Knocked something loose... concerned!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Knocked something loose... concerned!!

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Okay so most of you probably know, me and rydinhigh have been working on getting the parking lights to turn on with the fog lights in our '95s... well today he told me that it's the wrong relay that I've been working on, so I went under the hood today to tape up the wire tubing I cut open yesterday. While trying to get the realy box back on it's holder, I was pulling some wires out of the way, and all of a sudden something came loose, and the wires pulled out of the way, but I heard a hissing noise. I looked over, and by the engine there is a ball-looking thing, about the size of a baseball, and a little gray plug with a wire coming out of it had come loose. I plugged it back in, and went about my business. But when I got into the truck to leave, the battery light stayed on after I started the truck, and stayed on for about five mins, began to flicker, and then turned off completely. Any idea if I did something bad or knocked anything else loose that would make the battery light do that? I'm a little concerned... Thanks...

The ball thing is a vacuum regulator for the ventalation system so the wire was a vacumm pipe. But the alternator is very nearby so I would guess that you've knocked something in that region chack all the plugs at the back of the alternator. Make sure that you have plugged the vacuum pipes in the right way round I had that problem and if there wrong you can't set the screen/face/floor switch it all comes out the screen only. There are no markings on the ball or the pips to show which way round the go and they are the same fitting.
All the best my 2p's worth.

There was only one plug going into it, so I'm assuming I put it back in right, but just in case I'll double check....

I'll keep you posted to if the light comes on still after I check everything out..... thanks!

Back