Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Knocking??!!!

Discussion in 'Under the Hood' started by jasonf83, October 4, 2002.

• Searches ExplorerForum.com
    1. jasonf83

jasonf83 Active Member

City, State:
      Newnan GA
      Year, Model & Trim Level:
      93 XLT
      I have a 93 explorer with 184000 miles. For like a year now i have noticed a lifter tap but just reciently when I have floored it I would here a knocking noise? It is noticible and is freaking me out? My explorer dosent leek oil or smoke but i have to put about a quart of oil in evry 1500 miles? My CEL does not come on?Do yall know what my problem is and is there any thing i can do?

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

to hide adverts.
    3. TPLYNCH

TPLYNCH Well-Known Member

City, State:
      Brewster, NY
      1999 XLS
      R U sure it's not "pinging" or "spark knock"? Usually, that's the type of noise heard when the engine is under stress. Try cleaning your Mass Air Sensor and see if that takes care of it. If not, then you can try a Carbon cleanout... Last resort would be to try higher octane gas, but I don't recommend that.

4. ESKYMOPACK

ESKYMOPACK New Member

City, State:
      NEGAUNEE
      1997 EXPLORER
      Don't forget to check the donut-gasket or any leak on your exhaust manifold or a bad engine mount. Your exhaust system will rap up against the frame under hi-torque if the mount is bad.