Keypad code ignition starter!!! Please look | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keypad code ignition starter!!! Please look

Fatty explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Everett, wa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer XLT 5.0
i was watching the Transporter two movie where he gets in his car in the parking garage and punches in a code so he can start his car....and i began to think.....
what if i installed a keypad ignition in my X that would actually start the truck

Perfect for when you are on the trail and you hate hearing those dangling keys hitting the steering collum, and my not just put in a push button start like some of the guys on here.....SECURITY,

you have to have a 4 digit code, punch it in and the truck starts

ignitionswitch.jpg

cigarethardwire.jpg

keypadrear.jpg

keypadfront.jpg

keypadcover.jpg

cleanassinstall.jpg

tell me what you think

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thats pretty cool what did you use for the keypad

Ok, I have been working through different ideas for a "cool" and safe ignition for my rig and that wins hands down. Post up some specs and maybe some how to if you can! I was just gonna hide a toggle and a push button with another toggle elsewhere as a security. The keypad freakin ROCKS!

well i found a thread on here for wireing up a push button start and then went to this site and bought this

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/K6400

and then i had to completely build the circut board and assemble everything it wasnt that hard and i hooked up the wire lol...it was easy and effective

whats the code?

Not gonna lie, thats pretty f**kin sweet. Props.

Any more info that "it was easy and I wired it up" would be much appreciated. When you punch the code, does that start the truck or enable the truck to be started?

What circuit board did you have to build? I've got quite a bit of electronics experience but if I could avoid a little of the leg work, that would be great!

go to the Qkits website , i posted the link above, all i did was wire the two starter wires into the keypad and then used a positive wire and the keypad kit has the built in relay of 5 seconds , which is wired NO (normally open) , this is how easy it was,

i bought the kit, it came in the mail, i dumped out the box, read the instructions, built the keypad in 4 hours cause im slow and hooked the starter wires into it with a positive wire and the relay breaks the signal...im sure a 16 year old could do it

Sweet, thanks man. I thought you built and designed some circuit board that wasn't part of the keypad kit. I'm gonna get on this sometime... I love it.

kpsquared

Sweet, thanks man. I thought you built and designed some circuit board that wasn't part of the keypad kit. I'm gonna get on this sometime... I love it.

bro i love your x, i too have the 5.5 superlift and it doesnt seem as tall as yours, do you have a body lift, i saw one in a box in your pictures

Nope, never put my body lift on. Sold it when I realized I wouldn't need it for 35's. Still gotta get the rear up an inch or two. Maybe some F-150 leafs. It's gonna sink with gear.

im about to get a 3 inch body lift on top of the superlift SOA kit which i though was only 5.5, i like em tall, ......any sugestions

My first suggestion would be don't bother with the body lift. You can fit 35's with a little trimming in the front with the Superlift 5.5. If you must have a body lift, then Performace Accessories makes one. There are a few out the but they're all the same. Even 2" looks less rediculous than a 3". IMHO

well yeah i didnt want to mix the suspension with a body lift, dont wanna roll over, but then i was thinking a 2" front coil spacers and 2" blocks

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm not sure if the question was ever answered. Does this START your vehicle, or ALLOW your vehicle to be started? B/c one is way cooler than the other, imo.

I'd pick that kit up in a heartbeat if it starts your truck when you punch in your code.

Thanks for the info.

Nice work! Now I'm going to have to do the same thing, but I'd like to figure out how to wire a factory door keypad to do the same thing (not from the door, a second one in the dash).

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm not sure if the question was ever answered. Does this START your vehicle, or ALLOW your vehicle to be started? B/c one is way cooler than the other, imo.

I'd pick that kit up in a heartbeat if it starts your truck when you punch in your code.

Thanks for the info.

sorry it took a few years lol but yes it did start my vehicle when i punched in the code

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's cool. How secure is it? Couldn't I just take the ashtray out & yank the wires & then tie them together & start it?

Back