Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Kids speeding ticket Rant

Discussion in 'Exploring everything under the sun!!' started by spindlecone, October 21, 2004.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1. jared ajlouny

jared ajlouny Active Member

City, State:
    san jose, california
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    '95 XLT 4X4
    ill be your pool boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. general x

general x Hopeless addict Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Red Deer, Alberta
    91 Ford Explorer Sport
    Well im 17, i payed for half my explorer 3.5k divided by 2 :p i pay my own insurance and gas and cell phone....heck my parents dont pay for anything anymore but my cloths and the heat in my room. I havent gotten any tickets and i damn well know that i better not because A, dad would be pissed!. B, insurnace would increase from its 230 a month (canadian) for LIABILITY (Oh yeah! thats why im always broke)

In my opinion its a toss up with how she should be handled. If i got a ticket chances are i wouldnt know what to expect from my dad, He is letting go and not getting angry at me anymore for stupid things i do (not so often anymore) but he still must put his foot down where it counts. I know i dont think i could have been raised any better than i was and chances are there are many people who would beg to differ. My advice to you spindle is do what u do! its the only way you really know how

4. Stephen

Stephen Moderator In Memoriam Elite In Memoriam

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    But again, you're 17. Spindle's daughter is 19, she's an adult. Most young people her age are off in the world living on their own in dorms or in Apartments either attending college or working.

5. Ford_Racing_Guy

Ford_Racing_Guy Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Spencer, Wisconsin
    '92 XLT & '98 XLT AWD

can i sit there and pretend to read a national geograhic? it'll have 2 holes cut in the center :D

6. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ridley Park, PA
    1999 XLS R.I.P.
    Just cause a person is an adult does not always mean they are ready to take alot of responsibility on by themselves. When my sister was 19, my parents lifted their "Iron Fist" and let her be on her own at college. Not only did this cause her to fail out, but she also got into drugs, in trouble with the law, and other things. When this started happening my parents amde her move back home and laid down the law with their "Iron Fist" and she straightened out after a while. Last june she graduated widener with honors and a BA in accounting, which would have never happened if my parents had not enforced rules on her. She was not ready to be on her own at 19, so she got into trouble cause my parents were not their to enforce the law.

7. LOGJOCKY

LOGJOCKY Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Leduc, Alberta
    1994 EXPLORER XLT
    I got a ticket when i was 18, am now 22, and it was 22 over the limit. I had to pay it myself. worse yet it was in a company truck so i had the same amount taken from my paycheck so i payed double. This is legal because it was in my contract when i started and i signed it. It has been my 1st and last ticket. I have not slowed down at all instead i got a radar detector. It aint even on my record anymore.

8. Stephen

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    Critical-

Thats because of the "iron fist" method of parenting. Thats just what I did when I became an adult, she was rebelling against your parents thats why she behaved that way. That style of parenting doesn't foster a positive self image or build ideas of responsibility or maturity parenting books far and wide have discussed that. If you use a gradual motion transitioning the child from child to adult then you'll have less problems. Steps along the way, thats the ticket. Anyways we're not talking about total seperation here, its a speeding ticket she didn't go shoot the pope.

Your sister's case is not typical. Thousands and thousands of teenagers go off to college away from their families and the vast majority of them do just fine.

9. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
    San Jose, Calif
    2003 sport trac
    Stephen
    I pity the parent that trys to raise a child using whats written in books.
    Sort of like reading about do it yourself Prostate exams, cannot be done IMO

10. Stephen

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    Of course not, but there are experts in parenting out there that have spent their entire lives researching and studying what styles of parenting work and what don't, what types of behavior different styles of parenting bring about. I pity the parent who doesn't at least listen to what these people have to say and try and integrate it into the way they parent.

Parenting is something people can't even imagine until they do it, as you know, but that doesn't mean parents shouldn't take advice from experienced professionals.

11. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
    San Jose, Calif
    2003 sport trac
    Stephen
    Experianced pros are people that have been thru to process, with a succesfull outcome, thats been my experiance as I hope yours as well.
    When You raised your children, I seriously dougbt there was much litrature or scientific study as to how to do so, granted we did have DR.Spock to get us bumbling young parents thru measels and mumps.
    One can read reams of scientific study on child rearing, parenting,etc, most is written by people that work in university settings, people that have studied parents and children, most of whom have never raised children perhaps.
    Is in no way my intent to get into a pissing contest on how best to raise children , you have your ways, I have mine,ours have worked for my wife and I.
    we have 3 wonderfull children, they will always be our children no matter how old they are.
    It has always seemed to me that raising children requires a certain modicum of luck, the inherant ability of the parents to teach right from wrong and the grace of god.
    Is one PITA of a job,take care

12. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Suwanee, GA
    '99 Sport 4x4
    when stephen raised his kids, i don't think electricity was around.

:D

13. Critical_Level2

Critical_Level2 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Ridley Park, PA
    1999 XLS R.I.P.
    But on page 3 spindle said he was of the same age group, so does that mean electricity was invented when spindles first was born?

14. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
    San Jose, Calif
    2003 sport trac
    Stephen and I are perhaps 8 yrs apart, we used to buy beers for MR Edison
    we actually gave him the idea for the toggle light switch you all use today:)

15. Stephen

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    Yeah we're actually the one's who came up with this whole "lightbulb" thing, we really got screwed on that one didn't we spindle? LOL

That is true, we didn't have a lot in the way of information when we were raising our kids, if anything its really people of our generation (we had our son pretty late in life though) who raised kids and created all of the information today's parents have at their disposal. Some of it is I'm sure like you say, laboratory research that doesn't always have a lot of bearing on real world life but most of it is surveys and long term case studies of actual children in actual household that tells us a lot. Most of what it tells us is no one way of raising children is right or wrong its just that every way has its positives and negatives. I totally agree, no need to get into a pissing contest about whats right or wrong. In my case I was raised in a very authoritarian home and it stunted my growth, made me rebellious and irresponsible. I raised my son in a more authoritative environment and the results were starkly different. You've raised your children in a more authoritarian environment and they seem to have turned out just fine (and so did I, it just took me a while). I think there's a lot more to it than just styles of parenting...

As to our ages, I'm 62 so subtract however old you are and you'll have our differences in age lol. Like I said, my wife and I had our son pretty late in life.

EDIT- I just checked, 6 years difference.

16. spindlecone

spindlecone B

City, State:
    San Jose, Calif
    2003 sport trac
    Whoohoo
    We both are eligible for AARP benifits.
    nice interaction, should you ever come out west, stop by, just beware, should you want to go for a bike ride, you gotta stay in the driveway, old pharts such as we do not belong on the street:)
    My House, my bike, my rules

Last edited: October 26, 2004
  17. jasonb

jasonb Jackstand Wheeler Moderator Emeritus

City, State:
    Suwanee, GA
    '99 Sport 4x4
    awww... do we hear an explorerforum BINGO competition coming up?

18. jayhawkexplorer

jayhawkexplorer Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Mission, Kansas
    '97 XLT
    shuffleboard!!

19. Stephen

City, State:
    Annapolis, MD
    '97 Limited
    LOL, thanks I'll bring the parchessi board.

20. jared ajlouny

jared ajlouny Active Member

City, State:
    san jose, california
    '95 XLT 4X4
    i think since spindlecone pays for everything for his daughter she has to live under his rules reguardless of how old she is......PERIOD!!!!!!!