gen 2.

At least that's the story I've been told...

Cheers!

John

Here are the instructions from the manual, this is for a '93 Explorer:

Programming Transmitter(s)

To program (or re-program) transmitter(s) into the remote entry module, perform the following steps:

1. Turn ignition switch to ON or ON/ACCESSORY position and momentarily short the two terminals of the Program Connector (J4) (a two-pin connector taped to the wire assembly and accessed by removing the LH quarter access panel). All doors should lock then unlock. Remove shorting pin.

2. Press any button on transmitter. All doors should lock then unlock to verify the transmitter has been programmed.

NOTE:
If door locks do not respond, press button again (up to three times maximum with the same transmitter). If door locks still fail to respond, go to «Pinpoint Test F.»

3. Repeat Step 2 to program additional transmitters into the control module (up to four transmitters maximum).

4. Turn ignition OFF. All doors should lock then unlock.

5. Check operation.

NOTE:
The remote entry module erases all previous transmitters from memory when the transmitters are programmed or re-programmed. The remote entry module can store up to four transmitters in memory.

Also including this for the Program Module

Remote Entry Module Connectors

There are four connectors to the module: J1 (26-pin), J2 (16-pin), J3 (antenna), and J4 (program connector). Connectors J1, J2, and J4 have the pins laid out as shown here.

programconnector.jpg

Hope this helps! :)

thanks for the detailed info i will give this a try later this evening:D

Keyless was only available from the factory on 1st Gens in the Limited trim. It uses a completely different body harness since it's integrated with everything. Your system is probably either dealer installed (rare) or a aftermarket system.

Is there a black box under the dash that doesn't look like it belongs there? Looking at it will probably lead you to the correct manufacturer to get the remote...

hello I am in France j' have the same problem and j' have the same expliquation to give but I do not find both the wire has to connect temporarily of the programmer j4 if you have a photograph of programmer j4 or wire in order to be able to take it again

Does your sport have the auto headlamps and auto darkening inside mirror? If it does then you have the factory keyless entry that the ford fobs will work with.

It was an included in the power equipment group, that was optional on xlt and eddie bauer. At least in 94, however. Both my Limited and my 94 Eddie have the factory system. I can see a sport having been ordered with this system, since its the "XLT" 2-door. The factory control modules will be behind the jack cover.

Put the drivers window down and close all doors. Remove the jack cover and you will find a 2 wire plug that goes to nothing. Jumpering this plug with the ignition in run and all doors shut, will put the system into program mode. Push a button on the fob and the truck will lock and unlock all doors. You can program up to 4 remotes this way at the same time. Turn the ignition off and your remotes will be saved.

Back