Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Keyless entry (Securicode) pad fell off

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by jim lock, August 31, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. jim lock

jim lock New Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2007 eddie bauer
    I have a 3 month old 2014 ford explorer and while drive down the freeway i look out the rear view and the keyless entry panel is swinging in the breeze, banging on the side. I tried to snap it back in and put a crack in it. Eventually had to duct tape it. I did notice those panels do not seem very secure. Anyone else have this issue???????????
    Thanks Jim

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Do you still have the 2007 Eddie Bauer? If not, time to update profile or add the one to your signature.;) I don't recall anyone else have this issue with the Securicode keyless entry pad. A few have had them replaced because they weren't working but not because they actually came loose. That should be covered by your warranty so take it to the dealer.

Peter

4. adamjeeps

adamjeeps Member

2013 Lincoln MKT
    Many Flex owners have has this happen. Just take it in and the dealer will order you up a new one. I have had two black appliques on my MKT come loose but not the keypad and not all the way loose, just loose enough to where you could see it pulling away from the door.

5. kirstenb

kirstenb New Member

2014 explorer xlt
    No advice, just I'd be freaking out!! It seems well attached to the door. I guess that's until it isn't, lol. Anyway, wow, what a weird thing to happen. Hope you're able to get it fixed quickly.

6. JasonTell7

JasonTell7 New Member

City, State:
    Brandon, Fl
    2012 EXPLORER LIMITED
    Securicode

Anyone know where I can get the invisible securicode? Mine just flew off the vehicle while driving down the road :mad:

7. Halwg

Halwg Active Member

City, State:
    WV
    2018 Explorer Base 2.3L E
    Did the entire panel fly off the car? Time to visit your friendly local Ford Dealer.

8. cwescapexlt4x4

cwescapexlt4x4 Explorin' the Desert SW Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Litchfield Park, AZ area...
    2016 Explorer LTD (FWD)
    wow, it came off?

9. FordService

FordService Official Ford Rep

City, State:
    Dearborn, MI
    Hi JasonTell7,

Have you checked out the Ford Parts site? Here's a link: http://www.fordparts.com/ If you're having trouble tracking down what you need, you can click on the "Contact Us" link at the top of the page to chat live with our parts folks. You can always go to your local Ford Dealership as well. What's the current mileage on your Explorer?

Crystal

10. SHANNdaMAN

SHANNdaMAN New Member

City, State:
    Clarksville, TN
    2013 Interceptor Utility
    I entered the part number in one of my posts in This Thread. The panel is held on by 2 strips of double sided tape and 2 body panel pins. High temperature can cause the adhesive on the tape to de-bond and the body pins can work loose causing the panel to rattle or fall off.

11. Jim Norton

Jim Norton New Member

City, State:
    Madison
    2016 Explorer XLT
    Our 2016 Explorer has had the keyless entry panel fall off three times in 26 months. Each time it messes with the electrical system. We lose the power lift gate, keyless entry, the guide lines on the screen for backing and the cabin lights stay on long after you park it and start to drive it.

The dealer told me that he has never seen this. As the panel is only attached with double stick tape I found that hard to believe. Now, its back to the dealer for the third time to fix the flopping panel. Anybody else had their keyless entry panel fall off?

Jim Norton
    Huntsville, Alabama

12. Rainlord

Rainlord Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Zurich, Switzerland
    Explorer 2012 XLT
    A surprising number of things are attached with double sided tape and not much else, but from what I see on a picture from ebay, it's also attached with two clips:

[​IMG]

If it keeps coming off, a few dabs of black window sealant seems like it should do the job of keeping it in place. I saw some YouTube video on a guy putting on the A-pillar trims after changing the front window, and he mentions they fly off all the time, so he dabs a few clicks of sealant on them to make sure they don't.

13. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    That panel should not "fall off" if installed properly. If you have taken it to the same dealer 3 times and it has fallen off each time, I would strongly suggest asking for a different tech to do the install or going to a different dealer.

I would suggest not doing anything different from the standard install (no sealant or anything additional). If it breaks and needs to be replaced, it is going to be that much harder for the next guy and you could end up damaging something else using non-standard techniques (regardless of whether everyone else is doing it or not).

14. Jim Norton

Jim Norton New Member

City, State:
    Madison
    2016 Explorer XLT
    What looks like clips are actually mounting guides. The red strips of tape are the only method of securing.

Jim Norton
    Huntsville, Alabama

Last edited by a moderator: May 14, 2018
  15. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    Not sure what you are commenting on, but the part has 2 mounting guides and 2 clips in addition to the tape. The black posts above and below the white clips are the guides. The white clips are actually clips and do aid in securing the part to the door frame.

16. Tanya143

Tanya143 New Member

2015 Ford Explorer
    My keyless entry pad also came off while on the highway... amazing to me that this happens to so many people and Ford won’t take responsibility.

17. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Tanya.:wave:
    I don't think this is a common issue. Only 4 reports here of it coming off but I know there are a couple more in another thread.

Peter

18. Barbara S

Barbara S New Member

2017 Ford Explorer XLT
    I have a 2017 Ford Explorer XLT that I bought in August of 2016. I love it but, today was the second time that I had to replace the keyless entry panel because it keeps coming loose. I asked my dealer if I'm going to have to keep replacing it all the time and the reply was "I hope not, but we can't guarantee it. It's not the best design. It's only held on with two way tape." Umm ok .....

19. peterk9

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    Welcome to the Forum Barbara.:wave:
    Although a few members have had the issue, it doesn't seem to be a common one. Did you have to put a new one on or did they just reapply it? What I find curious is that some have had it happen 2 or 3 times.

Peter

Last edited: November 20, 2018
  20. Barbara S

Barbara S New Member

2017 Ford Explorer XLT
    Hi Peterk9, Both times they had to order the part so I assume it is a new one they have to put on. My code never changes so I asked about that and was told that the code is programmed to the vehicle and not the key pad. When the tape lets loose maybe they can’t reattach it so thy have to order a part. I had a loaner car for a couple days.

21. KayGee

KayGee Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Farmington, MI
    '16 & '17 PIU
    2 thoughts:

1. The dealer statement is asinine - I would find another dealer.

2. The design and mounting method is adequate, but not what I would expect for an OEM install - it is more reminiscent of how the aftermarket does installs. Nonetheless, if the area is prepped properly and the part is installed correctly, it should not be falling off. It has two mounting clips as well as the two large lengths of what should be high-quality 3M automotive tape.