Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Knocking sound coming from liftgate area

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by Zodiac, October 5, 2018.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Zodiac

Zodiac Active Member

Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2017 Ford Explorer Sport
    When the vehicle is parked I noticed there is a sound that comes from the rear passenger side/lift gate window area.

It is a tapping noise, I have noticed it mainly when the vehicle is at a stand still and not moving...the air conditioning is not on and the sound happens both when the vehicle is on and off. I don't know whether I hear it while the vehicle is in motion but I will pay a little bit more attention to see whether it is or not.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thanks.

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. thefranchise713

thefranchise713 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Buffalo, NY
    '18 Toyota Prius Prime
    I had to shim the top of the plastic and bottom of the headliner with some foam tape on the driver's side. Started vibrating out of nowhere one day. Just needed a touch of padding.

Recommend having a helper sit in the driver's seat, hold foot on brake/engage parking brake (get the RPMs to drop with engine load from being in gear), while you move to rear area of car to pin point--start by holding your hand on the plastic C pillar pieces and then on the headliner. If it goes away, apply foam tape to the top of the c-pillar (small piece is probably all you need).

4. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2020 Aviator Reserve
    Callsign:
    VE3
    That fact that you hear it with the vehicle turned off is interesting. In that case, I wouldn't think it should have anything to do with vibrations or anything being active. Does it disappear at all after a period of time once the vehicle is turned off? Did this issue just start? Any chance a little critter found its way inside the panel? Your subwoofer is located in that area on the side.

Peter