Dismiss Notice

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

Known timing chain issues?

Discussion in 'Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion' started by egallus83, May 18, 2019.

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^
  1. egallus83

egallus83 New Member

City, State:
    Chisholm, Minnesota
    Year, Model & Trim Level:
    2011 Chevy Equinox
    Hello! I currently have a 2011 Chevy Equinox. It broke down little over a year ago, timing chain went, along with pistons going everywhere... long story short, had to get the whole engine replaced. Finally was able to fix it and got it back around October last year. And what do you know, now it’s got the same thing wrong with it. I really don’t wanna put anymore money into it to fix, $3,000 is enough already lol.
    Anyway, I’ve been looking at Explorers. Specifically 2014-2016 Explorer sport. I’ve heard that they also have timing chain issues. Just looking for advice on how often it actually occurs... experience with the engines... any other known problems?? Thanks!

2. Support EF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see practically no ads, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

3. peterk9

peterk9 Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    Ottawa, Ontario area
    2017 Explorer Platinum
    Callsign:
    VE3
    If you want to see what kind of things to look out for, check this thread; Hints for a Pre-Pick Up Inspection & Used Ex. Check List
    I just did a 'Search' on possible timing chain issues and found one member who had a stretched chain and another that had an actual failure that was due to a link falling out due to improper crimping. I don't see where the timing chain is a concern based on this. There were some posts about "rattles" but none that comfirmed it was because of the 'chain'. A few members had the timing chain replaced as a preemptive job when they had the water pump failure causing the engine to be replaced.

Peter

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  4. blwnsmoke

blwnsmoke Staff Member Moderator Elite Explorer

City, State:
    2011 Explorer Limited
    I have yet to see someone that has had a timing chain break. I have seen a couple people that have said their chain has stretched but we are talking less then a handfull.

• Like Like x 2
  5. egallus83

egallus83 New Member

City, State:
    Chisholm, Minnesota
    2011 Chevy Equinox
    Ok that’s good to know

6. Explorer75

Explorer75 Active Member

2013 Ford Explorer XLT
    I can advise several things:

1. The fewest miles the better
    2. Buy one that has a service record, routine oil changes are a must, you don´t want a truck that was forgotten to change the oil. Open the oil cap a use a flash light or cellphone, you want that cap and the internals clean, if you see any black deposits, walk away!
    3. Have it checked by a trusted mechanic.
    4. You want to have your mechanic crank that engine first thing in the day, after the engine sat overnight. That´s were timing chains usually are noisy.
    5. A good drive with engine warmed up, try a/c on windows up, a/c off windows down good rev of the engine. Always, always turn off the radio. You can test audio at another time. Always suspect when a sales man cranks up the volume.

• Like Like x 1
  7. egallus83

egallus83 New Member

City, State:
    Chisholm, Minnesota
    2011 Chevy Equinox
    Good idea!!! I’ve found one 2014 Explorer Sport with 50k miles on it, i really like the sport models!
    I wish the 2016 had the same style rims as the 2014-2015 sports lol

8. egallus83

egallus83 New Member

City, State:
    Chisholm, Minnesota
    2011 Chevy Equinox
    Also I do have a trusted mechanic who has done the motor swap with my Equinox and is now gonna look at it again and see what’s going on with the timing chain and any other problems. I really don’t even wanna fix it but can you trade in a car with problems???? Also can you take a car your interested in buying to a mechanic to check out before you buy it???

9. Mbrooks420

Mbrooks420 High Voltage. Elite Explorer EF Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    1998 Mountaineer AWD
    People trade in cars with issues all the time. If someone doesn’t want you to get a car checked out by a mechanic, they already know something is wrong with it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. egallus83

egallus83 New Member

City, State:
    Chisholm, Minnesota
    2011 Chevy Equinox
    @Explorer75

We Support Our Troops!