keypad enty 2002 explorer

clunger

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Bauer
hello all

i am new here. just got a 2002 eddie bauer 4X4 exlporer, 24K miles, in great shape.

unfortunately, the guys at carmax did not have the card with the keycode for the keypad entry.

i have found elsewhere on this site that it is on the computer module, and that on the 2002 the computer module is behind the C-column trim, next to the 2nd row seats.

i was hoping someone could tell me how to remove that trim without messing it up, and on which side the module is located (driver or pass).

any help would be appreciated.

thanks
clunger

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site.. Yeah you have to remove the seat belt and remove all the trim around the C pillar to get to it.. Someone also mentioned it was stamped somewhere under the steering column.. Do a search if you can find anything about it..

thanks for the welcome

i have done a search for this issue, and the only info i could find was that the number is on the computer module in the c-pillar beside the 2nd seat on the right side.

unfortunately it is not under the driver side dash/steering column.

my question is how do i get the trim off the c-pillar without breaking it? (is there a secret to removing the plastic pieces, how are they attached, etc.)

and, which side is the "right side". does that mean the passenger side or the driver side.

i will ultimately just get my ford dealer to look it up on the diagnostic computer at my next oil change if i can't find it myself, but i sure would like to save the $ and i am not due for an oil change for another 3K miles.

any help is appreciated.

clunger

Welcome to the site....The "right" side of a car is the passenger side.

The older explorers (95-01) had the code on the Driver side rear, but that might have changed for 2002.

Thanks...I believe our '00 number was located under the carpet inside the tailgate.

the 2nd gens were easy to get the code because it was in the rear driver side kick panel. With the 3rd gen the entire left kick panel is storage, and the right kick panel (like the 2nd gen) if for sub and amp.

I had the card on the '00....I found the owner on my '06 and got it. Tonight I got some info on my '04 Sport Trac on here. Patience and guess work saved removing the airbag. The suggestion to pop off the defroster vent panel and looking back through the windshield with a flashlight. Hard to read but got it one number at a try. Now it has my personal code in it. Great site for a multiple Explorer owner!

Thanks to all.

I got keys and a remote programmed at the Dealer here. I only got one key with this one so they were need to setup the others via the computer. They read the entry code off the computer while doing it. I have not see where it is located. Ford said it was on the computer when I registered it with them.

I got my '04 Sport Trac code from under the defroster panel from this site. Much easier than removing the airbag---hard to read but excellent advice!

thanks for the welcome

i have done a search for this issue, and the only info i could find was that the number is on the computer module in the c-pillar beside the 2nd seat on the right side.

unfortunately it is not under the driver side dash/steering column.

my question is how do i get the trim off the c-pillar without breaking it? (is there a secret to removing the plastic pieces, how are they attached, etc.)

and, which side is the "right side". does that mean the passenger side or the driver side.

i will ultimately just get my ford dealer to look it up on the diagnostic computer at my next oil change if i can't find it myself, but i sure would like to save the $ and i am not due for an oil change for another 3K miles.

any help is appreciated.

clunger

Hey clunger... The code is under the trim on the passenger side rear seat belt shoulder strap. The piece of trim connected to the seat belt pulls away from the bottom. Then I believe that it slides up off on the top (I've slept since I did this). Then pull the the bottom section loose from the top. You should see two modules inside the trim when you look down into it. The lower of the two will have a sticker on it with the code (five numbers). The trim will slide and pop back in with little problem. It's pretty tough trim, you shouldn't have any problem. Oh, one tip. I used a flash light so I wouldn't have to pull the lower piece of trim a long way to gather light.

Hope this helps.

Not to hi-jack but..

Where would the code be on a 02' Sport?....thanks

no luck here - it's on the module under the passenger side front airbag. You'll have to remove airbag to find it.

keyless entry

ah great info fellas. that was exactly what i was after. just pulled a bit harder on the trim and voila. good ol ford farm technology!

Hey clunger... The code is under the trim on the passenger side rear seat belt shoulder strap. The piece of trim connected to the seat belt pulls away from the bottom. Then I believe that it slides up off on the top (I've slept since I did this). Then pull the the bottom section loose from the top. You should see two modules inside the trim when you look down into it. The lower of the two will have a sticker on it with the code (five numbers). The trim will slide and pop back in with little problem. It's pretty tough trim, you shouldn't have any problem. Oh, one tip. I used a flash light so I wouldn't have to pull the lower piece of trim a long way to gather light.

Hope this helps.
THANKYOU facilitating later today. much appreciated.

Back