KKM | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM

In all honesty the KKM is most likely NOT going to show anything on a dyno...A fan cant simulate the airflow of drivin 50mph. It still not gonna make a big difference until you get enough mods to make the engine need more air than the stock box could provide

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by DarkFox1
good lord thats good gas mileage. I get 12.9 at best

howd you tie the filter up? you dont want any unfiltired air getting in there, I'm not sure how yer box is desgined but I'm not sure mine could even do that.
The 97 uses a cylindrical filter right?
The 91-94s have a sqaure filter.
There is a tube that runs to the bottom half of a square box.
The filter sits on top of that and you bolt the top half of the box on with the MAF and stuff attached to it.

I just removed the bottom half and used 3 pieces of floral wire to strap the filter to the top, no leaks.

I'm doing it mostly as a personal test.
I'll run at least a few more months before I make any real decisions on what effect it had.
Give me time to get use to the noise and remove my foot from the throttle body.:D

not my 97.. it had a box filter. I guess ford thought the round filter with the pre-bent tube was too good an intake for a 4500 pound vehicle,m and decided a small box filter with a rubber ribbed tube would be a lot more inefficient :p

well, I like the noise mine makes heh, the stock air box is designed to be as quiet as possible, and with a flow50 and a system, quiet is not what I'm worried about heh

as long as the filter is covering the entire opening where the air is taken in, theres no worry, unless you hit a buch of puddles, then you may get some water, but thats not likley unless you offroad

i just installed my KKM. its pretty cool. but i was a little disappointed. i thought i was getting the whole intake with the tube. i even called KKM cuz i thought they made a mistake.

so do you guys think the $100 KKM filter still has better performance than the $250 K&N whole intake kit?

also, i started installing it without reading the instructions and i lost the position of the bracket and longer bolt. i think i found the proper placement of the bracket but it fit on very very tight. i had to bend the intake hose quite a bit to fit it on. did you guys have this problem too?

I drilled a hole for where the bracket bolts onto the turck. Other than that It was a fine install. Just a filter and adapter come with it. Did you reset the computer?

the instructions said that there was an existing hole next to the radiator, but it was a tight fit. let me get this straight, when looking at the engine, the bracket goes on the top bolt closest to you, right? and then i have the "L" piece point to the left on the wall next to the radiator?

i unplugged the neg battery during the install. it reset my clock but it still kept my radio presets. im just guessing this reset my comp.

does the K&N tube do anything more?

Do any of you have a pic? You're raising my curiousity over here. :D
Is it a cold-air-intake type of setup?

Thanks.
Lou.

19861_82_full.jpg

nope.. no cold air, infact I've been told the air it takes in is a little bit warmer than the stock box.. but its more air, so supposedly it evens it out.

from the looks of the pic, looks like i did it right. but did everyone else have such a tough time putting it in?

at idle and low speeds the air temp is gonna be the same or maybe warmer, at speed the air will be cooler, and it'll get more air.

I have been reading about the KKM kit for a while now but already have a K&N filter in my stock box. After looking around in the engine compartment I decided that the restrictions in the intake system are in the pipes leading into and out of the box.

What I did was take the box out (held in by a single bolt) and used a hole saw to drill holes all the way around the bottom half of it. I used a combination of 1" and 2.5" holes to offset and resonant sound problems that may arise from same sized holes.

I only did it yesterday and the major difference i have seen is the sound. Does the KKM sound that loud during WOT? Mine is VERY noticable. I expect that I will see some gains as the computer recalibrates itself.

I would like to change out the intake hose next as the flat oval one screams restriction to me. I also plan to add a Flowmaster Cat back system. The cat back made huge gains in the 2.9L Ranger when i did it so the same should be true for the 4.0L as the both suffer from the same exhaust problem.

Mike Pensinger
beermkr at pensinger.net
www.pensinger.net

I dont know what all the complaining is about personally. Yes the kkm is louder, but its not so loud that a good stereo can drown it out easily. Beisdes, its a good sound :)

I had no problem installing mine.. maybe an hour.. and the only reason it took that long was cos of the hole that I had to drill to mount it (in the small oval opening in the front radiator support)

when you say "cat back" are you including cats in this? stupid question I know but I've wondered this forever.

if not.. then I dont think you will see any gains at all from an exhaust swap.. if so.. you will

I also noticed no gains of anything but sound from my filter.

when you say "cat back" are you including cats in this? stupid question I know but I've wondered this forever.

if not.. then I dont think you will see any gains at all from an exhaust swap.. if so.. you will
[/QUOTE

The common use of the term cat back does NOT include replacing the cats, kust the pipes and miffler(s).

And, YES, it does make a difference,

not a flowmaster 50 dual in/out muffler and custom bent pipes.. I'm there :p only diff. is sound.

maybe if the pipes were bent by a company that researched exhaust flow instead of a shop with a mandrel machine heh

not a flowmaster 50 dual in/out muffler and custom bent pipes.. I'm there :p only diff. is sound.

maybe if the pipes were bent by a company that researched exhaust flow instead of a shop with a mandrel machine heh

Aren't you the one with the truck that just isn't....?

Sure works for me as well as others.

the KKM is NOT worth the money.... .AT ALL. if you want a cone filter.... go to a hardware store and get a plumbing adapter that is a flat plate to 3" and use a and drill 4 holes to match your mas plate... attatch the filter to it... and hook it all up.... pay 100 bucks for a filter that they get for 15$??? they are a rip off...

i agree, i was disappointed with my kkm. $100 for just a filter?

Sorry it didn't do it for you guys. In my opinion and many others it was $100 well spent and I would do it again.

-Matt :cool:

you can make your own for 30 bucks..... and its not gonna improve too much...... cause its still sucking air through the ridged flat to round intake hose... ( on first gens )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by 91 4x4 4door
Sorry it didn't do it for you guys. In my opinion and many others it was $100 well spent and I would do it again.

-Matt :cool:

dont get me wrong, i think it was worth it too. im just saying it shouldn't cost that much but you cant get it cheaper anywhere else, so its worth it.

Back