Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Knocking sound from front passenger area when going over bumps

Discussion in 'Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers' started by Alexely999, May 13, 2014.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

1. Alexely999

Alexely999 New Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, California
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    1993 Ford Explorer XLT4X4
    Hey guys, this is my first post so sorry if I'm posting to the wrong area. I have a 93 Explorer xlt 4X4. It has 90,xxx miles and I got it from my grandpa as he no longer drives. I'm trying to figure out a knocking/bumping noise coming from the front passenger corner of the truck. Most noticeable when going over speed bumps. The problem is definitely on the right side, the driver side feels great and no noises. I jacked up the front and there is no play with the right front wheel. It doesn't sound like a worn bearing either. Any ideas?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. MayJan

MayJan Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Gibsonville, NC
    '94 XLT 5-speed
    Could be a ball joint, or possibly one of the bushings in the swaybar, but my vote is for the radius arm bushings! :)

4. Alexely999

Alexely999 New Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, California
    What's the best way to test if it's bad? Also another issue I'm having possibly related: the steering wheel turns to the right while braking. So if you tightly grip the steering wheel while braking, it forces the truck to veer to the left. I hope that makes sense.
    I already checked out the calipers and pads on both sides and they arnt sticking. Bled both also to make sure the brake fluid was getting through to the caliper piston.
    Any ideas?

5. gmbroy

gmbroy Elite Explorer

Media:
    City, State:
    Orange VA
    1996 explorer Eddie Bauer
    I would say it probably is the radius arm bushing giving you the clunk , you have something wrong with the right side breaks . maybe pinched line , blocked line or caliper . hope this helps you some . :salute: After hearing what MayJan said I think he is dead on . I did not think about the arm moving enough to pull you to one side . DUH !!! LOL Once you get the radus bushings done it will do fine . I will suggest you go ahead & do both of them . about 140.00 labor at a shop , then get your front end aligned . Wish you luck with your explorer . Keep up the pm & they will give you long & dependable service .

Last edited: May 14, 2014
  6. Spdrcer34

Spdrcer34 Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Bremerton, WA
    1992 Explorer XL
    Its definitely the Radius Arm Bushings.

7. MayJan

MayJan Well-Known Member

City, State:
    Gibsonville, NC
    '94 XLT 5-speed
    And if the radius arm bushing is in REAL bad shape, then it would let the right side axle move to the rear when you apply the brakes, causing the "pull" to the right that you mentioned. Hope that helps, and good luck!

8. rbbaker

rbbaker Member

City, State:
    Calgary, Alberta
    2002 XLT, 1992 XLT
    I would definitely agree with the others about it being the radius arm bushing. Had exactly the same issue. Actually still do, crappy winter here in Calgary so have been unable to get around to changing them out.

9. Alexely999

Alexely999 New Member

City, State:
    Bay Area, California
    Okay thanks I'll check first thing tomorrow morning (I'm stuck at work)
    It's for sure not a pinched/blocked brake fluid line.

10. littlebro294

littlebro294 Member

City, State:
    California
    1994 Ford Explorer
    Agree with everyone also, had one that was clunking when going over bumps and it got to the point to where it was moving my tire backwards when applying the breaks, you might have some trouble getting the new ones back on if that is the problem, they are a pain to change but well worth it to keep your explorer safe!

11. Travisfab

Travisfab Active Member

City, State:
    San Diego CA
    94' Explorer & 95' Bronco
    It could be a ton of different things, you just have to start eliminating them one by one