• Register Today It's free!

Kit vs Custom Exhaust?

RammaR

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4x4
I'm about to add a Flowmaster 50 series exhaust to my '96. I'm thinking 50 series because I just can't see a V6 having a really deep sound with say the 40 series that I'd want to broadcast.

Anyway, I've done a few searches here and some people are recommending getting the muffler and then having a local shop custom bend the pipe and install it. What is the real advantage in this approach versus buying a cat-back kit that just bolts in place? Is it because welding in place is that much better than bolting?

The kit I'm looking at is a 2.5" system with the SUV 50 series with mandrel bent pipes. Isn't the mandrel bending better than a local shops bending?

Thanks for any advice or tips you might have.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the system you are talking about and am very pleased with it. I took mine to a place and had them weld it anyways. You could probably save a few bux if you have a shop do it all. Most are able to do mandrel bending also.

Mind if I ask were you got your system and how much was it?
Best I've found so far was $201 at Truckperformance.com. I'll check with a local shop tomorrow and see if they can beat the deal. There is one close that is a Flowmaster dealer so maybe they can do it.

Thanks

Most shops don't do mandrel bending, but in reality for tail pipes it isn't necessary. Any system, kit or custom, is better off welded than clampped.

My advice, stated many a time. Get a good muffler shop to do the work. Tell them the exact sound and performance you are looking for, and they will usually know exactly what to hook you up with(brand name or not). Most good shops will give you the lifetime warranty on all parts. If your shop doesn't do mandrel bending (most small GOOD shops won't) ask to get all the piping 1/4" bigger. Remember, the best thing about these GOOD shops is you don't have to be an expert or know everything when you walk in the door, they understand that THAT is their job, not yours.

Robb

What would be a rough estimate of how much a new exhaust system would be and having the pipes custom bent at a shop with all the labor and parts included?

$200

PERSONALLY, I HAD THE 50 SERIES AND DIDN'T REALLY LIKE IT. IT WAS A MELLOW SOUND THAT WAS DEEPER THAN STOCK...HOWEVER, THE 40 SERIES I PUT ON MADE MY V6 SOUND BIGGER. I LOVE IT...

i payed $225 for my custom 2 1/4" bend with the flowmaster 50 series.

I love it... at about 2000 rpm theres a nice hummmmm
that with teh KKm when you get upward around 4k sounds vicious!

Ok, before I take the plunge with the Flowmaster, there is a place that sells MagnaFlow's that I'm thinking of checking out also. Anyone know how they sound on a 4.0 OHV compared to the Flowmaster 50 / 40 series?

Thanks

yea.... im curious about how the magnaflows sound compared to flowies as well. Im looking for somethin to put on my 99 Sport but dont know which to choose...

I personally like Magnaflows better. They're in general mellower, and have distinctive sound. They sound nice when you get on it and at idle, but are very nice in between. Interior resonance is less than with Flowies in general, but be sure people outside your truck can hear you coming and going.

Alec,

Are you talking about the Stainless Steel or the XL/Truck mufflers? The local shop said the Stainless "wide-open" ones were more for sports cars.. that they don't put too many on trucks/suvs. Not that they wouldn't of course.

The XL's look like a 3-chamber design similar to the Flow 50. So I'd guess you're talking about the "wide open" version but figured I'd ask which style you have been recommending.

Thanks

I've used 2 of their open mufflers. The first was a 2.5, and now a 3". The 2.5" was perfect for my truck, and sounded great. Coupled with a 2.25" tailpipe, I had the perfect amount of backpressure for the OHV motor.

Of course then I got the supercharger and everything changed ;)

I have seen the Flowmaster cat back in Summit for less than 200 If I remember right it was $154. I am planning on one for my X.

Tim

Back